WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Is it? Have Rolex ever produced a tourbillon or Grande sonnerie? Brands like Seiko have produced both in-house. Chinese brands like Sea-Gull have produced a tourbillon movement. Is it because Rolex is incapable of haute horology? I think a lot of Rolex owners are interested in owning something that says Rolex on the dial. Rather than buying a high end brand. These are just some thoughts feel free to discuss.
Complications of the kind you mention aren't what Rolex is about these days.

Franck Muller built a perpetual calendar using a Rolex DateJust in 1989. This is probably the closest we've got to seeing a Rolex equipped with such complications in the modern era (and that too was a one-off personal project built for a friend).

Rolex in 2020 focuses on high-quality construction of relatively basic designs. Even once functional components - such as the fluted bezel - are now just ornamental. It's high-quality work but typically doesn't break new ground on the complications front. The one exception might be the Sky Dweller.

For build quality alone, Rolex watches are worth their salt in the $5,000-$15,000 MRSP range. That's to say, I'd pay within this range for Rolex watches, and I have. It also means that I would never, ever pay any more for one. Above $15,000 and you should be expecting watches that deliver creative fireworks, not just more precious metals or gemstones.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
My opinion:

Rolex watches are way too common to be "special".

And a mass produced watch with little manual craftsmanship applied is NOT great watchmaking. But it sure as hell is exceptional watchmaking. Rolexes are nearly perfect in their precision and robustness. But haute horlogerie they are not.

Rolex has bullet proof movements that will outlast their owners - but they are not craftsmanship or art.

If you buy for example a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and look at the movement - the handfinishing, it's a joy to behold. Open the case back of a comparatively priced Rolex and you see as a rock solid, precise movement for sure but nothing that tickles your senses.

I love Rolex - but they are not high horology

Reactions: mnf67 and En_Nissen

·
Registered
237 Posts
The reason Rolex hides the movements of every single one of their watches is because there is nothing worth showing off there. Even their Cellini dress watches do not have a display case back. The fact is that Rolex is a mass produced brand that makes a million watches a year. There is no real craft or hand finishing that goes into the making of their watches. The one exception might be those precious metal sports models with gem-set dials or bezels, as those do require work done by an artisan.

Reactions: En_Nissen

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is it? Have Rolex ever produced a tourbillon or Grande sonnerie? Brands like Seiko have produced both in-house. Chinese brands like Sea-Gull have produced a tourbillon movement. Is it because Rolex is incapable of haute horology? I think a lot of Rolex owners are interested in owning something that says Rolex on the dial. Rather than buying a high end brand. These are just some thoughts feel free to discuss.
i think any contention Rolex has the ability to create a grand complication, especially one from scratch, is optimistic conjecture. The company and brand have been built on some genuine early innovation but decades of very gradual evolution. All evidence would suggest that they would need new blood or outside help with the heavy lifting. It's simply not been their thing, I would be very surprised if it became so in the future.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are the Cellini Prince models back in production again? The last time I checked their catalogue, this has long been discontinued and they no longer produce manual wind watches. I know that their newer Cellini models have solid case backs with their standard 31xx movement.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Are the Cellini Prince models back in production again? The last time I checked their catalogue, this has long been discontinued and they no longer produce manual wind watches. I know that their newer Cellini models have solid case backs with their standard 31xx movement.
Sorry, I must have missed the part where you said, "currently produced" Cellini dress watches.

·
Registered
492 Posts
People can moan about Rolex all day but it is the brand that most people would like to wear on their wrists whether or not they are into watches or not.To many its more than a watch it is to them a statement It just happens to be a good watch in the bargain.Most people who are able to afford one are not thinking of the complications in a watch

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
People can moan about Rolex all day but it is the brand that most people would like to wear on their wrists whether or not they are into watches or not.To many its more than a watch it is to them a statement It just happens to be a good watch in the bargain.Most people who are able to afford one are not thinking of the complications in a watch
Sure, that may be true, but that wasn't the question posed by the thread. The answer is, of course, "No," but that isn't saying they are bad watches, just that they don't represent "high horology". The universe of watches isn't unidimensional and there can be more than one aspect to appreciation.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Definitely and emphatically, "NO!" Rolex is mass produced and not haut horology. Is it a good watch regardless, "Yes."

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Isn't the fact that Sea-Gull can make tourbillon movement tell you that ability to create tourbillon does not make a company "haute horology" company?
Heck, you can buy one for few hundred $$.

Pretty much any company can produce complications in limited fashion and it does NOT make the company "haute horology" company.

Basic Grande sonnerie isn't something that is rocket science level difficulty either considering people from over 100 yrs ago were making them as well and feature isn't something "extra ordinary".

Rolex's fame IMHO is ability to produce rock solid and reliable movements inside a basic well constructed case and very good crown sealing technology in LARGE quantity with CONSISTENT quality control. Also, they do NOT vary their basic design so that their older watches does not look very outdated thus preventing large secondary market depreciation.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts