WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a Frederique Constant to add to my collection. But have reservations about whether it is considered a true luxury brand watch. I know that several watch buyers do NOT take them as trade ins, but they are also featured prominently in many watch retailer stores Ive browsed.

So I would love to hear some opinions.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Affordable luxury is one of their slogans. Luxury is all relative and it's title is wholly unimportant. Do you like the watch? is it comfortable?

What strangers consider about what they don't know anything about...

My FC is a great watch for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I do really like the Frederique Constant line up. Will keep you posted on if I take the dive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I stick to the point that a true luxury brand should have a limited production and command a high price on all its watches. Not the case with Frederique Constant and its competitors. They have to cut costs somewhere to keep the price affordable. If you apply extensive hand-finishing techniques, develop complex integrated movements like perpetual calendar or repeater watches and apply for Geneva Seal you come to Ateliers de Monaco. FC is a way to taste luxury for a much less money. Their perpetual calendar doesn't stand up against IWC, Patek Philippe or Ateliers de Monaco, but its a quality Swiss watch with a beatifully decorated Swiss manufacture movement, quality dial, hands and cases.
If you like one of their watches, go with it!

Надіслано від мого SM-G935F, використовуючи Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Definitely given me a lot to think about. I love the Frederique Constant lineup. But I also need to think about the long term value and prominence of my collection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a FC306 in gold plating, beautiful watch. I should be babel to sell it for what I paid for it (private seller) but it should be with me till I get a breguet or a JLC :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Frederique Constant is not a fly-by-night operation. Sure they've been in the game a lot less time than many other luxury brands, but that shouldn't dissuade you from buying their watches.

If you're asking what people think of the brand, that means that one has caught your eye. If that's the case then buy what you like regardless of cost or what other people think. Personally, I think they are fine watches.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you want a luxury Frederique Constant, may I suggest a D'Atelier De Monaco. Poincon de Geneve and all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Price vs quality is pretty solid with FC, well-known for huge discounts at grey dealers. Have some above avg. upper-level models with in-house movements. Yes it's luxury, but it's for starters IMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Available for purchase at Tiger Air duty free magazine... Along with aigner, aviator watches.
So it is luxury brand for the budget minded crowd?
Anyway, buy the watch that you like screw what other people think

·
Registered
30 Posts
Available for purchase at Tiger Air duty free magazine... Along with aigner, aviator watches.
So it is luxury brand for the budget minded crowd?
Anyway, buy the watch that you like screw what other people think
It is at a lower end of luxury segment along with Longines and Tag Heuer, although without such brand-awareness and likely to hold their value slightly worse than competitors. But quality-wise (not only movement, but also other components - case, dial and hands) it is there, in the accessible luxury range. Of particular interest is their manufacture line.

Надіслано від мого SM-G935F, використовуючи Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
They are certainly working on it. Tourbillon perpetual calendar manufacture.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
FC was started by a dutch couple back in the late 80s... 1980s that is. So there is no "heritage", if that is important to you.

They now belong to Citizen (since 2017).

I have seen some of their higher-end watches in local watch shops, they're nice.

Would I consider purchasing one? No, but only because their style does not match mine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts