WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am awaiting and foreseeing the new Speedy as many of us watch enthusiasts. And I guess it is no surprise that there is a rumor floating around, that the new model has sharp edges. As well for the bracelet.
But there is no clear statement really. Some say the new model ia really sharp, others say there is a fine filling between the meeting surfaces on the case sides for instance. And its about the same as the previous model, or even better.
I haven't neither held it in my hands nor seen it in real life. Therefore I am curious on your impressions, you that already have gotten it.

What do you think? Is it sharp or not? And what about the bracelet?

I have a BB58 which in my opionion suffers somewhat from the same(?) problem. The lugs end up in a sharp edge. That sharp that I found it necessary to give them a slight "deburr", by adding a small chamfer. You might call it a broken edge.

Anyone having the possibility to take a couple of macro shots on the case and bracelet edges? I get a feeling there can be some variations thanks to tolerances maybe.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Good question. I did a brief search 2 days ago but couldn't find a definitive answer. Some YouTubers out there say yes, but that was just one I watched. Once these start filtering into the majority of the ADs, we'll all be able to give an opinion.
But....
This is one of the reasons we have WUS and all the other watch forums out there. Gaining knowledge to give us things to look out for when we have that opportunity to see it in the metal and on the wrist!

-Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have tried on the new speedy hesalite at my local Omega boutique and I was very unimpressed by the bracelet. It did scratch and scrape against my skin; the edges were sharp. I was so focused on my dislike for the bracelet that I didn't pay close enough attention to the watch head for sharpe edges there as well. At this point, I would say I prefer my 1861 Speedy with one exception - the new dial on the 3861 is very nice.

·
Registered
Grand Seiko
63 Posts
I'v heard this as well from others. Wondering if it is true. Some say that the bracelet is a huge upgrade while others are saying it is sharp against the skin

·
Registered
108 Posts
The new bracelet is indeed a bit sharp against your wrist, but not to a degree I would describe as uncomfortable. When it isn't pulling out your hairs, it is pretty comfortable on your wrist.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The answer is yes. There are parts of the 2021 case and bracelet that are unreasonably sharp. What the hell was Omega thinking and how did this pass quality control?

Hey folks, check out this thread I posted about the new bracelet which is part of the problem: Speedy Experts: Tell me about the 1116 bracelet that...

As you can see per the photos at the link above, the new bracelet appears to be a replica of the 1116 bracelet of the late 1960s / early 1970s. While many of the Speedies during this period came on the flat link 1039 bracelet, the 1116, in contrast, has round links.

First, I must say the new 1116 bracelet and 1969 clasp homage look superb. The solid endlinks articulate instead of goofily extending the span of the case like on the "old" outgoing 1998 bracelet. The articulating end links make the new bracelet beautifully drape and conform to the wrist. And the new bracelet has a classic 20mm - 15mm taper like the vintage models. So far so good.

But the problem with the new 2021 Omega 1116 replica bracelet that comes on the new Hesalite and Sapphire models is that each center link is slightly raised in relation to the design cutaway on the interior of the side links to create the polished (or brushed) design flourish slivers. (The slivers on Sapphire are polished, and the Hesalite is brushed.)

When you slide the bracelet on an off the center links are abrasive to skin and hair due to sitting higher than the two side links. It's not going to slice up your wrist, but it's annoying as hell.

Now, I don't have a vintage 1968 - 1972 era 1116 bracelet; therefore, I don't know if the original 1116 bracelets always felt this way (abrasive). I've owned an 1171 bracelet and it was not abrasive.

What Omega should have done with the new 1116 replica bracelet is to make the interior of the bracelet that touches your wrist flat and smooth --- just like the superb new 1039 replica bracelet found on the Apollo 11 50th watch. In other words, Omega could have made the exterior of the 1116 links that face outward round to emulate the original 1116, but make the interior of this bracelet flat so it does NOT cause abrasion.

There are also bits (e.g. interior lugs) on the case of the new Speedmaster that seem unreasonably sharp and could puncture your finger if you apply enough pressure. It may not be very likely for this to happen, but the edges should not be this sharp in the first place.

I'd like to understand how this happened and what Omega intends to do about this. Will they be revising production of future bracelets and Speedies to correct the bracelet abrasion and sharp lug issues? If Omega revises the watches and bracelets, then the resale value of the first iteration of this generation goes in the toilet.

And if so, what happens to the early adopters who already purchased the early production "abrasive models?" Do they get replacement watches and bracelets under warranty? Or do they get screwed by Omega? Do they have to send in their original "abrasive models" and do without them for weeks or months while Omega sands them down with a grinder?

Considering Omega built in a price hike on the new 2021 Speedy generation, the abrasion problem appears to show poor Omega management, poor production and poor quality control. This shouldn't be happening on a legacy luxury timepiece, much less one with an Omega price hike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Disappointing if it hasn’t been exaggerated. I was set to get the new bracelet but perhaps I’ll have to try one of the new models on prior to purchasing it. I have always found omega bracelets to be some of the most comfortable on the market so this is really surprising.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Watched the video and he provided some good insight into the bracelet issue. That being said I’m in the camp who find the 1861 bracelet very comfortable albeit a bit heavy and not the best looking bracelet for the watch.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Agree. The outgoing 1998 bracelet overwhelms the watch head. Not enough taper on the 1998 to synergistically integrate with the Speedy’s design, and the projecting solid end links artificially inflate the lug to lug span.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Disappointing if it hasn’t been exaggerated. I was set to get the new bracelet but perhaps I’ll have to try one of the new models on prior to purchasing it. I have always found omega bracelets to be some of the most comfortable on the market so this is really surprising.
Don’t take my word for it. Visit an Omega Boutique and slide the watch on and off your arm several times. You’ll experience hair pulling and skin abrasion.

I think the new 1116 bracelet replica issue (lack of smooth inward facing links contacting the wrist) is the primary culprit causing the abrasive discomfort.

I don’t really notice the sharpness on the watch head unless I squeeze the interior facing lug corners.

The easiest and quickest way for Omega to fix the abrasive bracelet issue is to furnish each watch with their current existing reissue of the 1039 flat link bracelet sold with the Apollo 11 50th. The new 1039 bracelet slides across the wrist like butter and is a joy to wear.

By the way, where is Omega making the abrasive new 1116 bracelet that comes standard on the 2021 Speedies? Is the 1116 made in China? I’ve heard that Omega has outsourced production of some bracelets to China...Maybe Omega’s bracelet supplier is cutting corners on finishing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OMG finally! Thank you for this thread! I have been getting besieged on other forums by fanboy deniers that continue to pretend there is no problem!

I have both 1861 and 3861 hesalite models and the new watch is SHARP! It’s not a razor blade, but the bottom of the case edges and the lugs (especially the inside edge and point of the lugs) are easily sharp enough to cut fruit or maybe even slice a tomato.

I have to wonder what in the hell was omega thinking? The finishing on these surfaces (and the edges of the bracelet) is downright cheap.

Someone will jump in probably with some ridiculous b.s. about how this isn’t a problem or isn’t a cost cutting measure.

The watch is sharp...as in 50 dollar alibaba Chinese submariner homage sharp (or worse).

What I want to know is, did omega do this purposefully? Or are some watches missing final finishing and are sharp while others are not?

Mine is a very early watch, I would guess one of the very first sold in the USA.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. As others have said, it’s a tragedy because it looks amazing with the deep black dial.

I hope Omega resolves this ASAP.

-Freq

·
Registered
752 Posts
Does Omega (Swatch) customer care post here? Or do they just lurk?

They probably won’t do anything unless the issue gets amplified on social media and enough folks complain.

Overall, the new Speedy is a really nice update of the timepiece, but the fit and finish issues (especially their new abrasive 1116 style bracelet) need to be addressed ASAP.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've tried the 3861 at the OB, and didn't notice any discomfort. The same happened with the SMP300 Diver, the new iteration has sharper edges on the bracelet compared to the old one, and has been described by some to be uncomfortable... I have no issue with mine. 🤔

·
Registered
752 Posts
To be clear, the bracelet is not uncomfortable when buckled to the wrist. The discomfort is when sliding it on and off. The interior links pull hair and are abrasive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was all set to pick up the new Speedy. I love the Master Chronometer Certification and the new bracelet seems like it might fit my wrist better. But after seeing youtubers talk about it and reading articles on it, I'll wait. If this is true it is not acceptable!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts