WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father recently showed me his old Rolex that he wore for as long as I can remember. Its been his daily beater and its definitely seen better days. As of right now the watch does not run. Up until recently (as recent as early March maybe later) he wore this watch daily and it kept great time. When I came back from school I noticed he was wearing a different watch. It seems like there is some sort of internal damage as the crown unscrews fine but it will not set as the crown seems to lock up when the stem is pulled out all the way.

He has a new daily wear watch so he asked me if I wanted it. He wants to have it repaired but I am not sure if its worth it. It has sentimental value to me as its a piece I associate with him but there is a line between preserving a piece for its sentimental value and throwing money out the window.

A couple things I'm curious about:

What model is it?

The crystal is not glass (plexi?) is that oem or aftermarket?

The bracelet is pretty beat. What do replacements run (used is fine and prefered for cost reasons).

What is the upper limit we should be looking at spending before we are upside down on the watch?

Any suggestions?

Pics Below

Attachments

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
As you said it has sentimental value. So you should consider preserving it. I would. It is not throwing money out the window if you are really going to appreciate it.

~JB

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I would send it to RS only and they will work up a quote for you and should be able to tell you its value. Then you can decide from there if it worth it or not...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen watches like that one in good condition going for $1100 to $1500. My AD watchmaker is licensed by Rolex to repair and he said he could go through and fix, clean and repair all that was wrong for around $500 on a old one of mine. With the sentimental value it would be worth that to me. I am sure Rolex Service would charge more but not that much more. I would certainly investigate before I gave up on it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would send it to Rolex service center and get a quote.It is time consuming but is worth every cent because its a family heir loom.They will be able to give you a replacement value and the special instructions on how to pack and tape it(...you must use security tape that covers every inch of the box avaliable only at the post office) what a great gift you will wear a long time to come!I would also send the bracelet and see if they can help but it looks completely streched out .Maybe a leather strap or after market bracelet rather then buying a new one?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Is it not correct that RSC will not work on watches past a certain vintage?
I believe I've read that?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would send it to Rolex service center and get a quote.It is time consuming but is worth every cent because its a family heir loom.They will be able to give you a replacement value and the special instructions on how to pack and tape it(...you must use security tape that covers every inch of the box avaliable only at the post office) what a great gift you will wear a long time to come!I would also send the bracelet and see if they can help but it looks completely streched out .Maybe a leather strap or after market bracelet rather then buying a new one?

The bracelet is fairly stretched out. I wonder if a competant jewler could refurbish it though. Does Rolex offer replacement parts for bracelets or is it a "non servicable" item? I know the bracelet ends are obtainable but I was unsure if the center links were. It seem as though the centerlinks have stretched out over time.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Rolex would probably require a new bracelet.
No idea if a watchmaker could fix yours?
On the whole I think a good watchmaker could do wonders with that though!
They'd give you an estimate of cost I'm sure so you could decide.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like this company: http://www.classicwatchparts.com/watch/index.php?c=2&p=band

does band restorations. The steel restorations seem VERY reasonably priced. I have a few issues with my band (the end pieces need replacement and two of the center links are badly damaged. I found them through another website but if they can restore a my band for under $200 i'd be very happy considering the cost of a replacement.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I recently spent around £700 repairing/servicing my dad's 1965 Oysterdate (a much more modest model than yours i think) which he gave to me when i was 16 and it was worth every penny - so if i were you i definately would send it to an RSC and wear it!

Would love to see 'after' pics too if you do :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
I recently spent around £700 repairing/servicing my dad's 1965 Oysterdate (a much more modest model than yours i think) which he gave to me when i was 16 and it was worth every penny - so if i were you i definately would send it to an RSC and wear it!

I have the exact same watch which I got from my father. Same dial color, only difference is that mine is circa 1964.

Wonderful watches and wonderfully light to wear.

To the OP, I would really preserve it. My dad passed away a few years ago. I started cherishing the watch more and more and hopefully will pass it down. Probably worth restoring it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would e-mail them the model numbers first before sending because it is correct that they will not work on much older rolexes because they discontunue parts or the movement was made by a differant watch company (this is for much older 1920s-1940ish movements)But the model you have shown us may still have its parts in production. Dont let a jeweler work on your bracelet...they wont be able to fix that type of gapping properly...i bet Rolex will just suggest a new bracelet because they can only repair minor gapping.If the bracelet is wearable then use the original regardless of the gapping.

·
Registered
742 Posts
x10 looks like a nice piece and styling not out of date at all so can be a daily wear item no problem. Get it fixed. I also heard that RSC won't repair old items but you might think about sending it to Rolex overseas?

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
I guess its settled then. I will be getting it repaired. I'll keep you guys updated as to its progress.
I am looking forward to seeing it after it returns from its date at the spa.

~JB

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're in the U.S. I know of a Rolex certified repair person who specializes in vintage watches. I just had a watch from 1935 repaired and it only cost me $70. If you want I could give you his information so you could contact him.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts

how did you get the old dial from RSC? Recently I've sent my Rolex to RSC and it was about 1100USD o| yikes. But anyway I'm still waiting till the end of this month to receive it back. My watch needed bezel, case back and case replacement so I'm wondering if I could ask RSC to at least give me one old part back. How do I do that?

Andrew

1 - 20 of 62 Posts