WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the clasp referred to as both 'Deployment' or 'Deployant'. Which is it?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
It's "deployant", however if you want to buy one, better look for a "deployment"...

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sounds like another case where a wrong word has been used for so long that it became right. My favourite example: the polymer material most often used for fabrics is "polyestar", not "polyester". Not even spellcheckers got it right.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Sounds like another case where a wrong word has been used for so long that it became right. My favourite example: the polymer material most often used for fabrics is "polyestar", not "polyester". Not even spellcheckers got it right.
Polyester is a “long-chain polymers chemically composed of at least 85% by weight of an ester and a dihydric alcohol and a terephthalic acid”. In other words, it means the linking of several esters within the fibers.

Polymer + esters, or poly (as in multiple) esters = polyester

The actual chemical used in making polyester fibers is polyethylene terephthalate.

Polyestar is a trade name for a certain type of polyethylene terephthalate textile, like Dacron, Diolen, Tergal, Terylene, and Trevira. Other trade names for polyethylene terephthalate not in fiber form are Cleartuf, Eastman PET and Polyclear bottle resins, Hostaphan, Melinex, and Mylar films, and Arnite, Ertalyte, Impet, Rynite and Valox molding resins.

John Whinfield and J. T. Dickson discovered it in 1941, that year it was first polyester fibers were produced by Imperial Chemical Industries or ICI, under the trade name of "Terylene".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts