WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing this sub forum the other night, I decided to see if I had a spare battery for my G-Shock DW-004 Japan version that I bought in Hawaii in ~1999. I proceeded to open up the G case back probably for its first time ever, and noted that the o-ring gasket was out of its groove, and likely was never in place correctly. Not good. Popped in the new battery and...dead lcd pixels. All functions seems to work properly but it looks like some of the elements are nonfunctional. I've spent the better part of the last few hours browsing this sub and other Casio fan sites and it looks like there's not much that I can do except purchase a new 1826 module. I live close-ish to the west coast Casio authorized service location and was wondering if they're going to be able to offer a fix. These models are not worth much on eBay so I can grab one used and swap modules for about $30.00 if that's my only option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never even heard of an AC reset before you posted about it. I googled it and I'll try it tonight. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
Yes try the AC reset.

If it does not fix it right away. Do it once or twice more. If it is still acting up. Take the module out. Open up the module. There are tons O' tutorials about how to do it. Then check to make sure the conductive rubber strips are making contact with the lcd. It could be nothing more than needing to make sure the module is snapped closed and tight. If that still does nothing, then yes it could be a bad lcd.

As you suggested, you can always find a used watch on the Bay and take the module (and non-crimped O ring) out and use them in your watch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys, but no luck last night =(. I tried the AC reset a few times, which worked but not for the pixels. So I took apart the module - very straightforward and intuitive - and managed to find the rubber strips you talked about. I cleaned those, reassembled, and nothing. Did the AC reset again and still the same dead LCD pixels. Not sure if it's unrelated, but the squashed corner of the gasket looks like led to some moisture ingress, as there was an oily, rusty residue on all parts right around where the gasket was crushed under the screw. I took pictures as best I could and circled the rust spots in red. Funny enough, when I took the module apart, a random spring fell out! I couldn't figure out where it goes, and the module functions the same without it: lights, tones, etc. Anybody know where it goes by any chance?

Looks like I'm going to be eBay sniping a used DW-004. I'm not in a hurry to fix the G, and for me the daily drudging on eBay is a big part of the fun of collecting watches!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about the module. The spring is for the Piezo speaker (buzzer). When you align the black shock mat on the back of the module, the little spring fits in the opening of the mat, and a socket in the module that has a small raised lip around it. For the case.. I would try to dry it out as much as possible, and remove the rust as much as you can. I'm thinking about restoring the one I have, but not sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip on the spring, Knight-Reaper. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but at least I know where the spring goes now! Sadly, the price eBay price on the DW-004 modules keeps creeping higher and higher; it's doubled in the past eight months. I'm still sniping eBay for a full used watch though, fingers crossed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts