WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the G-Shock Riseman 10 years ago, great watch. But I got the Protrek PRG270B-1 because it stays in the barometer mode for 2 hours unlike the 4 minutes on the Riseman, and it also has a barometric alarm. My question is, is the G-Shock GBD-H1000 worth getting as an ABC? Is the Bluetooth modifications worth getting during a storm as an update?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No one can really say if it’s “worth” getting, as that’s very personal and subjective. However, if your main concern is ABC functions, I’d be more inclined to just stick with a good solar/MB6 Protrek. I don’t have any experience with the 1000, and I haven’t heard much about it so far (real world). It seems more geared toward the fitness market, perhaps to compete with Garmin, Fitbit, Apple, etc... Ultimately, I guess it’s up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Nope. If you want BT enabled there is Protrek for that. It's not solar bit (220$-380$ vs 400$) less expensive and comes with variety of dedicated functionality.
If you drop BT things like Casio 3000/300 (smaller), Suunto or Garmin are far better choices.
If you just want occasionally to know altitude, magnetic north and temperature... it's all fine.
ABC comes with advanced logging and if you need it choose appropriate tool.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the old but gold altimeter question :)

as rocket said, if serious use, no way around some real tool. that altimeter from casio wristwatches or watches at all using barometric pressure are a pain for regular use and 99% unreliable. they are more of a shorttime backup toy, harshly said. need to adjust them more often than anything. even the compass will fail and u wont notice it, unless u know the direction or double check with the sun/polaris.
since i used a prw-3000 in the alps and gw-9400 in the woods, i lost faith in this completely. id go for a watch with gps measurement.

of course there seem to be places on earth, where users never change altitudes and the weather makes no big jumps at all. then barom. press. might work for some days.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My vote is the GBD-H1000 is way too big unless you want or need the majority of the specific unique features.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I got the G-Shock Riseman 10 years ago, great watch. But I got the Protrek PRG270B-1 because it stays in the barometer mode for 2 hours unlike the 4 minutes on the Riseman, and it also has a barometric alarm. My question is, is the G-Shock GBD-H1000 worth getting as an ABC? Is the Bluetooth modifications worth getting during a storm as an update?
I think the GBD-H1000 is a great ABC watch. It's a big watch, but if you already have a PRG270B, then why buy another small watch? You get solar plus GPS, altimeter, compass, continuous HRM, temp, basic notifications, pedometer, vibration, and the usual watch functions.

IIRC you get 1 hour barometric pressure reading, 5s/measurement for the first 3 minutes, 2min/measurement until 1 hour. I don't know if there's an alarm.

I have no idea what the bluetooth would provide you in a storm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts