WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to buy a Seiko Velatura Automatic Chronograph SRQ001J1 from ebay for about $ 1700. But before spending such an amount of money I would like to hear your comments/recommendations. The MSRP price for this watch is $ 3800.

So guys, what do you think? Is this watch really worth $1700? What are my other options? What do you think about the quality? Any recommendations for another watch with similar functionality (can do without a chronograph as well but has to be automatic)?

Looking forward to quick replies! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just my personal opinion that if you dont have to have new you could get a clean Grand Seiko in 9S55 for close to the same money and you would not take the depreciation hit. Plus the hand-built Grand Seikos are in my opinion a lot more watch.

My dream Seiko is the SBGM001 9S56. Ive never seen a used one come up for sale though. Will likely give up and settle for something inferior like a Rolex Explorer II someday.

That said the SRQ is about as much watch as you can get for $1700 new and thats a good price based on what Ive seen. They only made 2,000 (unless they have made anothe run?) and they are not that easy to get. It is a pretty big watch at nearly 16mm thick and 47mm diameter though. Make sure that works for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The limited Edition should help raise prices in the future for this SRQ as it's an automatic movement from Seiko. They have not released an automatic chronograph for quite sometime now. :think:

The minty 6138 and 6139 movements are fetching good value these days so the LE SRQ should ultimately appreciate in value. :-!

Also, at more than 50% off the MRSP, it is a good thing as well, if you're in the market for such a watch.

I have to agree it is a BIG watch and looks rather intimidating, and has presence on anyone's wrist! Just be sure it's okay with you. Alternatives would be SBDX001 or a SUMO. These can be rather straight forward classic looking automatics and can stand they ground against time and wear!

Good luck with your purchases!

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's a fine watch with a fine movement. Column wheel chronograph, I believe.

I personally would rather the SBDS001 Flightmaster with the 6S37 but that's just a taste thing. The 8R28 is a newer movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts