WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the Frogman watch series is increasing in price.
I have a few 8200s and GW-200s and I'm wondering if I should hang onto them or buy more. Will they increase in value?

I seem to remember 2 or 3 years ago, the 8200s on Ebay were selling cheap. Now they really seem to go for a lot. I bought my (slightly used) 8200 in Japan for only 10,000 yen (about $100) in 2000. Seems I was really lucky and got a cheap price.

So, I guess the main question is "will they increase in value?" Or are they just a 'plastic watch' that will drop in value year by year as Casio releases new models with better technology?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a feeling the prices of Frogmans are reaching their peak the past few months (around the release of the Black Dawn Frogman?), and maybe will go even higher when Casio is no longer producing Frogmans, but it is really hard to predict the price trend.;-) If Casio decides to make a new Frogman model next year that looks way better than its predecessors, the price of previous models might just drop, but it's just my take anyway.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been watching the prices on auction pretty closely as I'm looking for a cheap 8200. They've steadily risen over the past two months but I think/hope they've peaked now. They couldn't go much higher, could they ? At least not for used models anyway. 300-400 for used 8200's, with wear and fading, is too much imho.
All depends on whether they keep selling for those prices I guess and whether new models are released as watchluver mentioned. I must admit, I've been tempted to sell my Triple Crown, which I paid 180 for second hand, for a tidy profit. ;-)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wouldn't spend more than £150 on a Frogman, after that price you can simply buy better quality watches from other brands.

Unless of course your after a rare collection piece.

·
Banned
731 Posts
I wouldn't spend more than £150 on a Frogman, after that price you can simply buy better quality watches from other brands.

Unless of course your after a rare collection piece.

Yes, I share the same thoughts as you. I rather get a Seiko Orange Monster than pay that high price. In fact, I am tempted to get one from local dealer :p

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Indeed, if I had to choose between my Frogman or Orange Monster, the Monster would win every time. So much watch for the money!

Although maybe someone will build the watch in my avatar and I'll have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Unless you're a collector, wouldn't you be better off getting a GW-9100 (they look far better imho as well)?

I'm with you guys...you can get much better watches for those prices.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I haven't been around long enough to know what the market is doing... but as a prospective owner I can tell you that I wouldn't pay more than the current prices. Infact, I wouldn't even spend $200 on a new Frog right now because I would rather save the money and buy a solar atomic Frog when they release it.

- Chad

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The prices for the frogmans are very unstable and will drop during certain months. Now you see a brazilian going for USD500-USD800+, the next moment it can't even sell at USD400.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm asking this because I'm thinking about buying as many of the 8200 and GW200 series as I can. I figured that in a year or 2 they will be very hard to find. Is this a crazy idea?
Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I look at the Frogman and, apart from the titanium case, I can't understand why they're so much more money than the rest of the G-Shock line. I think they're cool and all but there's absolutely no way I'd spend $250-400usd on one. I think the price is way over-inflated for what you get. If all G's were priced like the Frogman I wouldn't own any and I'm glad that's not the case because I love 'em!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm asking this because I'm thinking about buying as many of the 8200 and GW200 series as I can. I figured that in a year or 2 they will be very hard to find. Is this a crazy idea?
Thanks for your comments!
Well, the 8200's ran from 1995 to 1999 and about 25 models were released so I'd imagine there'd be quite of few of them still around. The 200's started about 2001 and there's been about 15 models released so far.

Bearing in mind that eventually any model will be scarce and valuable ( eg first 10 G-Shocks ) I guess it would be a sound investment as long as you're prepared to wait 10+ years for them to become vintage collectibles. Even then, you'd have to hope that they are highly sought after.
I think I'd rather invest in stocks if I was that way inclined. ;-)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, the 8200's ran from 1995 to 1999 and about 25 models were released so I'd imagine there'd be quite of few of them still around. The 200's started about 2001 and there's been about 15 models released so far.

Bearing in mind that eventually any model will be scarce and valuable ( eg first 10 G-Shocks ) I guess it would be a sound investment as long as you're prepared to wait 10+ years for them to become vintage collectibles. Even then, you'd have to hope that they are highly sought after.
I think I'd rather invest in stocks if I was that way inclined. ;-)
i agree with kim. buy them if you enjoy wearing or collecting them. if the prices go up and you make a profit when you sell them, then good for you.

but don't bet on them making great investments. :-!

·
Registered
274 Posts
i agree with kim. buy them if you enjoy wearing or collecting them. if the prices go up and you make a profit when you sell them, then good for you.

but don't bet on them making great investments. :-!
same here, there's something money can't buy, and that is great satisfaction from looking at your favourite G's:-!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, sounds like good advice. I won't buy them as investments, but rather just to enjoy. Or I can give them as gifts to family or friends if I'm so inclined.

It just seems strange that the prices over the last while seem to have gone through the roof. I mean 3 or 4 years ago, it seemed that when I check prices on Ebay, they were cheap. And when I bought my 8200 Frogman in Japan in 2000 at a second hand shop (watch was new), it was only $100 CAN!! The shop was selling quite a few at low prices but I only bought one because I thought "What a weird watch" and didn't really like it so much. I've hardly ever seen one EVER sell at such a low price since.

I guess it seemed like prices were going sky-high because they were really quite rare. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the thing is the frogmans once discontinued, are no longer produced and available and become rarer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts