WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about grabbing a Orient watch that unfortunately has no quickset date capabilities. Does anyone here own a watch without quickset date? Is it as irritating as I think it would be? I imagine that after a while I would ignore the date totally and not set it. Is it a dealer breaker you?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Short answer - no.

I normally do what you mentioned at the end of your post, just ignore the date and wear the watch. That's why I have become more attracted to no-date watches:-d

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It is a dealbreaker for me, but I always wear watches with a date and I do not use a winder so it would be a big pain to be resetting that watch when I wanted to wear it and in the end would likely mean I would avoid wearing it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have only one no date watch and I agree that it is refreshing to not have to worry about setting the date.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I just bought a Bell-Matic which unbeknownst to me has no quickset day. I would have bought it even if I had known just because I really wanted a Bell-Matic, but setting the day sure is annoying. No quickset date woud be even more annoying. Either would be a deal breaker on a mdern watch, as it has come to be epected on even the lowliest 7s26. But on a vintage watch I could put up with it because times and technology were different.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought a Bell-Matic which unbeknownst to me has no quickset day. I would have bought it even if I had known just because I really wanted a Bell-Matic, but setting the day sure is annoying. No quickset date woud be even more annoying. Either would be a deal breaker on a mdern watch, as it has come to be epected on even the lowliest 7s26. But on a vintage watch I could put up with it because times and technology were different.
What's a bell-matic?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Unless it's a vintage, yes. With today's technology, I see no excuse not to include quickset date capability in a modern watch. Nearly splurged on an Omega Seamaster GMT around a year ago, thank goodness I read that the quickset date function had been sacrificed for the GMT complication. I simply don't understand how an innovative company that sells this watch for US$2000 could scrimp on a quickset date.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
No. No problem.
I like fiddling around with the Watch Of the Week!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Unless there's something really wonderful about the watch, lack of a quickset date would be a deal breaker for me. I've only owned one date watch that lacked the quickset. The only time I would wear it would be if I didn't have to advance the date by more than a day or two. I have around a dozen watches or so and try to cycle through most of them every month or so. If I didn't wear that watch at the correct time of the month it would sit in the drawer until next month.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
What's a bell-matic?
A vintage Seiko with a tiny little mechanical alarm. I've been wanting one for ages. Pics in my gallery if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've always thought watches with dates will come with quick-set date function. It's definitely irritating w/o one. If it's quartz then not so much of a problem since only need to adjust about once every 2 months. If it's mechanical,it's terrible. Funny thing is sales staff never mention such function to me. Maybe 'cos the watches i bought always comes with it but it'll be cruel to find out after i purchase it that the mechanical piece doesn't have Q-set date..

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
It ruined this watch for me...

Me too. That's the downside of having a quickset 12h hand on the 2892 movement; Omega has to sacrifice the quickset date function to achieve it. Same with the Rolex GMT II - to reset the date on 1 March you have to clunk... clunk... clunk through the hours 48 times and I bet that does the cannon pinion no good at all.

Can't be doing with it, esp as I no longer schlep through airports on business, and I have to advance the date far more often than I go on holiday :(

·
Registered
742 Posts
Definitely yes. I just can't stand rotating it through a hundred hours before wearing it in the morning. Or invest in a winder. Can't ignore the date either. I think it's just me.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the Amphibia has the ability to false-quick-set by going back and forth between 9pm and 12am (about four turns per date change), without damaging the movement.

can/do other movements do this? Omega?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well, it was a shame about the Seamaster GMT, too - it was a really beautiful watch in all other aspects. I wanted to love it so badly, but that design flaw just killed it for me. I'll probably never buy another Omega as a result.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts