WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought this watch, I was told it is a lecoultre. Can someone verify it? And where can one find a crown for it. Apparently the crown is tapered and has a square 1.3mm hole that fits over the stem. NOTE: I ADDED MORE PHOTOS 3/4/17.
I got the red numbers off. I have the seconds hand but don't see well enough to get it back on the shaft. Ugh!!!
I NEED A CROWN OF THE FOLLOWING DIMENSIONS.:
crown needed to fit
8.5mm wide. It is about the size of 6s Waltham or elgin square stem crown in diameter.
5.5mm ID of crown
4.25mm? crown stem width
1.3mm square crown stem hole
Watch stem: tapered top part, square 10mm long......1.3mm diameter. The watch stem top is about 1mm from top of the pocketwatch tube in the windng position.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Sorry, I know this isn't related to your question, but I wonder if you could wipe off those horrible red numbers with some alcohol and a Q-tip. Or maybe acetone.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Can I ask why you think it's a LeCoultre watch ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told it was when bought it. And the lecoultres marked and unmarked I have seen on ebay look just like mine.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Reactions: Dan S

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I think it's "Armida."
That's it, definitely. Searching around a bit, I found some early 20th century Armida pocket watches that are similar, though not identical. I didn't find anything about a LeCoultre-Armida connection, and a lot of these movements look superficially similar. It would probably help if the OP could find a LeCoultre-marked movement that is identical to this one, not just generally of the same appearance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The dial is OK.
These ugly red 13...24 numerals can be found widely on 1910-20's pocket watch dials.
Many small "horological depots" were put these added numerals on plain enamel dials.
Sealilng vax (shellac) based red paint is rather stable, but can be removed with spirits.

About the movement.. one can find the same movement layout with "LeCoultre & Co" signature, so it is called "LeCoutre base calibre".
I guess LeCoultre was selling template sets for mass-production companies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is armida. I have search for any pocketwatch named armida but cannot find any. But when I search for lecoultre, I find the exact same type of movement as an unmarked lecoultre. There are some numbers on the case. A 3 and a 79. On the movement under the mainspring, there is a 33 and one other number I cannot recall.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
It is armida. I have search for any pocketwatch named armida but cannot find any.
Strange, if I type "armida pocket watch" into Google, I get dozens of hits, including photos, eBay listings and even previous Watchuseek threads. Presumably the watch was sold by Armida, who may have purchased a movement/ebauche from LeCoultre.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
this movement was made by a ebauches of HP Hippolyte Parrenin Villers le Lac France

<<Ernest Jacquat (1869-1939), in Villars sur Fontenais, the eldest brother of Celestin (1884-1952), is the holder of the Fama, Armida, Carmen, Muguet brands with the name of "E. Jacquat & Cie" . Of Jules Metthée. Silver medal at Thun in 1899 and gold at Porrentruy in 1902.Fabrique de montresE. Jacquat & Cie ", Succ. Of Jules MetthéeVillars on FontenaisErnest took over the undertaking of Jules Metthée, his maternal grandfather (Ernest's mother is Rosalie Metthée (1847-1924), wife of Henri Célestin (1836-1896), the company having been Founded in 1864.Fabrique de montresE Jacquat & Cie ", Successor of Jules Metthée de Villars>>
regards enrico

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi mkws. I did find a similar movement on ebay a seller had listed. Under the mainspring cover of his, it was marked lecoultre. Nothing else. It was identical to this armada except mine does not have a mark under the mainspring cover. I did not attempt to look under other parts because I do not want to damage the movement. So I still don't know if it is lecoultre or a lecoultre based caliber. All I know is it is set up just like a lecoultre movements I have seen on ebay. So do I call it a lecoultre like movement???

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just my opinion, but if it can't be positively identified as a LeCoultre it shouldn't be described as one. If it is identical to a LeCoultre ebauche it could be described as a possible LeCoultre ebauche.

Without a positive identification you would be misleading yourself and others. It could have a marking on the top plate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts