WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in getting a pilots watch. The Alpina Pilot looks cool and I can get it for around $900. I really like pilots watches and I think this one is nice. What do you guys think, Is there something a little more in price thats better? Any advice would be appreciated. AND NO!! I CANNOT AFFORD THE IWC BIG PILOT, $1200 IS AS HIGH AS I WOULD GO
THANKS,

JOSH

alpina_AL-525B4S6.jpg AL-525B4S620(3).jpg

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Alpina, and it's sister company Frederique Constant, offer great bang for the buck. You can't go wrong on the value end of spectrum with Alpina, when it comes to Pilot watches. I have one of their manufacture pilot watches, and it should be selling for 3X what they charge for it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I prefer 24 hour dials for true pilots watches. But thats just me.

The alpina is nice though. I would take a look at the steinhart pilots though. Theyre quite nice also and probably a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is it that makes these pilot watches? I always assumed that a pilot watch was something with an E-6B on the bezel.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is it that makes these pilot watches? I always assumed that a pilot watch was something with an E-6B on the bezel.
These are modeled after the watches issued to pilots in WW II or thereabouts. This page has info if you care to dig deeper into the subject. Also search on "B Uhr", "fliegeruhr" or "German Pilot Watch" for more info. (Uhr is German for "watch", "flieger" is "flier" or "pilot.")

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'd go for a Stowa or Laco and get some legit history to go along with the look.

Or, get a sterile dial Archimede and pocket the change.

Edit: this is bunk. Look on the next page to see that Alpina has the history too.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I'd go for a Stowa or Laco and get some legit history to go along with the look.
Huh????

Alpina has more legit history than either Stowa or Laco, having been in continuous operation since 1883 as well as being a supplier of watches, such as this one, to the German Luftwaffe in WWII. In fact, Laco used Alpina movements in some of its watches in its early years (late 20's - early 30's). Alpina has a long and respected pedigree, and in recent years was purchased by Frederique Constant which is in the process of revitalizing the company, although it seems they will focus on the value end of the spectrum rather than Alpina's former high-end position in the market.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Huh????

Alpina has more legit history than either Stowa or Laco, having been in continuous operation since 1883 as well as being a supplier of watches, such as this one, to the German Luftwaffe in WWII. In fact, Laco used Alpina movements in some of its watches in its early years (late 20's - early 30's). Alpina has a long and respected pedigree, and in recent years was purchased by Frederique Constant which is in the process of revitalizing the company, although it seems they will focus on the value end of the spectrum rather than Alpina's former high-end position in the market.
Many are not aware of the rich horological history of the Alpina name - I totally concur with your comments about the heritage of Alpina watches! When I saw the first issues of the re-newed production of Alpina watches about 6-8 ago, I really liked their "not like all the rest" Startimer designs but the expense of the automatics only production put me off. Then within the past couple of years, they brought out quartz models but the designs didn't do much for me. The most recent pilot oriented designs, both quartz and automatic, seem to hit all the marks quite nicely for authenticity. Hence, my most recent purchase of a Startimer quartz big-date pilot chrono.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input, I was able to steal this new at a great price. Decided it was more watch for the money!!!

·
Premium Member
36,310 Posts
I have the Startimer Chrono version and it is very well built and keeps excellent time. It does wear as big if not bigger than 44mm, if that is an issue for you.

Otherwise it is a great watch.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Huh????

Wow. Today I learned something pretty big.

Thanks for the info. Will remember that in the future.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
In my defense, the logo looks like an early 80's font. Having one of the worst Baldwin brothers be their spokesmodel sealed the deal to make me skeptical.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's a nice looking watch! I wouldn't mind buying that at $900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts