WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to get a Rolex and decided on either a sub or a gmt both current models. Now I think I might get both and a sub no date and a gmt master 2 both with the black bezel and dial. My gf thinks this is dumb of course but she doesn’t understand. I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance lol??? I do have 2 sons 5 and 8 and I think it would be pretty cool to pass down a sport model Rolex to each of them. I also love the Cellini Moonphase and am hoping they relewae an annual calendar at Baselworld this year cause I would snatch that up in a heart beat. I think I’m going to go for the sub and gmt because I’d like to have two sport watches and my next watches will be a Cellini Moonphase hopefully with annual calendar and a Patek 5056p and I think that would make a great collection. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
First two Rolexes I bought were a GMT and a Sub. The third was a Daytona. Hard to like Rolex sport watches and not end up with all three in my opinion. The fourth, a Sea Dweller would probably be considered by most as optional.... The fifth, a more modern Sub because the first Sub became too valuable to subject to regular wear is what I think most people want to shoot for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Batman and Hulk. Awesome pair. Very different dial (unless ur color blind) and bezel functionality (timer vs time zones), and bracelet (PCL v brushed), and clasp (glidelock vs oysterlock. You are dumb if you think getting both is dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
In a similar situation I would get a black Submariner and BLNR GMT Master, that would give some variety.

Pepsi GMT would be even better, but then you’d have to go vintage or white gold.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
<---Holding his breath for the Coke GMT master II in steel for Basel 2018, I am holding purchasing of Daytona 116520 for it...

The BLNR is nice but something about the pepsi/coke GMT with the red GMT hand :)

The Daytona money is burning a hole in my pocket, with Rolex's wild product strategy lately(AK, Cyclops on SD, etc), I don't know what to expect.

As for the Sub and GMT master being similar: They are absolutely are, but that could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your collection style, personal taste.(Focused vs diversified collection)

it's a moot point because for a non-WIS they all look the same, as long as you are happy with it then more power to you.

Reactions: Fantasio

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a BLNR but sometimes wish I had a no date Sub for some days. Wear the sub when you feel less blingy for the day.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
If you could find both in stock and can afford both a Rolex Submariner and a Rolex BLNR, why not?!

Two fantastic timepieces and you won't lose much money at all (if even any), if you decide to flip.

·
Registered
574 Posts
No, No, No!! You must first buy the Rolex that brought you to the table. Submariner maybe? That was my first Rolex moment 40 years ago. After your first purchase, wait! Sounds like you don't have a Rolex yet. Take some time dude. It took me 20 years to figure it out. And I still haven't figured it out. Rolex stuff is crazy, baffling, exciting, and expensive (for me anyway). Get your first grail Rolex and then spend some time on the Rolex forum delving through everything. Who knows, you may end up with a Grand Seiko, IWC, ect. The great world of watches are waiting!

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Too similar for me!!

They look virtually identical to a layman so my advice would be get some colour on the GMT, like a bruiser if you can find one (At a premium used) or wait for the inevitable Pepsi or coke bezel Steel GMT 2 at Baselworld next month.

Mind You the waiting list for those would be the same as for Steel Daytona, and as Rolex are playing the supply game........

Here are my 2, albeit the old small drilled lug style from the 90's.

image.jpg

Reactions: LordBrettSinclair

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I fell in love with the sub and the gmt at the same time,my dad has collected watches since I was a youngster and that’s how I fell in love with watches. He has a couple Rolex a Panerai Daylight and a couple Pateks. So I’ve always appreciated watches. I’m probably going to go with a no date sub and a gmt master 2 both with black bezels and dials. Just because these will be my first watches and something I can pass on to my kiddos. The Batman gmt is next on my list though. Love that watch! Just talked to my dad and he said he picked up a Rolex with a meteorite dial? He said they are pretty rare going to take a look at it later:)

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Your proposed plan sounds like a great plan to me. I am particularly partial to the no date Submariner 114060 since all you have to do when you pick it on the fly is wind it a few turns without having to set a day function. You can buy an Orbital watchwinder for the GMT. To avoid excessive duplication of two black bezels, I would go with the GMT-Master II "Batman" 116710 BLNR.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have a Rolex submariner 6538 that was my grandfathers and is something that I don’t wear though. Was given to my dad and my dad gave it to me when I turned 18. To me the watch is priceless and this was the watch that made me fall in love with watches. My grandfather always had a nice watch on that’s one thing I’ll always remember is him wearing his Rolex sub and Daytona or one of his Pateks. So I think the sub no date will forsure be the first watch I purchase. But I’m on a waiting list for the sub no fate and the gmt and it sounds like they will both be in soon from what my rep told me so I’ll probably get both just because I love both of the watches so much! My grandfather also had a gmt Pepsi and I LOVED that watch!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I chose the GMT LN precisely because I feel it has a similar look to a Submariner, thus I have a Sub-look with the GMT functionality I wanted.

But if you are deliberately going to buy both, I agree that a Hulk/Batman combo would be a good idea, or at the very least a BLNR and black Sub. Frankly though, if you don't travel a lot, I'm not sure what the purpose of the GMT would be. Unless you need to track more than one time zone, why go there?

I'd also suggest trying both on and seeing which speaks to you, and take your time to enjoy one before buying the next.

Good job using your kids to rationalize your watch obsession ;-)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m not a big fan of the hulk although I’ve never seen it in person. I’ve seen a blnr in person and I love it! I’m a pilot so the gmt function is beyond priceless, I love knowing what time it is at home and when my kids go to bed and wake up. Personally I love the gmt master 2 with the green hand and lettering and black dial and bezel, love that look. And I love the sub no date so these two will be my first two Rolex’s that I buy. Then maybe a blnr and forsure a Daytona with the white dial. Then on to the Cellini Moonphase and Pateks ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It sounds like a good plan to me. They are very similar in look but also different. I like the idea of passing them down to your sons.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts