WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wus brothers, can I get some info on this watch? I checked a few websites without luck. Does Higuchi carry these by chance? Also what is the price range and finally has anyone used discountwatchstore.com? They claim to be an authorized Orient dealer in the US and their prices seem very competitive. Thank you in advance for any info and pictures if possible:thanks

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I haven't seen them on the bay for quite a while so I would guess they are discontinued. Higuchi, also ask Seiya as well, they could always check for you if you submit a request form. The price range was around $150 if I remember correctly, maybe a bit less. And, yes, I have dealt with discountwatchstore, I bought an Invicta diver there (shopping experience was way better than the watch experience). Awesome people to deal with, free sizing, usually free and always fast shipping, all in all they got an A+ for me. I actually think I wrote a review about them... but I cannot seem to find it now.

Edit: I believe they received a great grade from the BBB, and they also claim to do their own QC before they ship out their watches, which is nice if really true.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick!, I guess the pic I saw of the beast must be old. What an interesting design it is (kind of like a cross between a tuna and the orient300m diver). What I did not Know is how inexpensive they are/were, since you say they cost abou $150. I am surprised no one has posted any pics so far. It really is a very cool looking watch!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
When I first joined the forum I used to see a few around on the "watch you wearing" threads but seems like since the beginning of the summer I haven't seen any. It wasn't too long ago someone had a red one for sale but they seem to be thinning out. Just keep an eye out on the sales forum and check out the PMWF (Poor Man's Watch Forum) sales forums as well.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
The beasts are amongst those watches that went through a period of being the flavor of the month (kind of like Mako's are currently around this forum). a bunch of people got them, especially as new variants came out. then all of a sudden, as with most "watches of the moment", interest dried up. I don't know if Orient has discontinued them or not, but interest around these parts surely has waned.

I always thought it was a nice enough watch, which had lots of potential, but sadly suffered from too many of Orients traditional odd styling choices. on the plus side, this watch really helped bring orient to the attention to a lot of newer collectors, who would have otherwise considered Seiko's more typical fare.

As a side note on styling, has anyone noticed that over the past year, Orient has taken major leaps forward in terms of Styling, pretty much across their entire range?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
if your talking about this, I own 4 of them orange, black, yellow and grey I love them. You can still get the red off the bay for $130 + shipping. When they first came out it was more colors but that seemed to dry up fast. They had a blue-green, white but those were really rare. Good luck in your search if i get time i will post a pic of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if your talking about this, I own 4 of them orange, black, yellow and grey I love them. You can still get the red off the bay for $130 + shipping. When they first came out it was more colors but that seemed to dry up fast. They had a blue-green, white but those were really rare. Good luck in your search if i get time i will post a pic of mine
Thank you jakisbck, I envy that you have 4!! great pic, send more if you can.:-!

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Orient Beast wasn't too popular when it first came out, but when supply started to diminish, everybody and their brother wanted one or two or three. I guess people realized that it was an incredible watch for the money.
Today it has a cult following and some colors are really in demand. The black is the most sought after color and is an extremely rare find and commands premmium $$$.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are my two (that's one in the sig, too):
Not the best pics, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The beasts are amongst those watches that went through a period of being the flavor of the month (kind of like Mako's are currently around this forum).
I've noticed that too lately. One night I logged on and saw the top six posts were all Orient posts. How long do you think it will be before 'interest dries up' for the Mako?

... me, I think it will be a long time. :-!

- Chad

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
You know it's because you just can't say anything bad about this watch---like the Monster, it's so value-packed for the price, it's almost a give away, and an above entry-level watch for a first time auto watch owner.

Angelis

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
You know it's because you just can't say anything bad about this watch---like the Monster, it's so value-packed for the price, it's almost a give away, and an above entry-level watch for a first time auto watch owner.
I can say a few things I don't like about it which have kept me away:

1. Me too styling

2. smallish crown.

3. smaller than I generally like my watches

4. a rough clicking bezel.

Don't get me wrong, If one of those deals you can't turn away from came my way I would jump on one of these. However for it's going eBay price, I find most seiko offerings diver offerings in this price range to be better buys. But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Don't get me wrong, If one of those deals you can't turn away from came my way I would jump on one of these. However for it's going eBay price, I find most seiko offerings diver offerings in this price range to be better buys. But hey, that's just me.
I'm curious about what your price break point is? You can find Makos on eBay for $99 that are shipped from within the US.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I was shopping around, the closest Sekio that I found in this range was the skx007 and that was around 30% more expensive than the Mako (unless you got it with a rubber strap). Comparing the two I found the Mako to be larger and heavier and seemed to have higher quality pieces. The Seiko's hour markers looked like vinyl stickers instead of the raised, metal-edged ones on the Mako. I also think the hands and logo on the mako are much nicer as well as the two, day/date windows on the Mako with the 'picture frame' beveled edges - compare to the single slot cut out of the Seiko's dial (I think the Seiko's face looks "cheap"). I've never found the crown on the Mako to be too small, but I like the 4 o'clock placement on the Seiko better. The Mako's 2 o'clock pusher seems to turn a lot of people off because it is so unique... but I like it and I have never before heard the styling described as "me too". The problem with the Makos bezel is that the edges are beveled and smoothed so it is really hard to get a grip on it. As a result, I find that I leave mine centered at 12 o'clock and don't use it as much as I might if it was easier to grab like the Seiko's. :-(

I would take a more expensive Seiko (like the Sumo) over the Mako in an instant. An instant! ;-). However; it is hard enough to find an auto diver in the same price range as the Mako, but with the same accuracy and attention to detail? I don't know of a single one. :think: JME

- Chad

Edit: I just remembered that this was a Beast thread. Sorry skyworker. I think the beast looks awesome and was following a couple ebay auctions a while back. The reason why I didn't go through with the deal is I am not a big fan of having a cyclops on the crystal, and the lugs seemed kind of narrow for my taste (might have been an optical illusion).

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a yellow one on eBay now for $148 "Buy it Now"...(I'm not the seller in case anyone's wondering)

I've wanted to get one for a while now, but I can't afford it at this time, so I'll pass the tip along to anyone else who is looking...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts