WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fake Navitimer (bought knowingly about 12 years ago), and I rarely wear it because I know it's a fake. I've never passed it off as a real one to others...

What's the consensus of my fellow "watch people" about this?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think it's pretty tacky to wear a fake but, I've been lucky enough in life to where I can afford the real thing (not saying you can't of course) so, to each his own I suppose.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I have a fake Navitimer (bought knowingly about 12 years ago), and I rarely wear it because I know it's a fake. I've never passed it off as a real one to others...

What's the consensus of my fellow "watch people" about this?
if you want it straight, you'd be tacitly endorsing an illegal trade. draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I think it's pretty tacky to wear a fake but, I've been lucky enough in life to where I can afford the real thing (not saying you can't of course) so, to each his own I suppose.

The fake only acts to cheapen the real thing

·
Registered
450 Posts
i own and wear a breitling for myself. not so others can go "oooh, a breitling" because "others" don't know. unless it's a rolex, people just don't know.

so, the fact that it's a true breitling is really...just for me.

so if you're ok wearing a fake. go ahead. i personally hate all they stand for.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
for the purpose of reference, here's what the forum rules say:

6 No discussions or pictures of replica watches, or links to replica watch sites unless previously approved by a moderator or the site owner. In general, any posts that involves the discussion, encouragement, or solicitation of any kind of crime or criminal activity are prohibited.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Chad,

I have worn Breitlings for a long time and that said, I could care less what someone else wears on their wrist. What would really be cool; however, is if you went out and bought the real thing. I could even supply you with the name of an AD who would give you a great discount. Now if you tell us your budget is we can suggest a model.:-!

Sounds like I am trying to bring you into the fold;-) When you see and feel it on your wrist you will understand why.

Phil

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never understood why anyone would want to wear a fake watch / handbag / $OTHER_EXPENSIVE_STUFF in the first place.

Are some people really that desperate to make other folks believe they are someone or something, who they are not?

The obvious exception would be fakes that are so bad, that even a semi-blind imbecile can spot them from 2 miles away. At night. Through a closed door.

I honestly don't get it.:think:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone...like I said, I rarely wear it, and the last time it was on my wrist was probably 5 or 6 years ago, before I became afflicted with the watch sickness...I saw it the other day while cleaning off the shelves that the stereo sits on, and I picked it up and thought of this question. It's a bad fake anyway...

Chad,

I have worn Breitlings for a long time and that said, I could care less what someone else wears on their wrist. What would really be cool; however, is if you went out and bought the real thing. I could even supply you with the name of an AD who would give you a great discount. Now if you tell us your budget is we can suggest a model.:-!

Sounds like I am trying to bring you into the fold;-) When you see and feel it on your wrist you will understand why.

Phil
Hi Phil,

I've been thinking of getting one for the last couple of years, and a good friend of mine just bought a limited edition (#73 of 75) EAA Aerospace. He let me hold it, and try it on, and I do understand why...the Aerospace is my favorite, and I almost bought one at the Reno Air Races this fall. As far as a budget goes...well, all depends on how good a month I have.;-) What kind of great discount?b-)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone...like I said, I rarely wear it, and the last time it was on my wrist was probably 5 or 6 years ago, before I became afflicted with the watch sickness...I saw it the other day while cleaning off the shelves that the stereo sits on, and I picked it up and thought of this question. It's a bad fake anyway...

Hi Phil,

I've been thinking of getting one for the last couple of years, and a good friend of mine just bought a limited edition (#73 of 75) EAA Aerospace. He let me hold it, and try it on, and I do understand why...the Aerospace is my favorite, and I almost bought one at the Reno Air Races this fall. As far as a budget goes...well, all depends on how good a month I have.;-) What kind of great discount?b-)

PM sentb-)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello Dear Fellow watch enthusiast,
I have never posted on this forum before. Before I try to go anywhere, please know it is all peace and love from my side.
I'll start by saying I do own a Rolex SeaDweller but also own a really good replica....
Since growing up in the 60's, I dreamed of owning a Rolex diver. But I am not made of money. There is a double sword for rubbing people in owning your so exclusive product. The cost goes way up, way too far.
Before I would fork out the money, I just wanted to be sure I would enjoy wearing that watch. I honestly don't give a dam about what someone else think of me from which watch is on my wrist. I really don't and think you guys are often out of line with the poser's idea. As a matter of fact, I think the one who complains about the replica's owner as being a poser is himself a POSER !!!
Before anything, I care about timekeeping. I bought a good replica, a well made watch. I wore it for a while, liked the experience and then bought a genuine Rolex.
You guys look too far into the thing. All Rolex would have to do is make a Tudor in the $ 1,000.00 range. I would have bought one and then their SeaDweller.
I own a lot of good watches. I am not a poser since as said before I don't care a bit about what someone else think. I often wear my SeaDweller smack in the middle of nowhere : just me, the outdoor and my watch.
For you to feel threatened by a fake wearer is making me tired.
Buy the watch you want, live your life and die happy.
I am getting real tired of the fellow who owns only one watch, be it one Rolex or other name brand, and then feels like he's part of THE EXCLUSIVE CLUB.
People, watches are great. Let's the thrill flow.....

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
13,412 Posts
I have never posted on this forum before. Before I try to go anywhere, please know it is all peace and love from my side.
I'll start by saying I do own a Rolex SeaDweller but also own a really good replica....
Since growing up in the 60's, I dreamed of owning a Rolex diver. But I am not made of money. There is a double sword for rubbing people in owning your so exclusive product. The cost goes way up, way too far.
Before I would fork out the money, I just wanted to be sure I would enjoy wearing that watch. I honestly don't give a dam about what someone else think of me from which watch is on my wrist. I really don't and think you guys are often out of line with the poser's idea. As a matter of fact, I think the one who complains about the replica's owner as being a poser is himself a POSER !!!
Before anything, I care about timekeeping. I bought a good replica, a well made watch. I wore it for a while, liked the experience and then bought a genuine Rolex.
You guys look too far into the thing. All Rolex would have to do is make a Tudor in the $ 1,000.00 range. I would have bought one and then their SeaDweller.
I own a lot of good watches. I am not a poser since as said before I don't care a bit about what someone else think. I often wear my SeaDweller smack in the middle of nowhere : just me, the outdoor and my watch.
I am getting real tired of the fellow who owns only one watch, be it one Rolex or other name brand, and then feels like he's part of THE EXCLUSIVE CLUB.
:roll: Spare me. :rodekaart

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
did anyone say anything about posing??? i'll have to dig out my casio again!!! :-d

but seriously, i think you miss the point of the objection this forum has to fake watches. they take someone's legally held trademark and abuse it. it's illegal. this isn't anything to do with what anyone thinks of the owner. it's a hard commercial fact.

my position is that it's the drug pushers not the drug addicts that should be locked up. ditto fake manufacturers viz fake owners. but i don't have any more desire to be a fake owner than i do to be a drug addict. sorry about that!!! ;-)

·
Registered
205 Posts

Peace and Love Man !

Is this not an EXCLUSIVE club then ? You get a Hat and everything :think:

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth)
Before i was lucky enough to own my 1st B, i had a Fake Cossie.
I bought it for 2 simple reasons. I couldn't afford a real one but mainly because i loved the Look and design of a 24hr watch.I now know it was wrong to perpetuate the wearing of fakes :oops:

As for being a poser ???? HELLO have you seen the size of this thing :-d
No seriously, my friends know i own a B (i bored them when buying it) but i don't stick it under their nose all the time saying look at this.They thought i was mad spending what i did. But in the end, i love watches and my B pleases ME. No one else.
And believe me, it feels a whole lot better on your wrist than a fake, so if you CAN afford one, Go For It |>.

Danny.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Most folks here can see "replica's", "homages", "knockoff's" ..etc, for what they are, attempts to trade on a legitimate companies brand, reputation, license and goodwill at no cost.

I suppose we can go round and round about 'fakes" and probably "justify" them in some way. One can usually rationalize just about anything.
In the end, however, it is a form of stealing and therefore wrong.

Whether one wishes to support or condone such activity is up to the individual. I do not support or condone it and I believe most here agree with me.

Best to you all,

OB

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.