WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been monitoring my new Nomos manual wind for a week and it gains a steady 6 seconds a day.
I'm wondering if I should run to my watchmaker to have it regulated, or give it more time to settle down?
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
A steady 6 secs a day is pretty good IMO. Nice movement btw

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
+6 per day seems pretty good to me. I would set the watch slow by 15 secs on Sunday night, and not think of it again until next Sunday night when I reset the time back 42 seconds. ymmv.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
+6 SPD is within COSC Swiss watch spec so i would leave it. Also depending on how you sit your watch at night it could gain or lose time. Try in different positions as it may lose some seconds at night.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mine also runs about the same as yours. Definitely better to be a little fast than slow. Better early than late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Mine also runs about the same as yours. Definitely better to be a little fast than slow. Better early than late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Two things.
1. You said it was a new watch. Give it a little time before taking the time. It can be a few weeks before new watches break in.
2. As others have said; try different resting positions at night. This chart has always helped me.
uploadfromtaptalk1443874031806.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Id say that's pretty good

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Let it be. Why needlessly open a brand new watch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
-4 plus 6 is perfect timing. Remember, the way you lay your watch (if you take it off at night) can speed up or slow down the timing a little bit...you can google this info

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
I'm with the others, off by 6 is very good in my book.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not to worry Billiybop, at 6 seconds fast you're still within COSC spec. Try these few things and see if they help:

Lay the watch vertically with the crown facing downwards. If your watch starts running too fast: lay the watch vertically with the crown facing up.

If your automatic watch is still running fast by a larger margin, the most likely cause is that the mainspring may have gotten itself caught on one of the small screws inside of the watch. To free the mainspring up place the watch in your palm with the crystal facing down and gently tap the case back, this should free up the mainspring and it should start keeping good time again.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
+6 seconds is on the high side for a new watch, although it may settle down as it breaks in. One variable that no one has mentioned so far is the effect of activity on watch accuracy. A tightly wound watch tends to gain time, so if the watch sees enough vigorous action during the wearing period it can gain more time than it might under other conditions.

I have tested seven automatics, COSC and non-COSC, new and up to 16 years old, recently serviced and no record of service, on three winder settings and on the wrist. The type of movement varies from ETA 2824-2 to in-house Rolex and PAM. The overall average is +2.57 sec/day. The best? A PAM that's sixteen years old with no record of service: +0.4 sec/day. The worst? A nine year old Sub n/d that is +4.5 sec/day. So +6 may be considered "not bad," but in my book it's borderline. If it gets worse with age and flopping it around on the nightstand doesn't work, have it checked out.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
It is within COSC spec and it may not be COSC certified anyway, so it is doing quite well. Better fast than slow.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'd leave it to settle for a little longer. I have no experience with Nomos but all the Eta and Seiko movements I had new settle in and slow over 2-3 months or so. Since it's a manual wind, you can try increasing the intervals between when you wind up your watch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
+6...? I'd just stop it once a week or so, wait the (30-40 seconds) and start it back up. It'd be a pleasure to do so.

Reactions: PYLTN

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'd say that's pretty good timekeeping. See how it settles in after some more use and if you fancy it, try some positional regulation. The fact that mech watches don't keep perfect time is part of what makes them enjoyable to own IMO.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts