WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

An interesting question when you take the whole picture into consideration...

This "art" appears a few weeks ago on my daily route to work (about a mile from our house), I thought it would be cleared up in a few days and every day I drive past it (twice) I keep meaning to take a picture, so I finally did this morning.

Despite the nature of what it's actually implying (enticing kids to play into the road) I like it, glad I stopped to take the pics (on my little Canon Ixus 100is). No idea who did it, not seen/heard anything in the local press...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Neat, but not art. (let the discussion begin!)

Josh

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have had a few classes that have been philosophy based in which we have had discussions on "art". For me anyways the question here is the art, the street painting alone may not be. This is a thought provoking piece and to me it makes it artistic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The question in itself "is it art?" is useless. Since the dawn of times Art exists, the question was NEVER 'what is art?'.
The real and relevent question is: "what does the artist want to tell us?!"

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
So, then, "art" cannot be defined? I generally think of art as a highly refined expressive craft(thus cars, for instance, aren't considered art, but craft).
In this instance, an "Hopscotch" grid painted on a road, Not art. Simple child's craft out of place. It fails the first measure, lacking refinement of craft. Anyone could do it. The photograph of it has more to offer than the subject itself as far as "art" goes. Not even good grafitti, really.
Let's please continue!

Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts