WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the risk of a wipe-out, is it okay to bike to work with my Speedy on (or any mechanical watch)? My ride is about 40 minutes each way, and Toronto streets are pretty unforgiving. Just wondering if anyone has ever damaged a watch from the constant shock of hitting pothole after pothole, or if they're generally designed to withstand this?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Absolutely. I do it all the time. there have been previous discussions on WUS here about the shock etc. and i feel like the conclusion was it was going to take some serious shock (like maybe operating a jackhammer for hours which at that point is more detrimental to your body first) to really mess up most mechanical watches

Reactions: maguirejp

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I wouldn't think the impact from running over a pothole would be an issue given the robustness of the shock absorbing systems that Omega and most other brands use on modern watches.

I would wager that the possibility of an inadvertent spill and the ensuing road rash and damage to the crystal and case is probably a more pressing issue as far as damaging the watch is concerned.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Aside from the risk of a wipe-out, is it okay to bike to work with my Speedy on (or any mechanical watch)? My ride is about 40 minutes each way, and Toronto streets are pretty unforgiving. Just wondering if anyone has ever damaged a watch from the constant shock of hitting pothole after pothole, or if they're generally designed to withstand this?
At first I thought this was going to be another 'what watch should I wear to go down stairs...' but nope, someone actually has no idea whether or not it's okay to wear a watch while biking because of potholes...

Nose Cheek Lip Eyelash Flash photography

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
I would think your body would be absorbing most of the shock when going over a pothole more so than the watch —so, your watch should be fine. On another note, if you do see a pothole, do your part by reporting them on the Toronto's Potholes site:

·
Registered
416 Posts
It... it went to the moon. Yes. It's fine to ride a bike.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sure, I ride to work occasionally and the biggest threat is cars, not potholes. I wear either my Bernhardt or Longines and have never had an issue... Well that's not exactly true, a car clipped my left elbow with their sideview mirror on a ride a few years ago. Of course they stopped to make sure I was ok. Yeah right.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I am waiting for is "it okay for me to wipe my a## with my speedy/sub/insertname on"...

Y'all may laugh but its coming yo.

On a more serious note, it went to the space and NASA certified it for space missions. Turbulance anyone?!
you are absolutely right -- just give it a few more days --- this thread is just waiting in the wings to show up here.....
everyone just seems to be brain-dead!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I am waiting for is "it okay for me to wipe my a## with my speedy/sub/insertname on"...

Y'all may laugh but its coming yo.

On a more serious note, it went to the space and NASA certified it for space missions. Turbulance anyone?!
only if
(1) you found it in grandpa's drawer...
(2) ..... in the attic
(3) And, have told us you hate Omega/Rolex but are very interested in knowing what its value is....:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Is it okay to bike to work with the Speedy?
Of course NOT! The only adequate means of transportation to which a Speedmaster fits is a Saturn V rocket.

Joking aside: The watches were certified by NASA for space flights, against what the watches had to endure during qualification for this, riding a moped is a wellness vacation.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts