WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
421 Posts
What makes a good "brand" is a tricky subject around here, but from a practical/pragmatic standpoint I love Bulova. They have a lot of very nice designs and they tend to be reasonably-priced and good quality. A lot of their current automatics use the excellent Miyota 9015 and their quartz Accutron II/Precisionist movements are innovative and unique.

· Registered
48 Posts
Zombie thread lol

But yea, I agree. I recently went looking to add a "grab and go" quartz to my collection and was enlightened about Bulova's 262 khz movement by WUS.

The moon watch was my first Bulova and I was so impressed that now I'm adding a 96B229 PLUS two vintage pieces (666 diver and wrist alarm) to the collection.

· Registered
4 Posts
Zombie thread lol

But yea, I agree. I recently went looking to add a "grab and go" quartz to my collection and was enlightened about Bulova's 262 khz movement by WUS.

The moon watch was my first Bulova and I was so impressed that now I'm adding a 96B229 PLUS two vintage pieces (666 diver and wrist alarm) to the collection.
The Moon Watch really is a great watch - really nicely finished, interesting history, the 262 khz quartz movement is really interesting, and the chrono seconds hands even moves like a mechanical. Ultimately I returned mine because it's just too big for my wrist, but if they ever offer a smaller version I'll be all over it.

I really enjoy the vintage Bulovas, as well. The vintage Accutron line is a lot of fun (perfectly smooth seconds hand, plus that awesome tuning fork hum).

· Registered
120 Posts
To answer your question, bulova as a brand in present day is nothing special except that's it's been around for a while and people are aware of it. I would guess that that is why citizen bought them. It has a better lineage than Invicta no doubt.

I have quite a few bulovas. I couldn't resist the Swiss made accutrons, particularly from the Gemini line. My only minute repeater is a bulova as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,916 Posts
I have several Bulova and Accutron watches. None are “vintage” and all are quartz. With that out of the way I can say that fit & finish are very nice and I haven’t had any issues whatsoever with accuracy or reliability (just what you’d expect from quartz). They are good players in the low/middle price range that they operate in and I wouldn’t hesitate to get another. I do have to say that the Accutron’s are a fair bit nicer and tend to get more wrist time for my models.

· Banned
Alpina Seastrong Heritage
219 Posts
I own one with a limited edition Oceanographer on the way. I really enjoy the one I own now. It's solid, looks good on the wrist, and is crazy accurate.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

· Banned
Alpina Seastrong Heritage
219 Posts
Zombie thread lol

You found a LE? Me too!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
417 Posts
I have a Bulova Sea King with a 262 kHz quartz movement. I am very happy with the watch. It is very accurate (currently running at +0.046 sec./day), attractive, has very good lume, and is generally very well made. My only complaint is that at 48 mm and 8 oz., it is big and heavy. Despite its size, it’s lugs are well designed to make the watch work on a smaller wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
13,770 Posts

· Registered
7,228 Posts
Bulova strikes me as a weird brand. Perhaps they have an idea of who they are and where they want to go, but they don't seem to have a consistent design language or visible engineering philosophy to communicate that. Also, their prices are sometimes a mite ambitious. This A-15 homage is one of my favorite watches, but I don't think I would have remotely considered it at its original $1,500 asking price. (When it popped up in the deals thread for a quarter of that price though, I took a flyer on it, and I'm glad I did.)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I only know Bulova from the old days and from the past few years. Were they as hard to define prior to being bought by Citizen?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.