WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I just saw something disturbing on my DW-6900E. In the stopwatch mode and timer mode we can see that the first digit is thinner than others. Is it okay? I just don't think that is lack of space on the display.
Peace
Pictures(click to see) Gauge Auto part Speedometer Odometer Measuring instrument
Speedometer Auto part Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's been a Casio trait since as long as I can remember. Shame, but it's correct.

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Just check my other Casio (non-G), it does have that famous smaller digit too.

It's not a spacing problem, they did it on purpose :think:

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I think there's two possible explanations:
- it's a leftover from times when LCD watches didn't have that large amount of functions and no 24hr mode either, so the first digit was never used to display anything else than a "1"
- the digits are moved to the middle of the screen to make it look more harmonic or something
I think solution #1 is probably right.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
I wear my first Casio more than 20 years ago when I was a teenager and I remember it does have 12/24H selection.

Maybe it's some kind of "trademark" to fight against counterfeit watches, as the counterfeits only can imitate the design but they all have the LCD screens made from standard, low-end equipments, they simply can't make a special screen for imitated Casio watches because the same item could be used to make fake digital watches of other brands as well.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I was thinking more about 30+ years ago. The "Casiotron" was released in '74 and didn't have 24 hr format. So I think it started out as a question of necessity (no need for anything else than a "1") and turned into a question of design because the time is more "centered" in the display. Casio even kept that design on watches like the G-7800 which has a completely new LCD-design compared to the normal LCD design.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just checked the three on my bed side table, a GW-5000-1JF, a GW-6900 and a G-9000 and they all have the squished first digit. Entirely normal and good, IMHO.

·
Registered
788 Posts
my dw6900 shows the same faded digits also... it's quite normal
Are we talking about faded digits or narrow digits? Cause I observed both on my DW-6900MS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts