WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They came out with a Limited Skeleton watch a couple of years ago, which was swiss made, with an ETA movement and saphire glass. I'd like to get my hands on one. Only 500 worldwide I think. :-(

Attachments

• 119.1 KB Views: 128,142

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was looking to purchase one last year, and just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Dreyfuss-same company as Rotary-I learned that they are basically a Chinese watch-but weren't advertised as being so. (Nothing wrong with watches made in China, as I have several, but I don't care for companies that misrepresent their technology and workmanship) <|

But they do have some pretty watches, with sapphire crystals. :think: Most of them I've seen have been in the 150 to 500 range.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was looking to purchase one last year, and just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Dreyfuss-same company as Rotary-I learned that they are basically a Chinese watch-but weren't advertised as being so. (Nothing wrong with watches made in China, as I have several, but I don't care for companies that misrepresent their technology and workmanship) <|

But they do have some pretty watches, with sapphire crystals. :think: Most of them I've seen have been in the 150 to 500 range.
I think Dreyfuss & co watches are the upmarket (midmarket) brand for Rotary. They claim to be Swiss and handmade, from their advertising & window displays. Interestingly however their dials read "Fabrique en Suisse", rather than in English "Swiss Made" which I understand is a legally protected term. Which would suggest that it is not really Swiss as legally defined...? :think:

They do look like very nice watches, with luxurious presentation boxes :-!However I have no experience of them & would be interested to read feedback comments from owners.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Where are the other Rotary watches made?

·
Registered
772 Posts
What is interesting about Rotary is that it is a brand with a long history dating back to the 19th century - and is still an independent company run by the founding family. As such it is a respected name with 'heritage' (which some consider important), although their watches are aimed mainly at the affordable, quartz market which of course is what most people buy. They also offer a lifetime warranty subject to approved servicing every 3 years. So yes my impression is that Rotary is a good, reputable, respected brand. :-!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I've seen lots of Rotary watches in the jewelers shops when visiting in the UK and I like them. Rotary seems to be a nice brand sort of like Bulova to me.

Reactions: ndrew3 and mla

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have also seen pre-quartz era Rotary watches, which look very nice & appear very well made.

In the UK they are a well known popular brand competing with the likes of Accurist, Sekonda, Pulsar, lower end Seiko & Citizen, in the affordable quartz sector. To be found in lower end jewellers, department stores and Argos. It's more upmarket brand Dreyfuss is sold in midmarket stores such as Ernest Jones, offering 'Swiss' 'hand made' (I am not sure to extent that is true) watches with 3-digit prices competing with affordable luxury brands such as the likes of midrange Seikos, Hamilton, Raymond Weil as well as midrange fashion brands such as Gucci.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have a Rotary and i quite like it.

bought it on the flight over to Barbados last year. SS, skeleton dial, manual wind on black leather - looks pretty cool imo.

have worn it a few times since and it is light and comfy - a pretty cool looking dressy watch imo too :-!

they are not expensive imo. i have no idea which other company it can compare to.

·
Registered
561 Posts
:think: The few that I've have handled, I would rank them with, Anne Kline.
"Anne Kline"...Ouch. Kinda like saying it's on a par with "Rolax":-d.

My dad wore a simple 3-hand manual Rotary from his teens to his sixties, only recently replacing it when the movement finally gave up the ghost (well, heck if I know, but I can't budge the crown in the winding position). Methinks I'll check it out again and see if I can't get a watchmaker to fix it up for him, or me...thanks for reminding me.

The Rotary models I've seen out and about recently are a bit different. I was tempted by a skeleton model - pretty - but upon close examination of the movement I think I would have been unhappy in the long run due to finishing issues. I feel the engraving, perhaps unjustly, looks like molding, with insufficient detail. This might be different on the LE.

Otherwise, why not? If you're lucky enough to get one that was put together by a particularly adept kid, you could end up with a great watch. And if not, I betcha they'd be good with CS about getting you a replacement.

·
Registered
43,370 Posts
:oops: I was a bit harsh, after thinking it over, Kenneth Cole.
"Anne Kline"...Ouch. Kinda like saying it's on a par with "Rolax":-d.

My dad wore a simple 3-hand manual Rotary from his teens to his sixties, only recently replacing it when the movement finally gave up the ghost (well, heck if I know, but I can't budge the crown in the winding position). Methinks I'll check it out again and see if I can't get a watchmaker to fix it up for him, or me...thanks for reminding me.

The Rotary models I've seen out and about recently are a bit different. I was tempted by a skeleton model - pretty - but upon close examination of the movement I think I would have been unhappy in the long run due to finishing issues. I feel the engraving, perhaps unjustly, looks like molding, with insufficient detail. This might be different on the LE.

Otherwise, why not? If you're lucky enough to get one that was put together by a particularly adept kid, you could end up with a great watch. And if not, I betcha they'd be good with CS about getting you a replacement.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That watch looks exactly like my Stuhrling Original 'Winchester' automatic. Movement is almost guaranteed to be out of China. Looks nice and ornate, but I'll bet, like my Winchester, the finishing isn't top-notch but might be acceptable depending on your standards.

That said, now that I think about it, Rotary and Sturhling are a good comparison these days. Both make nice but inexpensive watches with many, but not all, movements sourced out of Asia - well, for Sturhling they are probably almost all out of Asia; they are not always clear about where they get their parts and where their parts are assembled; their designs are actually very nice, but as for reliability, only the test of time will see; and they claim some Swiss heritage, which is more or less bogus for Stuhrling but not for Rotary, as Rotary watches were made in Switzerland for a long time, but now they are not exclusively so. The one thing about Rotary that would set it far above Stuhrling is the fact that some of their watches are still Swiss-made and are in fact very very nice (and they are anything but inexpensive), but as of late the majority of their products are probably sourced out of Chinese factories.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't like to post things negative, my words could come back to haunt me. However, my experience with Rotary ended with me throwing two manual winds in the canal close to where I live.
I had bought one very nice looking Rotary manual wind, 38mm, from an ebay seller in the UK. It was running about 10 seconds fast a day. I like to regulate my watches so they run not more than plus 2 seconds a day. It had a snap on back that I had to take to a watch shop to remove, even though my personal choice for a watch is a screw on back. So, anyway, I got this watch regulated to about plus 2 a day, but here is what frustrated me. Every time I wound it like once a day the time would jump ahead by 5 to 20 seconds. I took it to the watch repair shop and had it cleaned and checked out. After servicing it still jumped ahead when I wound it. Well, I liked the looks of this particular model so much that I bought one more from the same seller, I don't blame the seller though. This second Rotary acted the exact same way. Without my messing with and trying to get it regulated or anything, it also would jump ahead when I wound it. In a canal close to where I live I s%^* canned it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.