WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It amazes me how many people ask that question, "is that a real rolex".
I was at a barbecue the other day with some friends and I pointed out to someone a mates rolex submariner that he was wearing, the person said its very nice, is it a real rolex?. Its not the first time ive heard it and everyone says it so i was just wondering how many of you rolex wearers out there find this a common thing too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes I get that, and depending on who the person is my answers range from a straightforward "Yes" to "No, I made it myself."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my friend in question just says its a fake i guess he dosent need to prove anyting to anyone, i dont own one as yet but im workin on my wife at the moment but i dont think i would like to hear it if was lucky enough to own one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yeah...got that many times...

Sometimes I say."Yes" or I just ignore the person...it's really insulting to ask that question

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It amazes me how many people ask that question, "is that a real rolex".
I was at a barbecue the other day with some friends and I pointed out to someone a mates rolex submariner that he was wearing, the person said its very nice, is it a real rolex?. Its not the first time ive heard it and everyone says it so i was just wondering how many of you rolex wearers out there find this a common thing too.
Par for the course in having one of the most copied watches in the world. Imitation is a sign of flattery!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I often got that answer too and i usually say yes i bought it on Canal street NY. But the last time it happened i was in a very fancy jewellery store watching some Diamonds (they dont sell watches in that place). It is true i wasnt in my best (just came from the park with my son, wearing jeans and a back bag... and no rings) The saleman begin to walk near me and saw my watch and said with some arrogance: OH and i suppose that is a true Rolex you're wearing here?" I was so surprise that i couldnt answer to him with the same arrogance ( that i am capable too when i want) and just said: Well i guess a connaisseur like you should know. I took off my Explorer II (my everyday watch) and let him look at it. He said: It is easy to see it is a fake, the one my friend have has some engravure under it!
I stayed nice and say well Sir, very few Rolexes have engravure under it and it would be old model or a special edition. He had that kind of smile meaning yes yes
So i just said : well i guess if i wear a fake rolex i am not the kind of custumer who would actually buy a diamond so i wont make you loose your time. And i left.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm amazed at the fact that I am so infrequently asked that question.
Come to think of it, I can't recall it either. Maybe 2-3 times in the last 10 years, "Is that a Rolex?""

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never had anyone ask if its a fake. Buy I have people say "nice watch", possibly wanting to take a closer look for inspection. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was asked once by a shoe sales man at Nordstrom if my Sub SS black was real,then I replied well, my wife gave to me for my Bday 8 years ago,then he said "well then it must be real".So I bought a pair of leather shoes from him.:-!

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've only had my sub for a few months but I've already been asked that a lot of times.
If it's someone I know or trust I tell them it's real. If I don't know/trust the person I tell them it's a fake. Simply because I don't want to invite a potential criminal.

Was saddenes me though is the insane number of fake Rolexes I've come across (ie. how often I spot them). Too many people have fake Rolexes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would turn it into a bet. Tell them you will accompany them to an AD, and if it is real, they have to pay for your next RSC service. If not, you will buy them a Sub.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You know, it's strange not one person has asked me that. Only one person has even asked me what it is and they were already talking about what they wanted anyway. I kind of avoided and told them it was a GMT and explained about the different time zones that I find handy, but they were smart enough to follow up and ask who makes that.

Just tell them it's not a fake, its a real watch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It depends if you are a loser or not...I was asked once "is that a real Rolex"? My response was..."Do you think I would ever buy or wear a fake Rolex"?...The person realized that there was no way I would ever be such a scumbag to wear a fake. My friend realized that I have far more class than to either buy or wear a fake...A fake Rolex shows such little class and lack of character, etc..Fake wearers are such losers......

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Re: Yep, I get that too. .... >

I was asked that once by a friend who now wears a gmt as a firearms instructor on a pistol range. Kinda weird. I would not wear an expensive watch in an environment like that. I suspected it was a fake, but I think I have to much tact to ask if it was a fake.

I chuckle when I hear people say "My ($4K) dollar Kobold tactical deployed with me to Iraq." I can tell you first hand, the "official" issue watch of many Spec Ops units is a G-Shock.

I usually say that it's a fake ... and they leave me alone.

;-)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: Yep, I get that too. .... >

I was asked that once by a friend who now wears a gmt as a firearms instructor on a pistol range. Kinda weird. I would not wear an expensive watch in an environment like that. I suspected it was a fake, but I think I have to much tact to ask if it was a fake.

I chuckle when I hear people say "My ($4K) dollar Kobold tactical deployed with me to Iraq." I can tell you first hand, the "official" issue watch of many Spec Ops units is a G-Shock.
I'm a SWAT operator and firearms instructor and always wear either my GMT Master II or Sub/Date while working. In the 4 or so years I've had them I've only had two incidents of damage. While making entry into a house on a SWAT warrant I hit the doorframe hard and broke the bezel detent spring on the Sub. Since that day I now turn the watch to the inside of my wrist and wear a sweatband over it when actually making entries.

The second incident occurred last week. I happened to be right around the block when a Fire Department call came out for a truck on fire. Well, the truck was a electric company utility bucket truck with the worker trapped in the extended boom about 30 feet in the air with the truck on fire below him. When the first fire unit arrived I was assisting in getting a hose line out and somehow the hose fitting caught my Sub and the bezel was popped off. I felt it happen but I was unable to look for it because the rescue was a little more important. Fortunately a few minutes later I was able to actually find the bezel in the dirt. Unfortunately I never found the detent spring or the round washer type spring that goes underneath. This repair cost me $50. Oh well, if you can't wear a tool watch at work what good is it? I actually like my watches all scratched up- it gives them character. My next watch will be a Kobold Phantom Tactical and I'll wear that too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wow...Maybe a letter to the RSC or AD explaining that you broke your bezel while saving someone's life...(on a regular basis) and who knows, good PR if they give you a $$ break on rehab for it. Keep up the good work and be safe.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts