WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to apologize if this topic has been covered before or is misplaced!

But I am facing a problem. I have sold a few items and have enough invested in watches where I could possibly sell my collection and buy my grail, a 14060m (COSC or Non COSC, whatever I can find).

I know this is a very personal problem but I am wondering if other Rolex board members can chime in. I am sure some of you have been in a similar situation. Selling off the collection for the one true piece! Was it worth it? Are you happy with your grail?

I understand that in 99% of situations, no one will notice whats on my wrist. But I am concerned that if I buy a Rolex, people will come to the wrong conclusion because they recognize the brand! I have worked my a*s off the last 5 years to be able to do the things I like and dont want people thinking I get everything from my parents.

Obviously people buy luxery watches for the name in most cases. But I was filling a boat yesterday and these two snobby kids had dads credit card, his 30ft Tiara, and Rolex's gifted to them by their parents (A pepsi GMT and a Sub date). Absolute snobs, I could not even ask how they like the boat before getting interrupted with a "are you done with the head pump yet?" They did not even say "thank you" for my service ( A nasty head pump, $600 gas, and 50gal fresh water). *END RANT*

So, for those of you who sold off your collection for that one watch, was it worth it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
255 Posts
First I would like to apologize if this topic has been covered before or is misplaced!

But I am facing a problem. I have sold a few items and have enough invested in watches where I could possibly sell my collection and buy my grail, a 14060m (COSC or Non COSC, whatever I can find).

I know this is a very personal problem but I am wondering if other Rolex board members can chime in. I am sure some of you have been in a similar situation. Selling off the collection for the one true piece! Was it worth it? Are you happy with your grail?

I understand that in 99% of situations, no one will notice whats on my wrist. But I am concerned that if I buy a Rolex, people will come to the wrong conclusion because they recognize the brand! I have worked my a*s off the last 5 years to be able to do the things I like and dont want people thinking I get everything from my parents.

Obviously people buy luxery watches for the name in most cases. But I was filling a boat yesterday and these two snobby kids had dads credit card, his 30ft Tiara, and Rolex's gifted to them by their parents (A pepsi GMT and a Sub date). Absolute snobs, I could not even ask how they like the boat before getting interrupted with a "are you done with the head pump yet?" They did not even say "thank you" for my service ( A nasty head pump, $600 gas, and 50gal fresh water). *END RANT*

So, for those of you who sold off your collection for that one watch, was it worth it?

Thank you!
Yes it is worth it to sell your collection to obtain your grail. Best of luck.

As for your other concern on how people will react when they see your Rolex and those 2 kids with the boat, read this:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/have-stupid-rich-yuppies-ruined-my-grail-forever-392011.html

Basically screw what other people may think. Your worked hard for it so wear it with pride!!!https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/have-stupid-rich-yuppies-ruined-my-grail-forever-392011.html

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Selling your collection to buy your grail is always worth it. If you have your grail--particularly one as versatile as the Sub--why would you ever want to wear anything else?

And particularly with the 14060M, what a grail to have. I recently found a new one and couldn't be happier. It's the one I wanted for a long, long time.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I read a quote which, to paraphrase, stated along the lines of:

"The most expensive watch you purchase, will be the one you get instead of the watch you truly desire."

If this is your grail then, yes, I would sell the collection for the funding. I recently purchased (after saving) my Sub 14060M, and could not be happier. I am actually at the point of now looking to thin out my collection because I don't forsee wearing certain of my watches much any more.

You only live once, and if this is the watch you truly want, I say go for it.

mike.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Get the sub....you won't be sorry...not all Rolex wearers are snobs.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
I could easily survive with only 1 watch..............For me, it would be the 16600 SeaDweller. However, I LOVE my 14060M.

I say definitely go for it. You will not be sorry.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm not sure what your true question is, so I'll answer both..:think:

1. Collections... the changing, streamlining, and focus of a "collection" is always changing, so I would say "yes", it is very appropriate to sell some or all of a collection to bring more focus (your grail) and direction. After you get the Sub, then you work for the next addition......... otherwise it's not a collection but rather just a bunch of watches taking up space..

2. Your concern about being perceived to be a snob just because you wear a Rolex.. Well, there are plenty of snobs in the world and what they have on their wrist doesn't identify them one way or the other.. Likewise, a Rolex on your wrist isn't going to badge you as one unless you act like one.. As you said, almost nobody will know what you have on your wrist...but everybody around you will see your actions..

·
Registered
699 Posts
it is worth it, because if you could keep your collection and have your "grail" as well think of the wrist time you would spend with the other watches...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
for a non-cosc 14060M, you're damn right it's worth it. the clean dial makes it very subtle,so that only fellow WIS know what it is. that makes life simpler & safer.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes, it is worth it. Before taking the plunge with the 14060M be sure you can live without the date function. Other than that, it is the perfect watch. Oh, and be sure to get the non-cosc dial. So clean and classic.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Get the 14060M. You won't regret it. Once you buy one, it's hard not to start longing for # 2.. It's a bit of a obsession for some of us...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Man, that's GOTTA be Lake Minnetonka!

The 14060M was my grail, and now I'm wearing it as I type this here in sweltering Minnesota. You will never regret getting it, and for what it's worth I've only had ONE person even notice I was wearing a Rolex. The 14060M flies under the radar pretty well, not having a cyclops and date complication.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

The search begins:think:

@Doug: You bet its Lake Minnetonka! I have met some of the nicest people and some arrogant b*sterds...

Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
But I was filling a boat yesterday and these two snobby kids had dads credit card, his 30ft Tiara, and Rolex's gifted to them by their parents (A pepsi GMT and a Sub date). Absolute snobs, I could not even ask how they like the boat before getting interrupted with a "are you done with the head pump yet?"
God, I am so sick and tired of these posts complaining about ill mannered people wearing Rolexes. It has nothing at all to do with the watch. These people are A-holes, and will still be A-holes regardless if they are wearing a Seiko, G-Shock, or a freakin Patek. How did you know the watches were gifted by their parents? You have to be careful when you assume things. After all, they could have bought them with their trust fund, hehehe. And the behavior you describe is not "snobbish". It's simply "rude" behaviour. Bottom line, I understand where you are coming from, but the behavior has NOTHING to do with the watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts