WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Timex Expedition, Casio Duro, G-shock GWM5610 and GA700DMC-1A, Orient Bambino, Citizen Nighthawk
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post and relatively new to the watch game. I always wondered this, but I can't get away from reading/watching how "Submariner-like" pretty much every modern diver is. It has me thinking that pretty much every diver that comes out is basically just a budget Rolex. Is this true? Oversimplification? If so, what differentiates those outliers from this criticism? I know there's a lot of divers that do their own thing, like power reserve indicators and things like that, but I still always hear them compared to Rolexes and it kind of makes me like them even less lol. Nothing wrong with homages, depending on who you ask, but it's just a thought I can't quite escape with divers.

·
Registered
Timex Expedition, Casio Duro, G-shock GWM5610 and GA700DMC-1A, Orient Bambino, Citizen Nighthawk
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out Planet Ocean or Doxa. You will be pleasantly suprised.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I thoroughly believe all Omegas are beautiful LOL thanks for that! I love that Planet Ocean.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the reason the Rolex Sub is so popular is because it is simple. Bezel, 3 hands, minimal case. So, there's not much more to add or take away. So, I wouldn't call them a homage because it isn't design elements that they're copying as much as basic functionality.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the reason the Rolex Sub is so popular is because it is simple. Bezel, 3 hands, minimal case. So, there's not much more to add or take away. So, I wouldn't call them a homage because it isn't design elements that they're copying as much as basic functionality.
That's fair. I mean, it IS a watch, there's only so much you can do to it right? I guess I'm more or less over the comparisons that can't see a watch for what it is without saying it it's a Rolex of some sort lol

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
No. There are many other brands that have unique cases, dials, movements or features that are not homage to Rolex Sub. Omega, Longines, Breitling, Tag Heuer , IWC And JLC are a few that come to mind

What you are reading is probably comparing a dive watch to the Sub, which, depending on who you ask, is the benchmark and most iconic dive watch ever created

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
And, Rolex borrowed elements from Blancpain so their Submariner isn't wholly original either.

Now, there are a lot of outright homages and that's likely what you're seeing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. There are many other brands that have unique cases, dials, movements or features that are not homage to Rolex Sub. Omega, Longines, Breitling, Tag Heuer , IWC And JLC are a few that come to mind

What you are reading is probably comparing a dive watch to the Sub, which, depending on who you ask, is the benchmark and most iconic dive watch ever created
Ah yes. That is true and I can see that. It's usually that or an SKX007. I guess I'm just tired about hearing about them LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seiko's Tuna is just as iconic, especially the titanium versions which were the first Tunas, however today are in stainless steel as well with the 300m being widely copied by homage designs.
Ah true. I actually said if I was to own a Seiko, it would be a Tuna/Baby Tuna. I REALLY like the case design.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Every pickup truck is based on Ford, same with bicycles, hot air balloons, shoes, umbrellas etc.
c
That's fair. LOL. I guess everything is influenced by something right? I guess what I am mostly referring to is those outlets discussing the watch as it comes, not as a comparison to something else. Although I do understand the need for comparisons in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And, Rolex borrowed elements from Blancpain so their Submariner isn't wholly original either.

Now, there are a lot of outright homages and that's likely what you're seeing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yeah most likely. To be fair, I am not entirely familiar with a lot of different companies lineages aside from their importance at a general glance.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
That is a nice piece! That bezel looks THICC
It is a sweet $100 watch. I don't care for the thin bezels on the modern Bathyscaphe. The Barakuda is good looking but about 12K more than my budget or sensibilities would let me spend on a wristwatch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a sweet $100 watch. I don't care for the thin bezels on the modern Bathyscaphe. The Barakuda is good looking but about 12K more than my budget or sensibilities would let me spend on a wristwatch.

View attachment 15725494
I actually like this a lot lol. Thanks for showing me!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are many different designs. Any notable watch company have their own take on a diver. The micro brands though ... they just outright copy Rolex

1 - 20 of 91 Posts