WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been addressed elsewhere in the Forum but here goes: I've noticed that several Swiss brands are now offering 'more affordable' quartz models: Baume et Mercier, Frederique Constant and Eterna come to mind; Longines has always had a broad selection of quartz models and even Omega has a quartz Aqua Terra. Grand Seiko has a quartz option. Then there's Ebel - but I know that's considered a 'fashion brand.' Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion. Input from Forum posters is invited.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I like mechanicals because they have soul....he he he.

But, i think as the years go on quartz has become more popular especially as we have generations now that have never owned mechanical watches and think nothing of battery power especially with the advent of smart watches. So why not a posh quartz, they are more accurate after all. Rolex will be making one next!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quartz isn't my go-to option but I will get at least one or two high accuracy quartz options in my future. Specifically, I like Grand Seiko, Citizen and Longines as options.

Farer released a double-split flyback quartz chronograph recently. It has typical Farer colorway and style which I think looks good and is more fun than some of the more traditional options.

Pendine_tan_perf_922x922.jpg

·
Registered
455 Posts
The intracity of mechanical movements is what brought me to this hobby in the first place. So many parts working together to effectively conquer time - reminds me of all the small coincidences and actions that lead to life being the way it is. I have nothing against quartz, but it just doesn’t fascinate me in the same way... If I couldn’t have a mechanical watch, I’d probably just wear an apple watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
There are thousands of people wearing quartz in the form of Daniel Wellington, G-Shock, affordable Seikos, and that doesn't include our fellow watch enthusiasts.

In our small circle, I can only speak for myself, but yes, it is. I never had anything against quartz, it's just that quartz watches never interested me, when I really began chasing my watch enthusiasm three years ago. My only two quartz watches are still gifts from a friend, and not really my style so see little use, but I am now also interested in adding an affordable "fun" quartz for those times when I want to throw on a different type of watch and not have to set the time.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
This may have been addressed elsewhere in the Forum but here goes: I've noticed that several Swiss brands are now offering 'more affordable' quartz models: Baume et Mercier, Frederique Constant and Eterna come to mind; Longines has always had a broad selection of quartz models and even Omega has a quartz Aqua Terra. Grand Seiko has a quartz option. Then there's Ebel - but I know that's considered a 'fashion brand.' Personally, I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion. Input from Forum posters is invited.
Well you're sort of basing an argument on an assumption... I'm not sure there is any "quartz taboo", in the watch manufacturing world (some snobs here, yes, but that is different). And even as far as your examples, the quartz Omega AT was made for years but I think it's actually out of production now(?), and same for the Seamaster - so if that's true there's an example of things going the other way at Omega...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Maybe the "taboo" wasn't real and was just the drumming of those who prefer something other than quartz.

I hope higher end players and "real watch makers" entering and offering more in the quartz market will bring better finish to the products, and help to dispel the rumor/notion/believe that quartz watches are disposable mall pieces. Fashion brands such as *you pick one* are disposables, hence the emphasis on real watch makers.

The bigger question is, with the exception of Seiko's GS, how will playing in this space affect the reputation of these companies?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Maybe the "taboo" wasn't real and was just the drumming of those who prefer something other than quartz.

I hope higher end players and "real watch makers" entering and offering more in the quartz market will bring better finish to the products, and help to dispel the rumor/notion/believe that quartz watches are disposable mall pieces. Fashion brands such as *you pick one* are disposables, hence the emphasis on real watch makers.

The bigger question is, with the exception of Seiko's GS, how will playing in this space affect the reputation of these companies?

I don't think it has much effect on the reputation of the companies. Some mfg will certainly choose to never produce quartz watches (may be Blancpain??), and may use it as a marketing tool as a way to increase its credibility as a true mechanical watch mfg. However, JLC produces quality quartz watches as well, and no one would say that its ability to manufacture high quality and complicated movements is diminished because of it.

For the sake of argument, is selling watches with a high quality in-house quartz movement worse than selling watches with a run-of-the-mill third party auto?

There are many parts and aspects to a watch, and movement is one of them (may be a big portion but a portion nonetheless). I would weigh in the other aspects as well (e.g., fit and finish of the case, dials, bracelets, etc.) and the purpose (daily wear, dress, beater, etc.) when considering a watch.

I'm in fact enjoying my recently purchased quartz watch today:
SBBN035-1 (edit).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Quartz is interesting, because people think that the movement inside is the really expensive part and the dial, hands, case finishing, and bracelet are apparently cheap afterthoughts, it gets tricky on how to price a quartz versus the same watch with a basic finished mechanical movement inside.

Personally for me, after time with mechanical watches, I have a hard time with the slow second hand rhythm of a quartz. With the advent of solar powered quartz I dont see why they couldn't make it a smooth or at least high beat second hand since power draw would be less important.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I like mechanicals because they have soul....he he he.

But, i think as the years go on quartz has become more popular especially as we have generations now that have never owned mechanical watches and think nothing of battery power especially with the advent of smart watches. So why not a posh quartz, they are more accurate after all. Rolex will be making one next!
Seems they already have.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69,490 Posts
I don’t think the quartz taboo is slipping away in so much as manufacturers are increasingly realising that there are potential watch buyers out there who don’t get the same kick out of mechanical timepieces that most of us do.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Quartz has a number of things in its favor for a certain user set, namely economy, durability and accuracy. That said I love mechanicals (and I'm wearing an Orient M-Force mechanical this week) but quartz gets the nod when I'm doing heavy work that I know is going to impart jarring force or possible damage to my arm piece.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Personally, I now have quartz watches in my collection and I never thought I would. So, for me, yes - the tide is changing.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Since the majority of watches sold are quartz, I would have to say that mechanical watches are the new taboo and their sales are slipping away.

·
Banned
104 Posts
I have nothing against quartz - but I know that's a minority opinion.
^^ ?

Don't kid yourself. There is no taboo. You need to add, "on the watch forums" to the end of your statement. In the real world quartz watches far, far outnumber mechanical watches. Most people who wear a watch (and that number is dwindling daily) wear quartz watches. They wonder why anyone in their right mind would buy a watch that is less accurate and requires an investment of hundreds of additional dollars every five years to upkeep. Opinions offered by WIS on watch forums are but a small percentage of how people feel regarding watches. It is easy for us to forget as watch geeks that 99% of the people out there regard us as the odd ones.

To answer your question from a personal perspective, I have two quartz watches and I love their grab and go-ness. There is a reason that the quartz revolution almost put an end to mechanical watches.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts