WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of significantly reducing the size of my collection. My plan has been to reduce my collection from over 30 down to no more than 12. There were several reasons for doing this, but one of them was to get a higher end piece that would get a lot more wear in a much smaller rotation of watches.

The watch I have been eyeing is a VC Overseas. Lucky for me, I want the 4500v with a silver dial and not the blue. So, I can actually get one at retail. The watch is not inexpensive, but I can certainly get one (especially now that I’ve sold a number of my watches).

In looking into the Overseas though, I have seen a number of blogs, articles, etc. compare the GP Laureato favorably to the Overseas. Some even go so far as to suggesting that the GP is a better value than the Overseas. I must admit, the Laureato is certainly much less expensive. I also like the clos de Paris dial on the Laureato. The two watches also have somewhat similar movements, and integrated bracelets.

So, obviously the fit and finish on the Overseas will likely be better than the Laureato, but any other aspects of the Overseas that make it so much better? Does anyone have hands on experience with both of these watches? I’d be curious to hear others thoughts about both watches and whether they are in fact comparable.

Also, photos of both are below (borrowed from the internet).

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Finger

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I haven't seen these two compared before. I've seen the GP Laureato and the APRO compared.

I have to be honest, I don't get the fascination with the Overseas, at any color. It'd be an easy choice for me. The fact that the GP is less expensive by a pretty large margin is a bonus. I've held the GP, it is amazing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen these two compared before. I've seen the GP Laureato and the APRO compared.

I have to be honest, I don't get the fascination with the Overseas, at any color. It'd be an easy choice for me. The fact that the GP is less expensive by a pretty large margin is a bonus. I've held the GP, it is amazing.
I think that is the more obvious comparison, since the Laureato was created in response to the APRO, but I’ve seen several comparing the Overseas to the Laureato as well. I imagine it’s the bezel and integrated bracelet that make them somewhat comparable.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
It sounds like the watch you really want is the VC. Do not settle for anything else or you will regret not getting the right watch.
The overseas is a gorgeous watch, go for it!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Doxa 300 T pro
326 Posts
I personally think the GP Laureato blue face is the one watch to rule them all. It fits every occasion.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I love my VCO 4500, I've considered a ceramic Laureato but haven't 'pulled the trigger'

·
Registered
653 Posts
You will answer your own questions the second you try on the VC….gorgeous and superlative is the best I can describe it. I personally place it tied for 2nd place with the AP Royal Oak…behind the holy grail Patek 5711 👑

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
VC is better, it just is

its just “cool” to hate on any sports watches that cant be had for retail anymore and majority is always gon pick the alternative but its VC and always gon be VC

·
Registered
219 Posts
eh, they’re both “also ran” options in this style of watches

here’s a golden rule:

if you’re torn between the two, get the cheaper one.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
VC has much more name recognition and prestige. No non-watch enthusiasts have heard of GP. How much that matters to you is your call.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Both designs are a little dated, but I think the VC bezel comes out far worse than whatever AP cues the GP has.

As for finishing, no real difference. I would go with the GP, but in full ceramic or titanium.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Haute Horology is lost on sports watches in my opinion. If you want some piece of art on your wrist then get something elegant and dressier.

A HH sports watch is an oxymoron at this point in time. Once the teenage influencers with their parent's money transition to something else these pieces will be back to 30% discounts.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
One thing I've learned about those who get horny over Genta is they are very particular about which Genta they get horny about. I would not go into the GP or VC based on which is the better deal, which is better finished, which of the other horny Genta fans like. You just need to go into the store, try them out, and decide on your own.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You have come up with the 2 watches that would both be very high on my want list.
The GP may well be the next significant watch I buy, and the VCO 4500V is my ultimate fantasy watch. I haven't handled either, and I suspect I would not be disappointed if I did, but for me they are totally different buying decisions.
The GP is just about reachable, and the VC was right on the very edge of what might be possible some day (before they starting rocketing off in price in the grey market).
I guess I don't have much to offer this particular debate, other than I think they are both great looking watches in their own right.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Maybe I’m reading something into it, but I get the impression from the tone of your post that you really want the VC. The GP is gorgeous, but if you feel you’re “settling,” would you be happy? The GP may be less expensive, but it’s still a lot of money not to be 100% happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They both used to be so affordable... then youtube influencers happened, now neither one is worth the money the bring.
This is incredibly frustrating. The increase in price for so many "desirable" watches over the last couple of years is somewhat shocking. The VC, for example, is substantially more expensive to purchase now than it was even 18 months ago.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts