WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gentlefolk.

So we were running a light hearted 'WUS awards favourite watch of 2013' over on public forum and I reached out for volunteers to run a sub-forum poll.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/wus-readers-awards-975283.html
We quickly got volunteers for Affordables, Digital, Dive.
But nothing from High End.

Not a complaint by the way(!), but it did get me thinking...

Is it even reasonable to ask High End to reach consensus on what the group might consider their favourite watch for a given year?
Are High End watches all of such high quality that differentiating them on an objective basis is not possible?
A favourite high end watch can only be determined individually by the subjective taste of the individual?
Voting for a favourite would just come down to finding the aesthetic that pleased the most people?

Or are there objective differentiators in quality, movement design, etc. that can be productively debated?

I know in the sub $2000 category there can be a wide range of quality in watches that can be relatively easily perceived.
Curious to know if it gets harder at the high-end...

Cheers.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Good evening gentlefolk.

So we were running a light hearted 'WUS awards favourite watch of 2013' over on public forum and I reached out for volunteers to run a sub-forum poll.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/wus-readers-awards-975283.html
We quickly got volunteers for Affordables, Digital, Dive.
But nothing from High End.

Not a complaint by the way(!), but it did get me thinking...

Is it even reasonable to ask High End to reach consensus on what the group might consider their favourite watch for a given year?
Are High End watches all of such high quality that differentiating them on an objective basis is not possible?
A favourite high end watch can only be determined individually by the subjective taste of the individual?
Voting for a favourite would just come down to finding the aesthetic that pleased the most people?

Or are there objective differentiators in quality, movement design, etc. that can be productively debated?

I know in the sub $2000 category there can be a wide range of quality in watches that can be relatively easily perceived.
Curious to know if it gets harder at the high-end...

Cheers.
Consensus isn't too hard to come by. Objective differentiators could be quite difficult to come by. Not necessarily because there are none, but because a lot of what drives one to prefer a high end watch is emotional. A lot of what distinguishes one from another can often be more about art than about actual quality. Few high end watches are not also high quality. Even the ones that are arguably high end and might have an ETA movement inside are incredibly well constructed and usually very well designed too, and one can't much say there's something wrong with an ETA movement, but one can say it's not as elegantly finished.

All the best.

I think I am, therefore, I am... I think.
- George Carlin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts