WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
These images illustrate the problem I have observed first-hand with the new 2021 Speedies:

View attachment 15712364

View attachment 15712365

View attachment 15712367
This is exactly what I wanted o know. Thanks.
But the message is bitter. I have been looking forward to this release for a while now, and as you have noticed this issue, so will I.
Don't like bracelets or watch heads that brings discomfort. Starting with minor mods on a new watch is not the right way to go.
This should be done properly from the factory.
Would be interesting to see if this issue is still on the bigger volume of watches. At least the ADs in Sweden won't get any until end March/early April. If this is noticed by the mother ship, there still is time to fix it. What's needed must be an easy fix in the production line if they intend to solve it.

Registered
I've tried the 3861 at the OB, and didn't notice any discomfort. The same happened with the SMP300 Diver, the new iteration has sharper edges on the bracelet compared to the old one, and has been described by some to be uncomfortable... I have no issue with mine. 馃

View attachment 15712830 View attachment 15712831
The SMP is super smooth in comparison.

Some people report not noticing this - I really wonder if it鈥檚 only an issue on some of the watches, or maybe the dealer plastics are masking it when people try them on?

It鈥檚 quite unfortunate because the look of the new bracelet (and the end link design, 90 degree bracelet drape) and the new deeper black step down dial are just great and a huge upgrade.

-Freq

Registered
OMG finally! Thank you for this thread! I have been getting besieged on other forums by fanboy deniers that continue to pretend there is no problem!

I have both 1861 and 3861 hesalite models and the new watch is SHARP! It鈥檚 not a razor blade, but the bottom of the case edges and the lugs (especially the inside edge and point of the lugs) are easily sharp enough to cut fruit or maybe even slice a tomato.

I have to wonder what in the hell was omega thinking? The finishing on these surfaces (and the edges of the bracelet) is downright cheap.

Someone will jump in probably with some ridiculous b.s. about how this isn鈥檛 a problem or isn鈥檛 a cost cutting measure.

The watch is sharp...as in 50 dollar alibaba Chinese submariner homage sharp (or worse).

What I want to know is, did omega do this purposefully? Or are some watches missing final finishing and are sharp while others are not?

Mine is a very early watch, I would guess one of the very first sold in the USA.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. As others have said, it鈥檚 a tragedy because it looks amazing with the deep black dial.

I hope Omega resolves this ASAP.

-Freq
I read a thread on another forum about this topic.

The fanboys on the other forum didn鈥檛 address the bracelet problem. The bracelet is the major failure point IMO, and that鈥檚 what鈥檚 causing 99% of the abrasive discomfort鈥 at least for me.

Does anyone here have a vintage late 1960鈥檚 1116 bracelet? If so, how does it feel when you slide it across your wrist?

Premium Member
As an everyday wearer of the 3861 on different straps, this has never been an issue at all for me
I have to agree. Never have I worn a watch with a more comfortable stainless steel bracelet. After I started reading this thread, I slipped the watch on-and-off about 10 times without any discomfort. Anyway, I'm not here to judge the level of anyone else's comfort or discomfort, just to give my personal view based on experience.

Very satisfied with the watch overall. And I never intend to wear it on anything but the stainless steel bracelet.

Registered
There is an odd thing that happens in this community, I'd like to call the Rolex Effect.
When people see something new and they try to find a major flaw to trash it. Is this Schadenfreude?

I'd say so but some of these people actually really want a 3861 but either can not afford it, can not find one or try to talk themselves out of it since they have a 1861.

It's okay to want a watch and not speak badly of it.

Registered
There is an odd thing that happens in this community, I'd like to call the Rolex Effect.
When people see something new and they try to find a major flaw to trash it. Is this Schadenfreude?

I'd say so but some of these people actually really want a 3861 but either can not afford it, can not find one or try to talk themselves out of it since they have a 1861.

Those are some major assumptions there. I seriously doubt that so many people who were super excited about the new Speedmaster release would suddenly start to intentionally look for flaws in the watch. Makes zero sense.
This might only be a problem that affects a small percentage of the watches manufactured but there definitely seems to be something there. I personally haven鈥檛 tried on the new Speedy but I鈥檓 very curious and will try one on as soon as I can drop by an Omega Boutique.

Registered
Those are some major assumptions there. I seriously doubt that so many people who were super excited about the new Speedmaster release would suddenly start to intentionally look for flaws in the watch. Makes zero sense.
This might only be a problem that affects a small percentage of the watches manufactured but there definitely seems to be something there. I personally haven鈥檛 tried on the new Speedy but I鈥檓 very curious and will try one on as soon as I can drop by an Omega Boutique.
Just something I've seen with luxury watches. New ones will come out and I'll see members of this forum trash them only to go and buy one down the line.
It happens way more often then you know PRIME EXAMPLE \/

So...is it time to nickname the new moonwatch as Jack the Ripper yet?

Registered
Just something I've seen with luxury watches. New ones will come out and I'll see members of this forum trash them only to go and buy one down the line.
It happens way more often then you know PRIME EXAMPLE \/
Didn鈥檛 mean to offend. Just trying to make light of the situation. Apologies if the message didn鈥檛 get across.

But I still won鈥檛 get this version of the speedy though as I already have the 1861 hesalite, and that decision came even before these allegations came out. True or not, I have other reasons why I won鈥檛 and it mostly involves the bracelet and dial. No need to elaborate.

Carry on.

Registered

The only problem is, there actually seems to be a potentially significant flaw. It isn't "trashing" if it's true. Granted, we don't know if all of these watches are flawed, or just some of them. The one I handled was flawed and because of that flaw, I was not willing to pay for the watch even though I love the visual design changes Omega made in the new model.

As an aside, the QC issues with this Moonwatch along with QC issues I had with my Planet Ocean 8900 I recently purchased have me a little concerned with Omega's QC control. It has me wondering whether or not there is a bigger issue going on with Omega at the moment. For example, my 1861 Speedy I purchased in 2018 was perfect. My Aqua Terra 8900 I purchased in 2019 was perfect. My Planet Ocean 8900 I purchased in 2020 had a pretty badly misaligned bezel along with inconsistent brushing to polishing lines on one side of the case that were notably skewed. I went back to my AD and every one of the four remaining Planet Oceans they had were plagued with the same issue. It was the same story with the Planet Oceans at my local Omega Boutique.

While my experience with Omega customer service was poor, ultimately, they addressed my concerns and fixed my PO. That leads me to believe that eventually whatever is going on with the new Speedy will be rectified. The issue, however, is that these watches are not inexpensive and nit picking issues like these is completely fair given how much money we spend on them.

Given how great my other watches have been, I want to give Omega the benefit of the doubt and say these QC issues have to somehow be pandemic related. Still, given my issues with my PO, my most recent purchase was a Tudor.

Registered
I have tried on the new speedy hesalite at my local Omega boutique and I was very unimpressed by the bracelet. It did scratch and scrape against my skin; the edges were sharp. I was so focused on my dislike for the bracelet that I didn't pay close enough attention to the watch head for sharpe edges there as well. At this point, I would say I prefer my 1861 Speedy with one exception - the new dial on the 3861 is very nice.
Having also held the new speedy hesalite I agree that the bracelet isn鈥檛 great. In the hands it just feels a lot cheaper than it should.

Registered
Disappointing to hear about the bracelet issues. My boutique said they may receive some earlier than expected and I鈥檓 first in line to get one. Thinking I might have to try one of the newer models before I commit.

Registered

I have multiple 1861鈥檚, including one still in the factory wrap.

I also have one of the first 3861鈥檚 sold in the USA (early January watch, sold before they official hit boutiques).

The watch I have in hand, and the two others I have checked out since buying, all have the issue.

It鈥檚 not a nitpicky thing - it stands out and is a very obvious departure from every other luxury watch on the market, including every other omega watch I have come into contact with.

The only reason I ended up with this one, is I bought sight unseen, in dealer plastics.

The new watch looks incredible. It鈥檚 very light weight, and wears comfortable.

Sliding it on the wrist, or handling the watch, due to the acute edges on case and bracelet - the watch feels cheap, like a poor micro brand or alibaba homage watch.

-Freq

Registered
It sounds like it may have been an early tooling issue that maybe Omega has since adjusted.

If I was in the market for a speedy pro I would probably just want to see it in person or have the ability to return it.

I wonder if the warranty would cover something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
It sounds like it may have been an early tooling issue that maybe Omega has since adjusted.

If I was in the market for a speedy pro I would probably just want to see it in person or have the ability to return it.

I wonder if the warranty would cover something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it'll be considered a warranty issue. As it is just a matter of opinions. It's nothing wrong really, is there... Nothing is faulty. Could be called a feature, right. But I hope it'll be on their good will, or let's say customer care account, to have it fixed.

I'm pretty convinced we are ending up with the amount of will and effort from Omegas side.
Hope they will clear this issue within short!

Registered

Although there may be some truth to your general observation, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

We've got some enthusiasts here who really want to like the watch, but they've identified an actual flaw and described it in great detail. I thank them, because it's something that I could have easily missed when I eventually try one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Although there may be some truth to your general observation, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

We've got some enthusiasts here who really want to like the watch, but they've identified an actual flaw and described it in great detail. I thank them, because it's something that I could have easily missed when I eventually try one.
That's sort of the idea with the forum, isn't it?
Sharing ideas and thoughts in a positive tone, giving energy to the discussions.
At least that's what I intend to do. :)

Registered
I picked up a 3 month old trade In " Like New" 1863 Sapphire Sandwich for $ 4445.00 from my AD and have no desire for the New Speedy. I honestly can't figure out why it took me so long to buy a Moon Watch .
The Timeless Watch Channel review was harsh but for that kind of money the watch should not have the flaws that exist.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts