WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is it time the spring bar was re-designed for easier removal?

• Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I say this as a total imcompetent in any manual endeavor. It really isn't very difficult.
On straps it's not. With bracelets, it can be a pain usually.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I will always get drilled lugs if it's an option, but I'm not going to decide on my next watch based on that alone. I wish more still offered drilled lugs.

·
Premium Member
8,888 Posts
Yah, if we're talking a spring bar, then the trick is to make compressing the spring easier. That's what the QR lever is for.

And sure, it won't work on most bracelets, but as was noted, that's an issue with how one can build bracelets. And especially bracelets with end links.

·
Banned
626 Posts
The trouble with spring bars is that removing them, even with the appropriate tool, can cause lug scratches. And on top of that, many straps are too thick to allow sufficient space for the tool to enter, again causing lug scratches.

True, there are special straps with a spring bar removal mechanism built into them, but until these become the universal standard, these straps will only have a limited offering of styles and materials available to buy.

And also true, drilled lugs are a good idea, but not all watches would suit drilled lugs—dress watches for example.

So, personally, I would welcome a redesign of the spring bar.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I’ll be honest....I suck at removing straps. Yes, I've got the proper tools...I just suck at it. Lately I’ve become a big fan of the quick release, although I will mention that I’ve noticed they can cause the strap to look just a hair wonky. The “lever” can make the strap ride up just a hair, and sometimes the lever opening offers too much play/slack; which can result in the strap not sitting perfectly aligned to the case (cocked a bit). So while they’re convenient and a whole lot easier, I think there’s still room for improvement. Guess what I’m sayin’ is yeah, I’d welcome a new system.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I say this as a total imcompetent in any manual endeavor. It really isn't very difficult.
I used to say this. Then I got some higher-end watches with tighter tolerances on the bracelet end-link fittings.

On those watches it's very difficult to keep the spring bar compressed one one side, while I work the other side. It's hard when there's absolutely zero play between the endlinks and the lugs.

Outside of drilled lugs, I'd welcome an improved system. However, springbars have a long, proven history and work well at their primary job duty, which is to not let your $5,000+ watch fall off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
And also true, drilled lugs are a good idea, but not all watches would suit drilled lugs—dress watches for example.

So, personally, I would welcome a redesign of the spring bar.
The Nomos Orion works just fine as a dress watch with drilled lugs. More watches should have them.

Having said that, there is room for improvement in spring bars.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am completely surprised at how many people maul a beautiful watch case while changing straps. I mean, would you change the shingles on your roof if you didn't know how to do it?

The quick release spring bars are great but it doesn't seem that many brands offer them, perhaps with the idea that straps should not be changed.

I love bars and bolts idea for security. My Aquis has that set-up but the bolt/screw seems pitifully small for the duty although I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
I have no issues with spring bars, at all, with straps, and only occasionally with bracelets, where the problem with the latter has more to do with the poor access design by the bracelet/watch maker, than the spring bar itself.

·
Banned
626 Posts
One solution could be for watches to be made with no spring bars at all like this Bertucci watch:

images.jpg

This would mean that only Nato straps could be used—or those straps where the ends fold over the spring bar and can be clipped to the rest of the strap, like these ones:

190506421_o (450 x 278).jpg

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
Some straps already have the quick release mechanism but I’ve never tried it out. I’m sure it’s easier.
This ^^

My Smartwatches have this and it’s much easier to change straps without any tools.

The limitation is that the straps need to be designed from the outset with the springbar cutout included and already installed otherwise they may be tricky to fit retrospectively.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
It works well for its intended job. No need to change it. For those that advocate change here, is it because you yourselves have trouble with it? Does the problem therefore lay with your goodselves and your ability?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts