WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From all the searching I did on this forum and google, I want to say no, it's not fake. But yesterday I looked at my watch and it had gained a few hours in time. Now I don't remember if I was playing with the crown or not prior to that, so I can't definitively say I messed up the time on purpose. But it got me 2nd guessing if it's a genuine 8500 movement. I did buy this from a local seller on ebay and picked it up in person. He has all the paperwork (receipt, cards, box) but is missing the Chronometer card, which I later read that Omega stopped including that in the 2nd half of 2013 purchases. The serial number on the case matches the serial number on the movement (opposite "barrel two").

I do want to add that the watch had the serial number sticker on the back of the case when I bought it but I took it off. It matched up too.

I also hear a lot of speculation that the He valve shouldn't line up with the "50" mark on the bezel. I can't quite tell...what do you guys think?

I appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: skoony

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone have any additional feedback?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no one??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks absolutely genuine to me.

The movement is still the give-away on the fake ones.

Altough they are getting much better these days...

To an untrained eye they look quite similar.

Fake 42 vs Genuine 45.5

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! In the first pic of yours it seems the 42mm fake is on the right side, correct? It looks shockingly real.

in reference to my pics, does the He valve placement look ok?

Looks absolutely genuine to me.

The movement is still the give-away on the fake ones.

Altough they are getting much better these days...

To an untrained eye they look quite similar.

Fake 42 vs Genuine 45.5

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup, that's correct, on the first pic the 42 Replica is the one on the right.

To me it looks that your He-Valve is placed correctly. But I must honestly say that I primarely base my "genuine" opinion on the movement of your watch.
Altough the producers of these replica's even do a good job there with the decoration of the movement. Still you can clearly see they used another base movement.

When I only have a look at the top of the watch, even I can get fooled, and I own the real thing for almost two years now....

On the wrist I would be fooled by this kind of replica even if it was in my face :)

Can you spot which one is the replica in the second picture?

Reactions: Rahul718

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does the serial # match the paperwork? If so you're good. The new fakes of these are coming out with Miyota movements which look very similar to the 8500 movement.

They won't be able to replicate the 'quickset hour hand' in the movement though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yep the sn does match the warranty card, but it was hand written on the warranty card if that matters. The jeweler's name is in computer print though. Also, the watch did have the s/n sticker on the back of the case, which I removed.

Does the serial # match the paperwork? If so you're good. The new fakes of these are coming out with Miyota movements which look very similar to the 8500 movement.

They won't be able to replicate the 'quickset hour hand' in the movement though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

To me it looks that your He-Valve is placed correctly. But I must honestly say that I primarely base my "genuine" opinion on the movement of your watch.
Altough the producers of these replica's even do a good job there with the decoration of the movement. Still you can clearly see they used another base movement.

When I only have a look at the top of the watch, even I can get fooled, and I own the real thing for almost two years now....

On the wrist I would be fooled by this kind of replica even if it was in my face :)

Honestly, I'm at a loss in regards to the 2nd pic. They look shockingly identical

Reactions: crazeazn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hint: Both pics were taken on the same date (28), mine runs within COSC, the replica 15 seconds slow :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep the sn does match the warranty card, but it was hand written on the warranty card if that matters. The jeweler's name is in computer print though. Also, the watch did have the s/n sticker on the back of the case, which I removed.
Loosen the crown. It should release and you'll be in position 1.
Pull it out one step to position 2. The second hand should still be running.
Turn the crown. Does the hour jump or does the date change?

If the hour jumps, you're good. It's the real thing. If the date starts changing, you got ripped off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! Just did this and it checked out. If the date changed, it wouldn't be right bc this watch doesn't have a quick date set feature correct?

If the hour jumps, you're good. It's the real thing. If the date starts changing, you got ripped off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Chenner!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I belive its the Left one in the second pic...for me the orange is a give away...but i could be wrong :)

·
Registered
426 Posts

Usefull info, thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks original. I have the same one but version 2014 with grey bezel. The caliber is not fake. About the time deviation could be for many reasons.. Spring clicked over itself (due to hard shocks or making sport with it), terrible bad adjustement (unlike at this price level and the technical service omega has at least in europe), old oiling (again unlike), to mention some. Id bring it to the original SAT if i were you.
Regards

1 - 20 of 27 Posts