WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Generally they may come from overseas markets and will not have a valid US warranty.
Rather like why can I not watch a video or buy a book from Europe? Sometimes the distributor does not authorize the sale outside of that specific market. Go figure.
OMEGA has an international warranty so If you buy an OMEGA watch from an authorized dealer with stamped cards in any country in the world then it is applicable anywhere no questions asked.

ADs are not wholesalers and they can't export watches to other countries, but once watches are sold to individuals they have no control nor they are required to follow up on them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
People buying vintage watches for top dollar are buying as collectors/investors, not wearers. Those watches are mostly going to sit in a safe. It really doesn't matter to the owner if they run or run well beyond how it might affect valuation.
Sure, but I'm not even referring to top-dollar investment vintage watches. I'm talking about daily wearers, or watches worn in rotation. A Datejust from the 1990s or early 2000s that someone is going to wear every day will easily cost $5000 - $6000 or more. If something breaks on that watch, it's going to cost at least $800 - $1000 at an RSC to fix it.

But we agree on the rest: yes, warranty claims do happen, but they are the exception not the norm. If there is a brand where they are the norm—don't buy that brand. And if you ever buy without a warranty, make sure the discount is worth the potential repair costs, which you likely—though aren't guaranteed—will never need to pay.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
DSOTM is a relatively old watch with lower demand than say the 321 Speedy or even the 3861 Speedy. Go find another AD that will give you a discount, or just confront your current AD with this info and push for a discount.

Buying from the grey market carries the same risks as buying pre-owned. Go do some research on the specific seller and decide for yourself if you're willing to take the risk to save some money.

Also I personally haven't re-sold any of my watches, but do note that missing papers/cards will lower the resale value if you do eventually sell it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stop believing the posts of people or videos stating that discounts aren't being given. That is that guy's experience. Who knows, the poster could be a complete * that pissed off the AD...it happens and now they have posted their experience because it's what happened to THEM. I was told by an AD that GS is asking dealers not to give discounts, but there are always workarounds and you get that good price.
GS is actually forbidding AD's to have promotions.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Even with warranty, it's risky to buy an Omega. For EU customers that is. The SC is horrible
Where are you getting this from. I’ve only read of one or two instances on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
And finally, the warranty that OMEGA offers is for 5 years and in I'm my option its a long time and anything can happen during this period coz one can not really tell when the watch was made and how long it was sitting before it got sold not to mention the high service costs for some of the movements.
This right here. I bought a new 8500 PO (my grail watch) that was built a few years ago and was probably sitting at the AD display case for a few years.
It’s a new watch no matter what year it was built and the 5 year warranty was activated as soon as I bought the watch.
If anything happens within 5 years, I am covered.
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Silver

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
GS is actually forbidding AD's to have promotions.
There is that information that I just spoke of. But there are workarounds...I know that for a certainty lol. These workarounds have been used by AD's forever.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is that information that I just spoke of. But there are workarounds...I know that for a certainty lol. These workarounds have been used by AD's forever.
With promotions, they mean like 20% of all GS with window stickers and flyers.
Ofc you can negotiate a discount

·
Registered
41 Posts
The major points
1. If it is a reputable dealer like watchmaxx that just sells outside of AD - the watch is legit, no concern of authenticity
2. Some of the 2nd hand dealers like watchmaxx or others give a warranty
3. The real issues is resale value. You might loose a little on the resale, but not much if watch is in good shape and you have receipts.
4. I'd do it. A lot of people get hung up on the cards, but its more personal preference in my mind, not a must for authenticity.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Reactions: M.N.A

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
If this is Jomashop, their in-house warranty is worthless on a watch with an in-house or bespoke movement.

Make sure the amount saved covers the cost of a full service at the official service center (Omega publishes prices on their site).
and that's exactly my fear after purchase !.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is a good explanation on grey dealers such as Jomashop.

“There are few differences to differentiate a gray market watch from the white market. One is that a luxury watch sold by an authorized dealer will come with a warranty from the brand itself. Usually in the form of a 5-year international guarantee, which is only issued by an authorized dealer. Some gray market websites offer a third-party guarantee, but it can’t cover the extent of damages that an official warranty can”

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would buy it for $3K less if I am certain it's a genuine and new watch. The worst could happens is that you have to send it to Swatch center for standard service ($650). As far as I know they don't care if you have warranty card or not as long as you pay for the service.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts