WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't played with the Apple Watch in person, but I'm having a hard time finding any real use for them at all. Just seems to do a crappier job of what the phone in your pocket can already do.

That said, for all the brilliance employed in a fine crafted timepiece, your Omega only tells you the time. Another thing that the phone in your pocket can solve for you.

So that out of the way, is anyone here going to store away their Omegas and open up wrist real estate to try out Apple's latest 'must have'?

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
I may actually snag an Apple watch to play around with. How often I wear it is a different matter, but I am intrigued. I think it'll take some time for people to figure out how best to use it, but I'm intrigued by it. Luckily, Apple products tend to resell fairly well (especially overseas), so if I don't like it or don't wear it, I'll get rid of it. I don't see it replacing my mechanical watches though.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't wear my Omega all the time as it is. I might add the Apple Watch for workouts or very casual leisure. For day to day use, it would still be the Aqua Terra.

Reactions: PJC618

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I have never owned anything "Apple" and do not plan to do so anytime in the future.

I do have a Pebble Steel and like its functionality and 5+ day power reserve. The price wasn't bad either but will admit that the novelty wore off rather quickly.

For those that covet the latest and greatest "I-anything", the Apple watch will be on their wish list along with the Apple toothbrush, shaver, car, e-cig, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm also intrigued by the apple watch but i don't want to purchase a watch of all things that's guaranteed obsolete or inferior in 10-14 months. i already do that with the iphone..

if they do make an iwatch that can spray hot sauce i may have to give in..

·
Registered
14 Posts
As you said OP, the iPhone in my pocket already does what the iWatch is said to do. I'm not lazy enough to justify purchasing a watch that will save me the split second it takes to take my phone out of my pocket (no offense to those who are going to purchase it… I am lazy in other regards). Not to mention that although I am young, I respect the beauty and craftsmanship of a mechanical watch too much to replace it with Apple tech.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Absolutely, I am! I'm going to throw all of my watches away, because someone invented a "watch" that beeps when i receive an email and let's me skip to the next song playing on my phone. Why wouldn't I?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The launch of Apple Watch should convince you to take your Omegas (or any other mechanical timepiece) OUT OF STORAGE.

"Oh you've got an Apple Watch? Nice. Check out this beauty wrapped around MY wrist."

·
Premium Member
24,364 Posts
I don't do Apple but really would you design such a device that doesn't have solar battery UNLESS you just want to sell unique chargers etc. Wish I could at least understand the Apple mentality but I just can not.

One way you can check on this: Charlie Rose is a huge Apple fan but also a big Rolex fan. See which he wears daily in a few weeks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I recall discussing the iPad 1 when it first came out over dinner with some friends and I was convinced that it had no place as laptops and smart phones left little room for them. I was obviously very wrong as even I ended up buying one and have had an iPad ever since. That being said, I will still say that I personally don't see where the iWatch will fit in my life as that the craftsmanship beats out the tech for my wrist any day (even as a big fan of Apple products)

So for me, no iWatch

·
Registered
34 Posts
The other night, I stopped by an Apple Store to check out the Apple Watch. I almost pre-ordered one, but I wasn't sure which model/strap combination I wanted. Overall, I came away extremely impressed. Unlike other smart watches, this actually looks premium and, dare I say it, eloquent. The build quality is truly fantastic, and for $349 for the base aluminum model with a rubber strap, or even $699 for a SS one with a leather strap, there is nothing that can compete remotely close to that price range.

Additionally, you have to admit that the features of the Apple Watch are pretty cool. I bought a Fitbit and have been wearing it nearly nonstop in the four months since I got it, and I've grown to love it. In a way, the Apple Watch combines the cool features of the Fitbit (as well as taking them to a new level) with (somewhat) the classic look of a watch. Initially, I thought that Fitbit and its competitors would be devastated, but I actually think that the fitness band segment will survive relatively unscathed. Fitness bands are much cheaper ($150 at most, $75-$100 on average) and are designed to be non-intrusive, unlike a watch. I also like how I can wear one in conjunction with a watch.

So, will I buy one? Yes. Will it replace my Speedmaster or Rolex? Absolutely not. I don't wear nice watches daily as it is (1-2 days/week usually), so no wrist time will be stolen. Additionally, I wouldn't even say this competes with Omega or Rolex. Nobody buys a nice watch solely to tell the time, as a $30 quartz or digital watch will do a better job. I think that Omega, Rolex, and competitors will find that their sales are virtually unchanged. However, the entry-level Swiss watchmakers (Victorinox, Tissot, etc.) and the mid-tier Japanese watchmakers (Seiko, Citizen, Orient, etc.) have a lot to fear, as I honestly think that the Apple Watch renders them pretty much obsolete. I have a couple of decent Victorinox pieces, and I honestly can't foresee many situations in which I would wear them instead of the Apple Watch. As I said, the build quality of the Apple Watch is truly superb, and sadly, I just don't think the offerings in the same price bracket will be able to compete.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts