WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering because I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Pioneer and I think it may be handwind only.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Handwinding is a ritual, takes effort and time, depends if you like that kind of thing or not. Setting the time is a bit more of a pain than the winding, IMO.

Another thing to note is winding a watch aslo put stress on the watch, this means more potential service required as compared to say an automatic.

Maybe the more learned will jump in on this one.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Agree that setting time is a bigger pain, especially with screw down crowns and stories of reliability and quality issues with screw down crowns failing and what not, I'd be quite happy with a hand wind mech. I think hand winds are well...designed to be hand wound, I dont think service requirement is more or less than any other mechanical watch unless you wind it violently or put pressure past the stopping point.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
In general handwinding shouldn't be too much of a pain. Most of my watches are handwind, and I really enjoy winding them up every night - it gives me a chance to interact with them. The only pain is my vintage Timex, which has a tiny crown, so it's hard to wind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I don't really understand how hanwinding works. Why do you have to set the time if you wind it every night.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I guess I don't really understand how hanwinding works. Why do you have to set the time if you wind it every night.
No, as long as it keeps running, it will keep pretty good time. Eventually all mechanicals should be re synchronized with the official time, but that's not a product of being hand wound.

Handwinding isn't a problem at all. I think the reason automatics really rose to power is that people (non watch collectors) frequently forget to wind their watches, not that it was difficult to actually do the winding. If I ever buy a handwound, I'll definitely get one with a power reserve so that I can't forget.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Eventually all mechanicals should be re synchronized with the official time, but that's not a product of being hand wound.
that is actually a reason why I like to use my phone to keep track of "work time".
the clocks in the office are about 4 minutes faster than my watch set to UK GMT.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I'm wondering because I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Pioneer and I think it may be handwind only.
No, who has claimed it is??

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I don't think so but I grew up with handwinds. Self-winding was a costly luxury back then. Handwind watches generally have a more robust winding mechanism than an auto because it has to be that way. They don't wear out any faster if you take care when winding. I have pocket watches that are over 100 years old that still have the original winding stem and gears.
I still prefer handwind mechanicals to automatics. Certainly I'd rather look at the movement through a display back than view the rotor.

Reactions: mebiuspower

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have several timepieces with the swiss ETA 6497 or a variation of the movement and enjoy winding them ...:0)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted that part of the question in the Hamilton forum. In a nut shell, some of the websites I looked at stated that it was a mechanical handwinding movement and the face says automatic.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Another thing to note is winding a watch aslo put stress on the watch, this means more potential service required as compared to say an automatic.
I'm sorry but there is no sense in this argument. The winding mechanisms are made to last because watches need to be wound so that they would run. The rotor of an automatic movement winds the main spring all the time, so why would that put any less stress on the movement than hand winding a hand wound movement ? It is true, though, that regularly hand winding some automatic movements will eventually cause some wear to specific gears. That's because automatics are generally not meant to be wound by hand.

I posted that part of the question in the Hamilton forum. In a nut shell, some of the websites I looked at stated that it was a mechanical handwinding movement and the face says automatic.
Well, if the watch face says it's automatic, it's automatic. Respectable manufacturers hardly print inacorrect information on their dials. You should always check out the manufacturer's web site, too: that's the place for reliable info if the model you are considering is still in production.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Yep, if the dial says automatic, then it is indeed one, no matter what any website may claim. Especially with a brand like Hamilton, they ain't gonna mess that up.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Humans on average take 21 days to commit an action to habit. After that, you do it really without thinking.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I enjoy winding my few hand-wind only watches. Such wonderful little machines. They need me to put some life in their hearts. It's a co-dependent relationship. Or symbiotic, if you prefer.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Handwinding is one of those fun things you just learn to do and appreciate...kind of like a good shave...you're happy with the results.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,768 Posts
Handwinding isn't all that difficult or time consuming. You just have to remember to do it every morning or the watch may stop early the next morning. Once upon a time one could offer the excuse of forgetting to wind the watch for being late. That is a nice watch so buy it and enjoy a handwinder.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
We're talking about an activity that takes ten seconds per day. Not really a big deal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts