WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below are three top contenders for my selection of a dress watch commemorating my 35th wedding anniversary. (Notice there are no Oris products!) My question is about wearing brown straps such as these with a black tux or suit. Is that allowed? My own color coordinating skills tell me I'm going to need additional black straps when any of these are worn with black suits. Am I wrong? If I'm right... why don't these premium manufacturers provide both brown and black straps with quick change pins? At this price point whats a few hundred more dollars for the sake of versatility?

Lange 1.jpg Breguet Classique.jpg Grande Reverso GMT.jpg

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I think each, or any, of the above-referenced choices will work exceptionally well with a suit. If you are comfortable wearing one, that is all that matters; trust me, people will be more interested in what beautiful timepiece you are wearing and not that it does fails to perfectly match your suit.

mike.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
It would bother me, especially with a tux, but to each his own. For me, wearing a tux is like the epitome of dress, and there should be absolutely nothing that doesn't fit the template, even a beautiful watch. Black tie, black strap.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
In theory you wouldn't wear a watch with a tux at all. In practice, I wouldn't personally wear brown with a tux. Brown works with dark suits (charcoal or dark grey) as long as you have matching accents (brown shoes and belt if your suit has belt loops, warmer colours on the tie or pocket square, gold wedding band or cufflinks). Brown with a black suit doesn't really go, but actual black suits are pretty rare anyway outside of tuxes.

Of course, that's all just conceptual propriety. Realistically, no one will care if your nice watch doesn't quite match your outfit.

·
Registered
27,133 Posts
1. Get a new job! (one where you don't have to wear a suit, problem solved)

2. If you ever need a tux (not sure why unless you're standing up in a wedding) then wear whatever you want with it, anyone who will care is a d-bag anyway, and if you're voluntarily wearing a tux for any other reason then please see suggestion #1 again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Black strap with black tie, short of that brown is fine.

Get the ALS, you will thank me when at your 50th. The Breguet is much closer to a true dress watch but MOST people don't need one very often.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but why the random "no Oris" in the post? Seems to be out of left field.
It is a reference to the OP's post regarding possibly picking an Oris over a Patek

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Buy the Lange and purchase a Camille Fournet strap with quick change pins.
Again congrats on the milestone.

·
Premium Member
7,966 Posts
why don't these premium manufacturers provide both brown and black straps with quick change pins?
Obviously, their answer is that you simply by another watch that comes only with a black strap!

More to the point, I would get a black strap also and change it as appropriate.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Obviously, their answer is that you simply by another watch that comes only with a black strap!

More to the point, I would get a black strap also and change it as appropriate.

You'd be surprised! I know a guy who has two black cal 16 Tag Heuer Carrera chronos, one on a bracelet, one on a strap.

I wish I was joking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Obviously, the only solution is to get yourself fitted for a few suits in mid-grey, navy, and/or brown. And get matching shoes and belt. That way, you don't have to worry about the watch matching your outfit, you just have to worry about your outfit matching your watch.

;-)

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Black or gray suit (tux if you must)....black shoes, black watch strap, black belt and white gold or stainless watch. Brown or green suit (ugh), brown shoes, watch strap, belt and yellow or rose gold watch.

Antiquated notions? Perhaps. Something noticed and commented on by me and many other business executives/older folks at meetings or social events; absolutely. If one doesn't care about these things, one shouldn't gripe when not getting the job one may be going for. Not that the color of ones accessories would dictate qualification, however, it is something that is noticed and adds or subtracts from the hiring/social graces equation.

I know the OP's question was not for a job....just an observation that applies in social circumstances as well.

Just Friday evening someone at a higher end affair at the Liberty Hotel in Boston commented on a young man dressed in a beautiful gray suit, pocket chief and all, and the brown belt and shoes which killed it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Shoot I thought this was a discussion of brown-dialed watches. Either way, I vote for the ALS over the Oris (and I own an Oris dress watch).

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
IMHO it's more important that the strap matches the watch than a suit and those beauties belong on brown straps.
Can't I just say a totally out of context Oris? :-d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts