WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I've never had to use warranty during my ownership for an OMEGA.
Saved $ in future purchases by buying Like New / Preowned.
Enjoyed that watch as much as the high dollar new one!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fellas, it really is a crapshoot. I have purchased many, many products over the years and paid extra for the warranty, or extended warranty, in some cases.
Often, it can add quite a lot to the price, and is never used. Electronics, appliances, cars, motorcycles, and yes, watches.
I have rarely, if ever, used one single instance of one of these warranties. A good friend selling appliances for a major retailer told me they make a tremendous profit off warranties. While not necessarily the same as the watch warranties we are discussing here, I would choose the savings on a grey market watch 90% of the time, so long as it is from a proven and respectable seller.

I think it is all about what you can afford to risk. I expect high end merchandise to work. If it does not, I can have it repaired, and like many have already said, that cost would then eat back into my initial savings.

I know I won't have consensus on this next statement, but I strongly feel that if a premium product does not work, as advertised, for at least the initial 3-5 years of ownership, I am going to no longer purchase that product There are plenty of other great Swiss watch brands out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My local Omega AD were offering me a discount to try to stop me buying used on eBay, so there are deals to be done. I wouldn't buy a new anything without a warranty, no mater what the saving... you have to wonder why they are discounting the Omega so heavily and why the warranty is excluded.

·
Registered
35,707 Posts
These watches just go out of the back door of an AD so the Omega warranty card stays in the greys drawer, probably with his name on it, Untill it needs some warranty work.

You normally get a “Own brand” guarantee card from the grey in its place.

No risk to you at all IMO, save the 26% and buy me a house moving present.

PS … the last bit is purely optional.

• Love
Reactions: Tony A.H and Carl.1

·
Banned
43 Posts
It is not necessarily a risk but I think it is essential you have a warranty for the watches you buy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Generally they may come from overseas markets and will not have a valid US warranty.
Rather like why can I not watch a video or buy a book from Europe? Sometimes the distributor does not authorize the sale outside of that specific market. Go figure.
Strange though.
The Omega boutique in London tells me that their warranty is global…unless this varies between region based on where it was purchased?

So as long the watch hasn’t been sitting on the grey dealer’s shelf for ~4y I can’t see how the warranty isn’t available…

…unless…
The grey dealers strike some sort of deal with the manufacturer?
ie a warranty will have an associated cost (a bit like an insurance premium) that is normally built-in to the sale price.
The grey dealers buy (from the manufacturer) at a reduced price but excluding warranty?

This might reduce risk/costs for Omega too?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Strange though.
The Omega boutique in London tells me that their warranty is global…unless this varies between region based on where it was purchased?

So as long the watch hasn’t been sitting on the grey dealer’s shelf for ~4y I can’t see how the warranty isn’t available…

…unless…
The grey dealers strike some sort of deal with the manufacturer?
ie a warranty will have an associated cost (a bit like an insurance premium) that is normally built-in to the sale price.
The grey dealers buy (from the manufacturer) at a reduced price but excluding warranty?

This might reduce risk/costs for Omega too?
Manufacturers don't like seeing their products sold at steep discount on the grey market. Manufacturers have been known to even buy watches from the grey market and then trace the serial numbers to the authorized dealers who originally had them and then punish the ADs. Hence the practice by some ADs of removing serial numbers before sending a watch to the GM. Withholding warranty is likely another trick to avoid the wrath of the manufacturers (likely through appeasement).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Big question indeed.

It looks like grey market is not the same everywhere.
I bought a SM300MC early this year in April from a grey market website, with close to 30% discout and fully stamped warranty card by an italian AD and dated february 2021 …

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
hi
been recently shopping for the Dark side of the moon. i was told yesterday that OMEGA Authorized Dealers aren't discounting their watches anymore. that means i will have to pay full retail (and it's not a good feeling).
however i found a big outlet that has my watch for 26% discount (we're talking 3K less than retail), yet their watches don't come with warranty cards.
should i take the risk and go for it or pay full retail for a peace of mind?.

Cheers
I would be uneasy about purchasing if it does have a warranty card, or papers.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A warranty has no value unless you use it. And in most cases, you'll never use it. If you're getting a good deal on a brand new Omega, then it may very well be worth the risk. If you're going to lose sleep over the fact that there's an off-chance that something may happen within the warranty period that will cost you more to fix than the money you'll save on the purchase, then sure, pay full retail for the warranty.

Think of it this way: people are paying in the high 4-figures and low 5-figures (or more) for 20- to 40-year-old (or older) watches with no warranties, so you'll probably be fine with your brand new Omega.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I won't do that or support it. It actually doesn't make sense if it's new and there's no warranty card.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
A warranty has no value unless you use it. And in most cases, you'll never use it. If you're getting a good deal on a brand new Omega, then it may very well be worth the risk. If you're going to lose sleep over the fact that there's an off-chance that something may happen within the warranty period that will cost you more to fix than the money you'll save on the purchase, then sure, pay full retail for the warranty.

Think of it this way: people are paying in the high 4-figures and low 5-figures (or more) for 20- to 40-year-old (or older) watches with no warranties, so you'll probably be fine with your brand new Omega.
People buying vintage watches for top dollar are buying as collectors/investors, not wearers. Those watches are mostly going to sit in a safe. It really doesn't matter to the owner if they run or run well beyond how it might affect valuation.

As someone who has sent a watch in for warranty repair and had a second, bought grey market, develop issues in what would have been the warranty period if the watch had a warranty, I can assure you that warranty issues do happen (and I've only owned maybe 8 or 9 watches, so I'm not a prolific buyer). I've made car warranty claims as well (which covered an expensive tow and several days with a rental in addition to repair of my car).

Make sure you save enough going grey to cover the cost of fixing a problem. If no problem occurs, great. You saved a bunch of money. If one occurs, then you pay to fix it out of pocket and you're no worse than having paid an AD's price and gotten a warranty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is a difference between buying watches without warranty (stamped cards) or without cards, because in case you are selling the watch papers are considered part of the watch and would sell it for less and take longer time.

Secondly is 5 - 10% discount would make much of a difference ? Since you can still buy OMEGA watches at a good discount with warranty as I have posted earlier (20% off new with OMEGA warranty compared to 26% without)

And finally, the warranty that OMEGA offers is for 5 years and in I'm my option its a long time and anything can happen during this period coz one can not really tell when the watch was made and how long it was sitting before it got sold not to mention the high service costs for some of the movements.

Reactions: Tony A.H and Gixnic

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Swatch service center Brussels
Thanks, i use the Omega service centre in Southampton in England. They are bloody brilliant so no issues.

Reactions: pureb

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Stop believing the posts of people or videos stating that discounts aren't being given. That is that guy's experience. Who knows, the poster could be a complete ********* that pissed off the AD...it happens and now they have posted their experience because it's what happened to THEM. I was told by an AD that GS is asking dealers not to give discounts, but there are always workarounds and you get that good price.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts