WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Never seen a Stowa with a diamond-shaped crown. Stowa's fliegers (at least nowadays) have much more proportional, rounded crowns.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
How did you test or verify that it’s “within COSC”?

If it’s netting an average accuracy between -4/+6 though, neat! :)

I’ve been meaning to get a flieger like that one of these days. I’ve been hitting the Stowa website a lot. :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's when you try to misleadingly make a watch look like another is when you move from homage to fake territory. Stowa does make good straps though.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Bingo- I saved $800
While I'm not in any way disparaging Tisell-- they make great stuff. You didn't save $800. You just put a Porsche body kit on a Volkswagen.

Be happy with the brand you have, and don't try to pass it off as something else.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I really don't think the OP's purpose was to fool us or anyone that it is a stowa; but I believe he wanted to show us how closely the Tisell resembles the Stowa in terms of aesthetic appearance.

I was also considering buying a Tisell but I decided to save up for something like a Laco augsburg / Stowa Verus; I personally have no problem with people who wear Tisell pilots at all but I find that the heritage of these brands is worth the extra money.

It's not that anyone will notice that buckle either IMO (unless they are trying to determine your heart pulse). Then again not something I would do.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's when you try to misleadingly make a watch look like another is when you move from homage to fake territory. Stowa does make good straps though.
So, I understand this argument, but when it comes to something like a flieger this becomes a more complex conversation. Multiple companies made fliegers with sterile faces. It was a military spec thing. Laco, Stowa, A Lange & Sohne, Wempe, and even IWC made the originals. It wasn't a watch manufacturer designed watch, it was a government contract. This reminds me of the thread that Doc had a while back about the Omega 300 homages, which were also military spec watches.

Tisell isn't really ripping of Stowa with this model, so much as they're using an exceedingly popular historical design. This isn't the Tisell sub, which is clearly trying to be a Rolex sub. Depending who you asked, someone might tell you this Tisell was trying to be any number of watches.

The one thing you could say about it being misleading, is actually attributed to the WUS user, who put it on a Stowa strap and mentioned Stowa specifically in the thread title.

No one is ever going to change the opinion of someone on WUS about homages/fakes/knockoffs or whatever you want to call them. Both sides of that argument are pretty set in their views and aren't going to be swayed. I'm simply stating that when using a design like this, the conversation gets a lot muddier.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
So, I understand this argument, but when it comes to something like a flieger this becomes a more complex conversation. Multiple companies made fliegers with sterile faces. It was a military spec thing. Laco, Stowa, A Lange & Sohne, Wempe, and even IWC made the originals. It wasn't a watch manufacturer designed watch, it was a government contract.
^^ This.

Here's a picture of some original pieces. Can't say from which of the five manufacturers.

kloeter99_bilder.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought the Stowa strap because it is quality for a really affordable price. Just like I bought the Tisell for this reason. If it happens to fool people, all the better. ;-) Also I totally agree with ffritz, I thought it wasn't really ripping off any brands as the flieger is a generic style watch. I don't normally buy homages (though I don't particularly see anything wrong with it, just not my thing). The title of the post was just for fun! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
The thing I always found fascinating was that one of the companies who made the originals, IWC, wasn't even German but Swiss. So the traditional "German" pilots watch, wasn't even exclusively made by German manufacturers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
'If it happens to fool people, all the better. ;-)"

I have a question as to how a person would think you are wearing a Stowa without them being told that it was a Stowa ? I mean, as stated above only the buckle reads Stowa and that is on the bottom side of your wrist. Or are the people you refer to the ones who just run up to you and exclaim , " Wow ! You're wearing a Stowa "
Just curious

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'If it happens to fool people, all the better. ;-)"

I have a question as to how a person would think you are wearing a Stowa without them being told that it was a Stowa ? I mean, as stated above only the buckle reads Stowa and that is on the bottom side of your wrist. Or are the people you refer to the ones who just run up to you and exclaim , " Wow ! You're wearing a Stowa "
Just curious
To be honest, It is VERY rare that anyone even comments on a watch I'm wearing. Most people don't care or know anything about watches. It will be a great day when someone makes an informed comment on my watch.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I actually have a Stowa.
You're not saving $800.
You're wearing a $200 watch while wishing you had a Stowa.
Totally agreed. @OP - you know your watch isn't a Stowa yet you dress it up like one. Lol you're just playing yourself, most people other than the rare WISer cares or comments on watches in the wild anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts