WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is it Fake or Real? Can anyone tell? My first Bulova Marine Star (98B013) can be fake.

17K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CitizenM 
#1 ·
I know this Bulova Marine Star 98B013 is a simple one, but I would like to know if someone can tell whether it is a fake or a real one.
I've bought it on ebay for $130 from a guy who has a pawn store. Does anyone know if it is a counterfeit? I've never seen plastic parts inside a Bulova before, so that's why I'm wondering if I should return and get my money back.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Font
Product Metal Circle Rim
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Binoculars Gadget Technology Electronics Electronic device
Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Metal
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Currently, I believe it's legit.The movement appears to be a Seiko quartz (due to the SII logo). I know that Bulova used to use entry level Seiko movements, so this seems plausible. Besides, I don't think a knockoff would bother with a quality quartz movement.The quality of the watch seems there. Looks like everything is aligned properly and well made.So, at the moment, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about.

#3 ·
Quartz watches, in general, are not faked. They generally do not sell for the inflated prices that mechanical watches will command. I do not know of any Bulova watches that are counterfeited. That is not to say that you will not find a really substandard piece of junk upon which someone put the Bulova name. But you'd generally realize that the item is a piece of junk (poor fit & finish, poor choice of materials).

The Marine Star is a nice product. You should be very happy with the watch. Though I am kind of surprised you tore into the watch and opened it right up! Do you have watch tools, or did you use a screwdriver? :D

Reactions: CitizenM
#13 ·
Well, to be specific, SII is a place and a wholly owned subsidiary of Seiko. They make a ton of stuff there, not even just watch movements.

Building Architecture Facade Company Commercial building

They also make some mechanical movements there.

Watch Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Clock

Seiko is a bit confusing since they're decentralized quite a bit. There are several separate "studios" and sometimes studios within other studios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.