WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What I purchased: CEM75002D Orient Men's Blue Mako XL Automatic Dive Watch

Why I purchased: After spending some time on the WUS Orient forum and seeing an image of a beautiful Blue Mako XL on a blue NATO strap I decided it was time for me to see what all the fuss was about. At an entry price of $139.00 it was an easy (dare I say impulsive?) decision.

Preliminary Verdict: Despite its drawbacks I like this watch enough to keep it and see if it gets any significant wrist time. Will the Mako XL become the Tim Tebow of my watch collection or is it destined for wrist wearing greatness? Time will tell. I’ll either have a welcome addition in my rotation or a lucky WUSer is going to get a good deal on a lightly used Blue Mako XL.

What I like:
  • 44.5mm case size. This is the perfect size watch for me. I have a 7” wrist and have a preference for larger (44-46mm) watches.
  • Nice proportions (32mm dial OD, 44.5mm bezel OD). I wish my Black Monster had these proportions. That extra 2mm makes a huge visual difference.
  • Beautiful blue dial and bezel that change hue depending on how the light hits them.
  • It’s a great looking watch.
  • Looks more like a dressy sport watch than a diver. This is also a negative for me as I tend to prefer basic, bold dive watches.
  • No bezel pip. I like the clean look of the bezel without it.
  • The bracelet, while not the best quality, is very comfortable once properly adjusted.
  • Seems to be keeping really good time.
What I don’t like:
  • My watch has a defect on the 2 o’clock marker (2-3mm fiber/hair stuck to marker, see photo). It’s not obvious with the naked eye but a glaring defect under a 3.5x loupe. It should not have passed QC.
  • Hollow end links.
  • Weak lume. I was aware of this issue when purchasing but it is worse than I expected. If I decide to keep the watch I’ll get it relumed and fix the marker defect at the same time.
  • 60 click bezel. This doesn’t bother me that much but it does detract from the overall tactile experience of the watch.
  • Gimmicky Day change button.
  • Day and Date don’t line up (see photo).
Not too shabby...

017.JPG

QC sleeping on the job, hair/fiber stuck on the 2 o'clock marker...

005.JPG

·
Registered
519 Posts
Unusual that hair in the dial, I've not seen such a problem in any of my 11 orients. The date line up problem is also odd. Can u send it back for exchange?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
it is a great watch, but you said it yourself.......entry level
if you have to look for defects under a loupe.....there are no defects

·
Registered
560 Posts
Received my Mako XL today as a Christmas gift in the blue dial configuration. So far I am very pleased. The watch doesn't have quite the heft of some other divers I own, such as the Seiko SKZ series (kinetic). But I like the look and overall feel of the watch. Owning an automatic watch is important to me, and even an "entry level" diver like the Make XL makes it special. You are right, the lume is not a great feature of the watch. But, it's not a huge detriment, either. I rarely have to rely on the lume of a watch to read the time. I anticipate getting another Orient soon, probably the cream-dialed Defender. I'll be interested to see how the watch holds up to day to day wearing. I expect that it is going to show some marks, and I do have concerns about the strength of the mineral crystal. But I think owning a well put together watch for under $180 (didn't get quite the same deal) is something to feel good about.

Sizing the watch was very easy. I have to compliment Orient on their bracelets, and how easy the pins were removed and replaced. I have some struggles with other watch brands, but the Orient was easy to manipulate and size.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been wearing the watch and it is growing on me. It is keeping amazing time (+20 seconds over 5 days) and I really like the way it looks and feels on my wrist.

I think I am going to like this watch more as time goes on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts