WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am relatively new to the forum, but i feel there is no love for some awesome and well respected high horology watch brands as compared to other cheaper brands that command a lot of attention in WUS.

I am speaking here about Blancpain, the oldest watch in history. The only watch brand that stayed loyal to mechanical movement and never ventured into Quartz. That was there moto "since 1735 there has never been a Quartz Blancpain watch. and there will never be".

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Photograph Fashion accessory

The company that produced some of the most complicated watches in a 34mm case (that is craftsmanship on par with Patek Philippe)

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Material property Brand

Yes the company had a period where production stopped in the 70s. But then the brand bounced back in early 80s better than ever with some of the most amazing complicated and dress watches ever when Jacques Piguet and Jean-Claude Biver took over the brand.

They have one of the greatest stories to tell. They have some of the most amazing and nostalgic designs ever. They produce some of the highest complicated watches with some of the most amazing finish in the industry. They are the highest horology brand that Swatch Group owns. Yet it doesn't get much love.

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

I never run into someone in a cafe, a hotel lobby, a cigar club or an airport lounge with a Blancpain. There are higher chances I meet someone with a Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet or even a Rolex than meeting someone with Blancpain.

What is Blancpain missing?

What are they doing wrong?
What are they not doing to appeal to people?
Please share your opinion

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have always like Blancpain, and I think the do get the respect they deserve on the forums. So I not sure what your point is.

On a total different topic why is it when ever I see a picture of Jean-Claude Biver. I instantly think of skeletor.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
They are relatively unknown to the general public.
They should have invested much more in marketing.
They missed the boat, and I’m not sure whether they’ll ever recover.
Not venturing into quartz is nothing to be proud of.
Achievements are worthless if the public isn’t made aware of them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have liked the brand since I had the chance to handle a few. Very well made. My issue was with what they charge, you get more in a JLC for same price.
I still read old issues of Lettres Du Brassus.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
They are relatively unknown to the general public.
They should have invested much more in marketing.
They missed the boat, and I'm not sure whether they'll ever recover.
Not venturing into quartz is nothing to be proud of.
Achievements are worthless if the public isn't made aware of them.
Good summary, I would also add their last 50 fathoms don't look AT ALL like the famous original one.

Unlike the Submarines the current FF looks like a completely different watch so what's the point? To that we can add it's a resurrected brand that since resurrection hasn't put out anything remarkable.

·
Registered
41,803 Posts
Used to sell them and the only one that I found interesting was the 'Time Zone extra-flat'. After their test run, I didn't miss them

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Because you don't see many in the wild doesn't mean they're dying.

I like the FF 50th and the Mil-Spec for starters.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
"...Blancpain, the oldest watch in history. The only watch brand that stayed loyal to mechanical movement and never ventured into Quartz."

Has Brequet or Panerai ever made a Quartz watch? Oris almost has a clean record but did make a few.

Reactions: Watchbreath

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I find that their dress line could use more work. Especially at their asking prices. However their sports watches are quite nice. While the FF is large, it is an imposing and undeniable watch and has a signature look like none other (something most brands crave for).

The Bathyscaphe added to that niche perfectly and like any other watch has its share of folks who don't really care for it or find details that don't suit their preferences, but I personally really like my Bathyscaphe 38mm as its perfect on my small wrist and one of the nicest watches in my collection. The overall quality of the watch is top notch. They do need to fill in the gaps though and I'm sure they will. Its either too big or too small seems to be a general complaint on BP sports watches and I can relate to that. That said BP has seen strong sales in the past year from what I've heard and we should expect them to do more to improve on these.

If they make a standard production 40-41mm FF that is slim and wearable, it will sell really well. The problem is their market positioning is trying too hard to push into stratosphere instead of trying to grab the 10k market that the base Bathyscaphe has proven to be reasonably successful at.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have the FF and I love it more than my Sub. Also planning to get other models later on maybe dressy Villeret. I think Blancpain is doing very well, especially certain model ranges and they are a highly rated Manufacture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Azizu

·
Registered
880 Posts
No to the first, and who knows to the second.

Fifty Fathoms is popular with rich millennial collectors and rappers.

Don't hear about much on the blogs or the forums because the blogs and forums are mainly for middle-aged white dudes (like me).

Also, Swiss watch industry management is mainly up of, in the words of Richemont boss Johann Rupert, "grey Frenchmen", aka middle-aged white dudes. They are struggling to get their arms around how to market to folks who are not "grey Frenchmen". Blancpain marketing is garbage, their website is trash. The FF is doing well because at the retail level savvy salepeople know how to sell it and who to sell it to.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I hope not! And not if Putin has anything to say about it!
It's rare that I get to see them in a shop, might be part of the perceived problem. I think the Fifty Fathoms and the Bathy version are really pretty watches. I'm also surprised how the Aqualung catches my eye when I see it in pics; there's something about that design I appreciate.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts