WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the Riviera, but there doesn't seem to be too big of a following for it on this site. Can someone chime in on the reputation of the brand before and the reputation now?

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
If you are talking about a vintage watch, e.g. from the 1980s or earlier, there could be some interest. Could you perhaps share some photos and information about the watch you are interested in and explain its appeal to you. Maybe there will be some other B&M fans on the forum. If you are talking about a more modern watch, this may be the wrong forum.

IMO, Baume and Mercier is a mid-tier brand today, but doesn't seem to have a strong history of innovation and/or particularly high quality historically, at least in my experience. Interestingly, most of the vintage B&M watches I see are fakes. And amongst the legit vintage B&M watches I see, most are mundane pieces assembled from mid-level off the shelf components. So I agree that it doesn't have a strong following among vintage collectors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are talking about a vintage watch, e.g. from the 1980s or earlier, there could be some interest. Could you perhaps share some photos and information about the watch you are interested in and explain its appeal to you. Maybe there will be some other B&M fans on the forum. If you are talking about a more modern watch, this may be the wrong forum.

IMO, Baume and Mercier is a mid-tier brand today, but doesn't seem to have a strong history of innovation and/or particularly high quality historically, at least in my experience. Interestingly, most of the vintage B&M watches I see are fakes. And amongst the legit vintage B&M watches I see, most are mundane pieces assembled from mid-level off the shelf components. So I agree that it doesn't have a strong following among vintage collectors.
I'm a big fan of the look of this Riviera GMT although probably not as vintage as it should be for this forum

KVQ4fTd.jpg

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,166 Posts
Since this discussion is moving towards modern B&M watches, I will move this away from Vintage/PW. Since we don't have a B&M forum, it's going to "Public" - I will refrain from shifting it to "Affordables" but if the concensus is that their watches are affordable enough, it might be moved further.

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
I'd put it a bit above the likes of Hamilton, Mido, etc. A lot of their watches are in the same category, but B&M also tends to make some slightly higher level watches, and has the baumatic line of movements.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
I’d place them in the middle ground but if you like the watch then get it - don’t worry what tier it may be allocated to. It’s not a junker and that’s what matters.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When I was a kid, there was a local jewelry store that used to run a lot of ads on tv. They were always advertising Baume et Mercier women's watches, gold ones, showing pictures of them on elegantly dressed women and speaking about them with the right French accent to make them sound like the fanciest things ever invented. My parents gave me a B&M watch as a graduation present, too, a Classima. (31mm, a normal men's watch size in 1987.) So to me, they will always be "high end." Rationally speaking I suppose they are middle-ground, competing with Longines, positioned slightly above Tissot or Raymond Weil. I think they really focus on dress watches, not sports watches, so comparing them to Oris or Mido or Hamilton might be misleading.

I've owned two B&Ms and have no complaints about either. There has been talk on this board about spotty QC but its hard to tell if thats a real problem or just a few anecdotal incidents.

·
Registered
L688.4 5X53 6L35 4R36 7D56 H851 F6922
845 Posts
Richemont is trying to pull it up, along with Montblanc, but there is little space for both under JLC and IWC.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Honestly, it always seems like the brand is priced one tier above what it actually offers in terms of design/innovation/quality...

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,357 Posts
I really like the Riviera, but there doesn't seem to be too big of a following for it on this site. Can someone chime in on the reputation of the brand before and the reputation now?
B&M is in good company with other brands that don't attract much collector interest on WUS. And yet they have a reputation for making nicely designed durable watches that are enjoyed by their owners. If you find a B&M watch that looks good I would say just go for it and enjoy.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Baume & Mercier makes some REALLY nice pieces. I'm quite fond of the Clifton Complete Calendar:

Baume-Mercier-10055-Complete-Calendar-14.jpg

If you look at Hodinkee's press releases from Watches and Wonders 2020, you'll see some really nice new pieces, too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have been a huge fan of their discontinued titanium yellow dialed diver from long ago...and their new rectangular big date gmt from w&w 2020 is absolutely beautiful...I wonder if it is small enough to be classic

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
I owned a Baume et Mercier and no issues. Felt well built. I would own another one. But for some reason it does not get much vibe these days. Cheers!

Reactions: Nokie and jmsolt

·
Premium Member
36,401 Posts
I have owned a few and always found the quality to be well done.

Nothing fancy, but a solid, nicely built watch, IMHO.

I agree with Chris. I would easily get another if I found a model that appealed to me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have recently been working very intensively with this brand as I did not know much about Baume & Mercier. I was looking for a timeless but good quality ladies automatic. The reason was the conferment of my niece where we usually give "gifts for adult life". I really liked the Rivera. But I see it more as the "Santos for the smaller purse" and much more sporty designed. The first Rivera was designed by Gerald Genta. In this tradition I see the watch brand as well in the last decades. Designer watches of very good quality. The collector's market concentrates more on toolwatches. I've got the watch revised. The movement is a good modified ETA and my watchmaker had his thumbs up. I bought an used steel/gold one from 2006 because the Rivera isn't available any more and of course this match better with my budget:

SAM_2905.JPG

sorry for the blurry foto. I'm happy really with my decision which takes a while and don't think it ia an "lower tier" brand. I bought this one in the end of the last year to have enough time for my watch makers check/revision. Out of Germany I can report that the new Baumatic Serie with the manufacturer caliber and a bid the Hampton serie is becoming more and more popular within the last mounths.

Regards Silke

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
It is indeed a mid tier brand so nothing special here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts