WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting for a Pro Trek from Casio in that form factor, with heart rate, GPS, activity metrics, ABC, Etc. .. not considering the massive WSD F20. Turns out Garmin beat Casio to it.

I have been happy with it so far. Besides the usual Garmin feature goodies, the B/W screen is super visible when in sun light without backlight. Battery lasts two weeks.

What do fellow Casio fans think about this competition for $300?

IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg IMG_4658.jpg
IMG_4665.jpg IMG_4664.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4661.jpg
IMG_4659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I agree, it's a direct competition for ABC Protreks. Is lacks maps though, so the smart Protreks have and advantage. It also lacks the solar charging of the RangeBeast. The $300 price tag is sweet, you don't get a GPS Casio for that much. Form factor is better, cool factor is worse, and I trust the reputation of Casio better than claims by Garmin. Never owned a device from them but plenty of broken watches at acquaintances.

So, in my opinion, it is a poor man's RangeBeast.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Sorry, but to me the Instinct is way too basic and cheap looking. I guess Garmin was trying to make a simple and cool looking watch, but ended up instead with something that looks like one of those $15 look alike smart watches.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Looks for me are as important as functionality............so IMO no.

[Casios' looks are my idea of a tough watch..........and Garmin cannot hold a candle in that department]

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
What I don’t understand about Instinct is why the display doesn’t go all the way to edge of bezel, rather leaving a lot of empty spaces in odd shape around it? It’s not for solar panels for sure so seems to me a lot of good real estate wasted.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
i'm tempted to get this, but i'm also tempted by the protrek wsd-f30 thats coming out jan 2019...so i'll probably just not get anything :p

btw, for the sunrise / sunset...i'm guessing there are no options for say civil or nautical?

What I don’t understand about Instinct is why the display doesn’t go all the way to edge of bezel, rather leaving a lot of empty spaces in odd shape around it? It’s not for solar panels for sure so seems to me a lot of good real estate wasted.
usually its where garmin places the gps antennaes.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Garmin is enlarging the offer, big range in prices, value received from customers, features, for men and women, for professional and everyday use, the battery life is one of the best improvements, display readability, sensors precision. Garmin is the best meeting for sport smart and ABC watches. The smartphone application is simply perfect, compared with Casio Suunto Polar, notifications library is complete 100 %,.
I compare this INSTINCT with the Rangeman, first and last edition, Protrek digital, and I do not find technical reasons to prefer CASIO.
Garmin is opening the offer, Casio is pushing to metal watches, analog top quality market, not focused in smartwatch...
The Instinct will drop to 250 € online, difficult to resist.

I'm using two Garmin, Fenix 5, model 2017, battery life 8 days, Fenix 5X Plus duration 25 days, no competition is possible against Garmin. Range 450-850 €.
You can prefer G-Shock style, but if the focus is on features, the winner is only one.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I love the Old School black and white screen of the Instinct.
Just wait for Gérard Butler to wear it and it will be a success.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The Instinct is a good watch for its price point. After playing with it for awhile, I believe it’s more so attacking the Suunto line, more than Casio. I’ve played with it extensively and the GUI is easy to maneuver. The one question I keep coming back to was the long term wear and tear. Will the fiberglass bezel hold up. I’ll be interested seeing where this watch is 1 year from now.

I have the Descent MK1 and this wasn’t enough to make me want to switch. But if I didn’t have this watch or previous experience with the Fenix lineup, then I would have switched over to the Instinct.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If only this instinct would have come with solar power... I still can't stomach charging a watch

I guess I'll hold up for some more of that GBR-1000 tech to end up in watches I can wear on my 6.5" wrists :)

Reactions: Dbltap22 and Eric.S

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They differ by 57 seconds. Which is correct?
Ha, the Garmin is correct I am afraid. In Boston I have not had much luck receiving the radio signal for the Casio and have been lazy adjusting the watch manually ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If only this instinct would have come with solar power... I still can't stomach charging a watch

I guess I'll hold up for some more of that GBR-1000 tech to end up in watches I can wear on my 6.5" wrists :)
Depending on your usage, you’ll have to charge the watch every 1-2 weeks for about an hour.

That definitely is a bigger inconvenience than charging your rectangular device every night

On a serious note though, I understand the want for solar. So I solved that problem and wear 2:

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
How's durability (shock, water, temperature, etc.) compared to the G?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Garmin is exposed to damage because the bezel is flat and metal, the glass not protected if mineral, the band is in silicon, less resistant to the abrasion, but you can change with 15 dollars or 40 OEM...
I suppose other element are not dangerous

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Depending on your usage, you’ll have to charge the watch every 1-2 weeks for about an hour.

That definitely is a bigger inconvenience than charging your rectangular device every night

On a serious note though, I understand the want for solar. So I solved that problem and wear 2:

Ah you have kept your beautiful Tissot !! :)

Are you a "double wrister" now ?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts