WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on one hand the answer is probably 'of course it is!'

But my question is whether, in the long run, satisfaction comes from waiting for such a thing.

I got a tag heuer 2000 as a wedding gift at the age of thirty, and with forty (and tenth wedding anniversary) round the corner, have just splashed out the £2000 budget I allowed myself to mark this occasion, for which (with some bargaining) I managed to get a speedmaster date and oris tt1 diver for around about £2100 with some bargaining; thus meeting my aspirations toward both a diver and a chrono.

Anyway, one thing I have in mind is these being things I pass on to the lad one day. Hopefully he'll be no spring chicken when that time comes. But equally hopefully, I hope to be in a position to to buy him an Omega or even a Rolex or Breitling when (if) he graduates.

But this line of thought got me to wondering - while I'd have loved to have received such a gift at a young age, the other side of the coin is that for me, it's really special to be able to own such a watch as an omega to mark such a milestone as the big 4-0.

And that got me to thinking, if I'd had it young - what would there be to aim for in terms of marking life's big moments? My remaining target is something like a Vacheron Constantine. With a bit of luck an entry level model might be attainable for me, around about the time I retire. So, again, that's a nice way (in my eyes at least) of marking out life's big changes with real step changes in something to mark it like a watch.

Anyway, this is a bit of a ramble, but I am interested in others views. Do you see the acquisition of a quality watch as being something that is best savoured after years of 'earning it' through getting the family finances secured first and so on, or would you prefer to get em as soon and as fast as possible!

Finally; the last thing I want is for this to be interpreted as moralising on the subject. Hopefully noone would have but just to dispel the possibility, this is not a value judgement, it's about how you see it.

·
Registered
40,228 Posts
Re: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the ye

|> Yep, I bought my Lucien Piccard when I was 20.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Re: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the ye

To my mind, more than early or late in life, lies the concept of 'earning' something. I always find that things are better when they celebrate something you've achieved. It might be a big birthday, or a retirement. It might also be the achievement of a particular educational goal, or entering into a particularly amazing career.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

My grandfather got his Hamilton 992B at the age of 75. That was when he could finally afford it. You might say he savored it.
The 5th generation is now in line to get that Hamilton.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My grandfather got his Hamilton 992B at the age of 75. That was when he could finally afford it. You might say he savored it.
The 5th generation is now in line to get that Hamilton.
without wanting to glamourise having less money, that's a really great story Ray.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

Buy something amazing now. When you're old, it'll be an amazing vintage.

I bought this Seamaster new when I was 26. Now we're both antiques.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

Here's my grandfather (and me) ca 1955. He's got the Hamilton on his watch chain.

And here's the 5th generation guy (he has a little waiting time....)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Great seamaster NN.

If I can be bold enough to ask the question, without being to precise about age ;-) - how did prices for an Omega (for example) compare back then to now, in relative terms.

Was it the same 'size of purchase' relative to the price of other things back then, or has the luxury status of watches like this evolved since then. Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm a newbie at all this.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

It's a 105.001-62. The movement (321) dates from 1958. I bought the watch from an Omega dealer in 1969 for $195 Canadian.
Ah, those were the days. :-!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts

Here's my grandfather (and me) ca 1955. He's got the Hamilton on his watch chain.

And here's the 5th generation guy (he has a little waiting time....)

awesome ray|>

welcome racing green. i am for buying it when you can afford it because tomorrow is never promised to anyone:-(......unfortunately!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts

When it comes to watches I say, "Why put off until tomorrow what you can buy (and get in trouble with the wife for) today. Seriously, you could go boots up tomorrow. If you want it, and can swing it, then grab it. :-!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Here is how I see it:

I am younger (18) and just recently (two weeks ago) bought a Breitling Super Avenger for myself (I know, not the fanciest watch but it just does it for me, an intangible I suppose). I saved up for a little while and bought it in the hopes of being a watch that I can wear and enjoy until I am able to buy myself an AP Royal Oak Offshore (someday I will make it happen). I think it is not so much an age related issue as it is a doing it yourself issue. Whilst I love my watch part of the reason is that I was the one who bought it, I think if it was given to me as a gift I would still appreciate the watch for its mechanical beauty but I could not enjoy it as much knowing that it is not truly mine.

Maybe I am slightly biased because I have never been too fond of receiving gifts and would rather do and accomplish things by myself. I do not think age has as much to do with buying your watch (for a milestone) as it is going and buying your watch at any age because you are completely enthralled with that particular piece. I love watches, I admire their craftsmanship, the fact that many of the higher end pieces are hand made (as much as they can be with them being machined and what have you), the fact that someone sat and thought up a movement for the watch (like Franck Muller) and made a watch not to be mass produced for maximum profit, but disregard what it costs to build and make the watch as excellent as it can be (this is why I have a weak spot for AP's).

With that said I think that we should buy watches not to celebrate momentous occasions or as a symbol of success (which some watches undeniably are, and that is okay), but because we foster an attraction to timepieces that cannot quite be put into words readily (read WIS).

I do not know if I really have answered your question, probably not, but I do feel that whilst receiving a nice watch as a gift is a great gesture from a loved one it just is not quite the same as being able to earn that watch (or anything for that matter) for oneself. Also I think that a watch should be a celebration within itself and should not be reserved for an achievement,

·
Registered
159 Posts

I say "you can have both."

There are some very affordable quality watches out there. Ball, Oris, and my best bang for the buck favorite Hamiltons. Purchasing one of these watches will not put a dent in saving for your grail.

As you live your life and achieve your goals, both personal and financial, through sacrifice and healthy decisions, you can reward yourself with that grail.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,111 Posts

Re: Is it good to get a quality watch when young, or best savoured after putting in the years.

Yes. It is both.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I would like to have gotten a nice watch when I was younger, but back then I was in the service with a wife and kids to take care of. The thought of getting a nice watch never even crossed my mind, I was spending all of my money on food, clothes and baby formula. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts

I definitely think we appreciate things more when we have to work/wait a bit to get them. Beyond that I don't think age has much to do with it, but maybe my opinion on that will change when I'm older.

·
Registered
51 Posts

As long as it is something that you work hard for to get, I don't think age is much of an issue. My wife lets me save up a little allowance for my watch purchases. May take me 2 or 3 years to scrap the cash together for something I really want, but I think you enjoy it that much more when you get it. And since I am a young 31, I hope I have a long time to enjoy them. =)

·
Registered
262 Posts

I have to agree that it is a 'working for it' question more than an 'age' question.

I went to a good private university (on full academic scholarship) where many of my roommates & classmates were from very 'well-off' families, and whom wore expensive watches knowing nothing about them other than that they were expensive. But they would often lose/ break them and not even blink because they didnt appreciate them at all.

On the other hand, now that I am a few years out of university and can afford some nice watches, I feel that I appreciate them so much more than my classmates ever did- or probably ever will- regardless of age.

So regardless if you are young or old, as long as you work to get your watch & have the means to do so, I think you will appreciate it much more... just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

Seriously, you could go boots up tomorrow. If you want it, and can swing it, then grab it. :-!
Great metaphor for the Carpe Diem vote!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here is how I see it:

I am younger (18) and just recently (two weeks ago) bought a Breitling Super Avenger for myself (I know, not the fanciest watch but it just does it for me, an intangible I suppose). I saved up for a little while and bought it in the hopes of being a watch that I can wear and enjoy until I am able to buy myself an AP Royal Oak Offshore (someday I will make it happen). I think it is not so much an age related issue as it is a doing it yourself issue. Whilst I love my watch part of the reason is that I was the one who bought it, I think if it was given to me as a gift I would still appreciate the watch for its mechanical beauty but I could not enjoy it as much knowing that it is not truly mine.

Maybe I am slightly biased because I have never been too fond of receiving gifts and would rather do and accomplish things by myself. I do not think age has as much to do with buying your watch (for a milestone) as it is going and buying your watch at any age because you are completely enthralled with that particular piece. I love watches, I admire their craftsmanship, the fact that many of the higher end pieces are hand made (as much as they can be with them being machined and what have you), the fact that someone sat and thought up a movement for the watch (like Franck Muller) and made a watch not to be mass produced for maximum profit, but disregard what it costs to build and make the watch as excellent as it can be (this is why I have a weak spot for AP's).

With that said I think that we should buy watches not to celebrate momentous occasions or as a symbol of success (which some watches undeniably are, and that is okay), but because we foster an attraction to timepieces that cannot quite be put into words readily (read WIS).

I do not know if I really have answered your question, probably not, but I do feel that whilst receiving a nice watch as a gift is a great gesture from a loved one it just is not quite the same as being able to earn that watch (or anything for that matter) for oneself. Also I think that a watch should be a celebration within itself and should not be reserved for an achievement,
Thanks for your reply, excellent post.

If you've saved up to buy a breitling at 18, then I doff my cap, and take your point which is well made. You and others have I think drawn out for me what I'm really getting at; age is a bit of a secondary point - 'earning' something, is really what's satisfying I think.

On that note I'd just like to clarify where I am coming from a bit. I agree with your point about watches as status symbols; I didn't mean buying them to be that. I meant - and it'll come to you soon enough fella ;-) - that once you're raising a family, paying a mortgage and so on, then for many of us, milestones provide an opportunity where we can let go, and allocate funds on something like a watch, which with our sensible heads on, would normally have to go on more mundane things!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts