WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is it okay to mod your Rolex to look like a more expensive model?

• Yes - it is okay to do it and I support it.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No - it is not as I would rather it stock.

Votes: 10 71.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The background to this thread is a mini stoush in another thread about non- original Rolex and how one that has been modded to look like a more expensive model. So, that discussion got me thinking, "Is it okay to mod your Rolex to look like a more expensive model?"

The wonderful part of a hobby is that it is open to people from all facets of society, the poor and rich alike. The only membership criteria being ownership - be it an entry level model Oyster Perpetual or a top of the range special order Daytona.

Okay, let's face it. Not everyone has an unlimited bank account and many of us buy what we can afford. Coming back to my question, so if you hanker after a more expensive model but cannot afford it, do you buy the cheapest and mod it to look like a more expensive one? In a car analogy, it is someone buying a BMW 318i and mod it by pasting M3 badges, M3 wheels and painting the brake calipers blue.

For me? I would rather not to. It's okay if I can't afford it as I would rather be true to myself and not kid myself to make my car or my watch look more than what it really is. I have created a poll above, and for the benefit of those on Tapatalk, I am just after a simple Yes/No.

Yes - it is okay to dress up my Rolex to look like a more expensive model,
OR
No - it is not. Be true to yourself, wear what you have.

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,152 Posts
Love these threads. Let me spice it up for the rest.. Attached are some pictures of my 116610LN modded with OEM Dial & Bezel from the 116619LB. I was just lucky to be able to source the watch with OEM parts. Here are some pictures for your pleasure..

·
Registered
212 Posts
NO, but could go with a "Yes No- YO" as long it's personal hobby and not be a deceptive sale strategy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,152 Posts
Raja,
I'm wondering if your "SMURF" set Dogbert thinking!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Of course. He posted on OoO that I would shy away or be wary of some one or people. Ah.. I absolutely love dealing with such people.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't get the premise. Who would mod a Rolex to look like a Rolex? Makes no sense. I guess if this was from the angle of making a Seiko look like a Rolex it could at least be fodder for an interesting discussion.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,152 Posts
The background to this thread is a mini stoush in another thread about non- original Rolex and how one that has been modded to look like a more expensive model. So, that discussion got me thinking, "Is it okay to mod your Rolex to look like a more expensive model?"

The wonderful part of a hobby is that it is open to people from all facets of society, the poor and rich alike. The only membership criteria being ownership - be it an entry level model Oyster Perpetual or a top of the range special order Daytona.

Okay, let's face it. Not everyone has an unlimited bank account and many of us buy what we can afford. Coming back to my question, so if you hanker after a more expensive model but cannot afford it, do you buy the cheapest and mod it to look like a more expensive one? In a car analogy, it is someone buying a BMW 318i and mod it by pasting M3 badges, M3 wheels and painting the brake calipers blue.

For me? I would rather not to. It's okay if I can't afford it as I would rather be true to myself and not kid myself to make my car or my watch look more than what it really is. I have created a poll above, and for the benefit of those on Tapatalk, I am just after a simple Yes/No.

Yes - it is okay to dress up my Rolex to look like a more expensive model,
OR
No - it is not. Be true to yourself, wear what you have.
Ganging up and trying to bully me? Not trying to avoid or be wary of anyone. Your own words in the OoO thread.

I’m here. Let’s go.

·
Premium Member
12,743 Posts
Um.... whatever.

My answer is no.

And I tried to make my answer yes. I tried to switch the bracelets on my steel GMTs (BLRO and BLNR) but it didn’t work .

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
Love these threads. Let me spice it up for the rest.. Attached are some pictures of my 116610LN modded with OEM Dial & Bezel from the 116619LB. I was just lucky to be able to source the watch with OEM parts. Here are some pictures for your pleasure..

Nice watch. Did it (and perhaps they) originally say Ginault on the dial too?

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,152 Posts
Nice watch. Did it (and perhaps they) originally say Ginault on the dial too?
LOL. No it did not. Keep at it. Looks like all of you from OoO are gonna come to this thread to bully me. Way to go guys. I’m here.

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,152 Posts
Now, that is true. I saw that post in the Submariner owners' thread. However, I did not name any names as I wanted this to be neutral.
Yeah for sure but it would take a child to correlate your posts on OoO and this thread to figure that you did this just to bully me.

#onlinebullying.

·
Premium Member
29,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course. He posted on OoO that I would shy away or be wary of some one or people. Ah.. I absolutely love dealing with such people.
Hi @raja_3012, whilst your exchange with @Panerol Forte did provide the inspiration for my thread, this was in no way created to bully you. I have kept the names of all you people from that thread out of this.

As an aside, I have known all along that your smurf did not start life as one but I did not comment on it. If you go back and check past posts, I have given you Likes |> and congratulated you on the watch. You are right, it is your money and how you like to spend it hence why I said it's not my business. I have also stayed out of that back and forth between you and Panerol Forte.

Now, before this thread and the Submariner owners' thread get derailed, I would like to ask all of you fellas to take a cool shower and cool off. We're here as a hobby and there is no need to get angsty over it.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
You can do whatever you want with the watch you own. It’s yours. Unless you are not trying to sell it to someone misleading them, it’s fine.

However, changing the dial, bezel and bracelet to your liking is usually not affecting the price at all. Just in our crazy Rolex bubble a different bezel color makes us all giddy and the price skyrocket.

Example:
I bought a Tudor BB GMT on leather strap (only one available) and later bought the original bracelet. Nobody would bat an eyelid. If I do the same with some Rolex models (buy a different bracelet) I am changing the model and value tremendously. Where does modding start?

Is it only called modding because Rolex has different SKUs for each version (datejust with different bezel, dial, bracelet?)?

Anyhow, as for the car analogy, pimping your standard 911 with the a Turbo aero kit, well....if it rocks your boat. Not my style but if it makes the owner happy....who am I to judge.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
You can do whatever you want with the items you own. Your satisfaction is the ultimate goal.

Reactions: imaCoolRobot

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I don't get the premise. Who would mod a Rolex to look like a Rolex? Makes no sense. I guess if this was from the angle of making a Seiko look like a Rolex it could at least be fodder for an interesting discussion.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Well if you change the bezel and dial on your sub, it can become a lookalike to a Kermit, Smurf or Hulk, hence a more expensive and desirable model. I think that was exactly the premise.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Oh and there is a flaw with the original car analogy....

Changing a 318i into a M3 (body, aero kits and badges) does still make every other part a non M3, from suspension to engine to brakes whatever.

With a Rolex sub to Smurf transition, while you don’t change the material of the case and bracelet to white gold, the engine is the same...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.