WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
What I don’t understand is…if the warranty is global and transferable, shouldn’t the watch still come with the warranty?

Unless we’re talking about a BNIB that has been sitting on a shelf for ~5y?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grey market watches frequently come sans warranty.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
guys. Thanks so much for the replies.

this is a statement from their website:

Warranty For Watches:
Our goal is to provide the best service with the best possible pricing. Since J******p.com does not follow the manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) guide, we are not authorized to provide a manufacturer’s warranty. We understand that having a warranty is a major concern when purchasing a watch, therefore J******p.com provides its own warranty to replace the manufacturer's warranty on all our watches

this place sells some major Brands like: A.Lange, AP, Rolex, PP, IWC, Panerai, BlancPain, Cartier, Chopard, GP, Glashutte, Hublot........etc. along with many many more Brands.

they do service the watch . although i would not feel comfortable to have them work on mine. i personally prefer to go to the Brand's service Center for any watch i have in my collection (i'm old fashion).

as for OMEGA. they do offer 4 year warranty. however. their warranty does not cover external damages nor water damage (i suppose ALL Brands don't cover that either).
i guess it might not be a big risk to take. worst case scenario, IF something happened to it i'll send it to Omega headquarters for repair.
mean while i'l still taking my time hunting for one.

thanks again for your help

Reactions: rising.sun

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
No warranty card meaning you are buying it from gray market?

Tough choice but I would rather have it for full price from AD.
I've purchased three Omega watches from 'grey' dealers, here in the UK. All three came with the full Omega five year warranty.
The original Omega warranty card was signed & dated at the Omega AD, that they 'grey' dealer obtained the watches from.

Reactions: Tony A.H and Joe90

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Try chrono24 or sellers from here.
At least 25% new with warranty card is doable
i've tried Chrono24.
there's a whole bunch of 003 (with Tang buckle). but didn't find the 007 which has a Zirconium/Titanium Deployant Buckle .
really prefer that one instead.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
If this is Jomashop, their in-house warranty is worthless on a watch with an in-house or bespoke movement.

Make sure the amount saved covers the cost of a full service at the official service center (Omega publishes prices on their site).

·
Registered
886 Posts
What, we can't say Jomashop here?
I check their prices before going to an AD, and ask them to match it. They may give a song and dance, but should be able to come close.

For any brand, Jomashop gives me an idea of the price flexibility. If they are selling retail, the AD probably is too. If they are selling at 30% off, the AD should be able to give a good discount too. That tells me the market is flooded with that specific watch. Knowledge is power.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
I should say, I’d never buy an Omega without at least a 30% discount (and I’m fond of some Omega’s). But NEVER at msrp. And always with the full Factory warranty (never a non-factory warranty).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Reactions: Tony A.H and Nokie

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I've purchased three Omega watches from 'grey' dealers, here in the UK. All three came with the full Omega five year warranty.
The original Omega warranty card was signed & dated at the Omega AD, that they 'grey' dealer obtained the watches from.
It all depends on the source of the watch. If the gray dealer is someone like Jomashop, they don't always provide omega warranty card, and instead they offer their own warranty in house.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
3k can cover for 4 to 6 Omega services so i wouldn't be too bothered by that. Question is, do you get any warranty from the AD itself? Maybe they have their own service that covers warranty requests up to 2 years from purchase?
So just like buying from Jomashop?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
hi
been recently shopping for the Dark side of the moon. i was told yesterday that OMEGA Authorized Dealers aren't discounting their watches anymore. that means i will have to pay full retail (and it's not a good feeling).
however i found a big outlet that has my watch for 26% discount (we're talking 3K less than retail), yet their watches don't come with warranty cards.
should i take the risk and go for it or pay full retail for a peace of mind?.

Cheers
buy it, put the extra 3K away as it'll cover a lot of repairs should it have issues. The gray market has good deals, but that missing warranty card is a big reason why.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
It all depends on the source of the watch. If the gray dealer is someone like Jomashop, they don't always provide omega warranty card, and instead they offer their own warranty in house.
Personally, I'd never purchase from a 'grey' dealer who didn't supply the watch with the original Omega warranty card & full 5 year warranty.

Reactions: cheu_f50

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Personally, I'd never purchase from a 'grey' dealer who didn't supply the watch with the original Omega warranty card & full 5 year warranty.
Warranties and consumer protection laws in general are different in the US as compared to Europe and the UK.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don’t really understand the hesitance to buy without a warranty from a legitimate grey market seller as long as the discount on the watch is enough to cover a service were something to go wrong with it. Most likely, the watch will be just fine and you’ll end up saving money. Worst case scenario, you have a problem with it and have to get it serviced and end up paying the equivalent of MSRP in the end. In your case, at 3k less than retail, you’ll still save a lot even if you have to get it serviced.

Now if you can find it brand new with a warranty for a similar discount, that’s a different story.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Get new with a factory warranty from an AD.

The last thing you want is a luxury watch that's not factory backed.

I had a 5k watch break 2 weeks into ownership. I have never been so glad to have a real, factory warranty. The AD took care of all the shipping back to Swiss land and I ended up getting a new watch with new serial numbers. I did not have to go to the post office or make phone calls or email. I just gave it to the AD, and he gave me back a brand new watch.

To me, a watch is not brand new without a factory warranty card.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Has this question been answered: Why do grey market or Joma do not have the warranty cards if their sources are authorized dealers, and warranty transferrable?

·
Premium Member
38,811 Posts
I have bought two Omegas from the grey market and had to send one back for servicing, but their warranty did cover the issue, so I guess it is really a matter of who offers what and your comfort level with buying from a non-AD?

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on how much u got it without the WC. Probably u need to compare the discount against the overhaul cost from Omega. If the discount is substantially more than the service fee, probably it's worth it. A service receipt from original manufacturer is as good as a WC (probably better) to me, and your watch got a free servicing (from the discount), delay 1 service interval.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Has this question been answered: Why do grey market or Joma do not have the warranty cards if their sources are authorized dealers, and warranty transferrable?
Generally they may come from overseas markets and will not have a valid US warranty.
Rather like why can I not watch a video or buy a book from Europe? Sometimes the distributor does not authorize the sale outside of that specific market. Go figure.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts