WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think their focus is more on finishing and other finer details of watchmaking. Complications would be nice though.
Their focus definitely is not on finishing. The impression I get from people who like Rolex is that the primary draw comes from their reliability and durability, so presumably were they to expand, it would be in the 'Richard Mille' direction.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Rolex isn't and doesn't want to be. They have perfected the luxury tool watch thing, and they dominate the market to the point that they are able to get away with making their customers pay independent brand money (in buying watches their customers don't like to get a chance to buy what they like). There is no point in sinking the kind of resources one would need to build a whole bunch of new movements to branch into someone else's territory. Sports watches are THE big market. And Rolex is the biggest fish in the biggest market. Why would that fish want to start off as a minnow to play in a smaller pond? And upset its very loyal and very large base while fighting for a smaller prize? The fact that Rolex gets by this well with really only two complicated movements (Sky Dweller and Daytona) and only one of them anyone really cares about says all you need to know about the value in getting complicated for Rolex.

If you want to see other sports brands who spend effort in HH, look at Panerai and Hublot. And look at how they've completely overtaken Rolex and have so much more respect than the crown . . .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Their focus definitely is not on finishing. The impression I get from people who like Rolex is that the primary draw comes from their reliability and durability, so presumably were they to expand, it would be in the 'Richard Mille' direction.
Cellini focus is most definitely on finishing. Those are some fine and dandy wristwatches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cellini focus is most definitely on finishing. Those are some fine and dandy wristwatches.
I'm not sure on this but I don't think the Cellini's movement is any better finished than other Rolexes. The Cellini Prince definitely has a nicely finished movement, but that's not in production.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm not sure on this but I don't think the Cellini's movement is any better finished than other Rolexes. The Cellini Prince definitely has a nicely finished movement, but that's not in production.
Directly from the Rolex webpage:

This collection combines the best of Rolex know-how and its high standards of perfection with an approach that heightens watchmaking heritage in its most timeless form. The lines of the Cellini models are sober and refined, the materials noble, the finishings luxurious: every detail respects the codes of the art of watchmaking

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Directly from the Rolex webpage:

This collection combines the best of Rolex know-how and its high standards of perfection with an approach that heightens watchmaking heritage in its most timeless form. The lines of the Cellini models are sober and refined, the materials noble, the finishings luxurious: every detail respects the codes of the art of watchmaking
Very nice advertising... vacuous but convincing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
LOL no

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
No, but that's a good thing. HH brands are increasingly turning to sport watches for profits. At least 1 of the Trinity was saved by introducing a Rolex competitor. Another sold themselves to a conglomerate.

PP and Rolex sit above the rest of the industry.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Depending on in what sense they sit on top, I'll either agree or disagree.

As watch companies. As standard bearers for the industry. Neither compromised by external pressures or ownership.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Despite a Rolex being my grail I don’t see them as a haute horology brand.
Which one?

Edit: Forgive me, Sticky. I didn't see this thread was resurrected from the dead.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
As watch companies. As standard bearers for the industry. Neither compromised by external pressures or ownership.
Not entirely true. They both opt to make the watches based on what they feel the market will buy (and at what price) as opposed to for pure artistic, or horological, or technological merits. Rolex hasn't shown any creative flair nor large technological steps in an eternity due to this. PP opts to sell minimally decorated movements in their lower tier pieces due to this, unlike ALS.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Not entirely true. They both opt to make the watches based on what they feel the market will buy (and at what price) as opposed to for pure artistic, or horological, or technological merits. Rolex hasn't shown any creative flair nor large technological steps in an eternity due to this. PP opts to sell minimally decorated movements in their lower tier pieces due to this, unlike ALS.

Yeah we will agree to disagree, as does the market. But thanks for your perspective!

81 - 100 of 122 Posts