WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Moderator Public Forum
26,091 Posts
After reading that thread about the love and hate people have on Invicta, I wondered why there's not a lot of talk here about Bulova watches. What's your opinion on these watches? I mean the low end kind like the Marine Star series.
Bulova continues to make some very nice watches. For example in their Accutron line there are several Gemini models using the ETA 2892-a2 movement that can be had for around $250.00

· Moderator Public Forum
26,091 Posts
Just realize that today's "Bulova" and "Accutron" bear no resemblance or lineage to those of the mid-20th century. They are just resurrected brand names by new rights owners.
Ownership of the Bulova brand and the associated model Accutron has changed hands much as ownership of many other swiss and american names have changed. Look at all of the once independent brands now under the Swatch and LVMH and Seiko corporate umbrellas. Have Orient and Mido lost their validity as watch brands because of an ownership change?

When you say the watches from Bulova from today such as the Accutron bear no resemblance or lineage to those from the mid-20th century I'm not sure I understand how that situation differs from many others. For example the the long running Omega Seamaster brand was once tied to dress watches that used slow running bumper movements made by Omega. Today the Seamaster brand is tied to sporty watches that use faster running and more accurate quartz and mechanical movements no longer made by Omega. Compare that to the Bulova Accutron which started out as a dressy watch using a tuning fork movement. Many of the Accutron watches of today remain dressy watches and they use a combination of modern quartz and automatic movements.

There are few if any watch brands that remain the same as they once were in the 1950's. Rolex attempts to trade on lineage back to the 1950's, but it doesn't take a close look to show their models have changed considerably too.

I enjoy a couple of tuning fork watches for the chapter in watch history that they represent. But I'm glad that Omega, Longines, Accutron and all the other companies realized the limitations of tuning fork timing and moved on.

The modern Accutron below uses a rhodium plated and nicely striped and perlaged 2892-a2 movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.