WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is the Speedy Pro a Bargain

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved house and have switched insurance companies, the new lot have asked for copies of receipts for my watch purchases, no problem, I still have them all, it wasn't untill I photocopied them that I realised just how far down the list my new Speedy Moonwatch was in terms of value (I paid £1320 at my AD).
Intrigued, I did a little window shopping on the net, and other manufacturers watches at that price are not particularly inspiring.

So the question is, even at full list price, isn't the Speedy Pro, actually a bit of a bargain......?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know I'm going to get shot down big time for saying this, but I think it's quite overpriced. Yes, yes, history and all that jazz (plus it's a beautiful watch but so are many other for less money), but for the money I want something that will wind itself and has a date. Flame on guys, flame on.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know I'm going to get shot down big time for saying this, but I think it's quite overpriced. Yes, yes, history and all that jazz (plus it's a beautiful watch but so are many other for less money), but for the money I want something that will wind itself and has a date. Flame on guys, flame on.
No flames forthcoming from this corner, :rodekaart at least. There is no correct answer. It's simply a matter of perception. It's on my list for buying and soon! :)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
It's impossible to put a value on the whole Moonwatch connection- it's simply of no value to some and an obsession to others(for instance, I saw a Bond movie in the '60's, grew up and haven't seen another since so THAT connection means nothing to ME). Omega does seem to update the movement from time to time so there should be some premium paid for R&D. It is a durable watch with a chrono complication and very good resale value. The Omega brand is a "premium" brand, not really top tier but still recognized the world over and this certainly has tangible value.
So I voted for priced about right.
Don

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm still trying to get my head around the price they want for an AP ROO! :think:
For sure, QT, but after dwelling in the land of Omega for awhile, all else seems way overpriced. :roll:

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
When a watch has been in continuous production for fifty years you can be sure it is somehow getting it right. What is the premium you should pay for a watch that can be genuinely said to have gently evolved over that period.

There are quite a few watches that, to me, look better on their own. There are very very few that hit the spot quite so well on the wrist. I think that the Speedy is a fair price but I am astonished that Omega don't charge significantly more for it - I'm pretty sure that they could.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Compared to other "classic" Swiss watch models, IMHO the Speedy is somewhat of a bargain.

Word in the wrist watch market place is that Omega is considering some rather substantial list price increases over the next year or two. I've heard that the boys at HQ feel they're prepared to "upgrade" the Omega line to price points more in line with the Rolex's of the world (does that mean rip off?). Though I can't substantiate this info, it will interesting to see what develops. Will the rest of the world see Omega differently if they raise the retails 50%??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
For me I think it is a bargain.

How many watches can boast that they were the first on the moon? When you think that the Speedy is the classic Omega I think the RRP is great value (especially in light of the fact you can get a great discount unlike others).

Comapred to other brands classics (Rolex - SUB / Breitling - Navitimer) and their prices the Speedy is a classic and great value.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When a watch has been in continuous production for fifty years you can be sure it is somehow getting it right. What is the premium you should pay for a watch that can be genuinely said to have gently evolved over that period.

There are quite a few watches that, to me, look better on their own. There are very very few that hit the spot quite so well on the wrist. I think that the Speedy is a fair price but I am astonished that Omega don't charge significantly more for it - I'm pretty sure that they could.
I am willing to bet that a fair number of first time Omega buyers choose the speedy pro. If this the case they will probably be back in the future to purchase additional watches. If the watch was more expensive there might not be nearly as many first time buyers.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I believe it is a very fair price for a fine timepiece - The history, durable movement, timeless looks & function make it a bargain. One of the best bang for buck timepieces available. Im really surprised its not at a higher rrp price.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
I'm voting reasonable...............................

But I'm betting that the folks that think it's overpriced, also think that buying a Rolex is highway robbery! Which it very well may be. David

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Easily the best bargain in the watch world, bar none. Like M4tt, I'm amazed Omega only charges approx. £1600 for this watch. The fact that TAG Heuer charge around £1800 for a Carrera says it all for me...

Beautifully finished and very handsome, it looks great on the supplied bracelet, but a strap transforms this watch. It makes it such a versatile and sporty piece (which is something I never thought I'd say until I put a strap on mine).

A must have if you're mad about watches, imho:-!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Still not convinced

But I'm betting that the folks that think it's overpriced, also think that buying a Rolex is highway robbery! Which it very well may be. David
Rolexes do charge ridiculous prices for their watches. Simply compare the SMP with the Submariner - very similar spec watches yet one is more than 150% the cost of the other.

I just don't see the point in paying the premium for a watch that is a manual wind, and with no date. It'll take a lot of convincing to get me to change my mind on that. Carburretors have been constantly evolving since the 60's and are very high tech now, and are pure sports/muscle history, but I certainly wouldn't want my car (WRX, so might be tough anyway) running on one.

And yes, eventually I can see myself buying a Speedmaster Pro, but it will be second hand, and at a special price before I do.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
So the question is, even at full list price, isn't the Speedy Pro, actually a bit of a bargain......?
Emotionally... sure, if that's what floats yer boat. Economically, no chance. The R&D was paid off a million years ago, and it's light on features (no date, automatic winding system, applied dial furniture, plating or WR to speak of - all of which cost money to implement). There is a great deal of surplus in the RRP/MSRP/etc of a Speedipro, which probably explains the room to move on the price.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Speedy is something of an anomaly in the watch world, with no date, manual winding movement, and simple, understated design. Why? Because that's how it's always been. Why mess with perfection?

A date would upset the balance and amazing legibility of the dial.
The c.x861 has proven to be one of the most rugged, durable chronograph movements ever created.

Whether or not it's a "bargain" is a tough question. Some would say that all watches in this range are overpriced. But, when compared to watches like Heuer's Carrera, the price seems very fair. When compared to watches like the Daytona, it seems like quite a bargain.

For the impressive history, classic movement, and proven durability, I think Speedy is priced fairly.

eric

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Since getting my own Speedy Pro I've always actually thought that the watch is being sold under priced. Its' just something I feel, having owned the watch, knowing the quality, the satisfaction I derive from it, something that a different brand can't possibly give (in the same category---as mentioned, the Tag Carrera, perhaps some Breitlings).

I'd give the Speedy Pro a few price points higher if I were Mr. Hayek, but I guess there must be some angle as to why it is not as expensive as I think it should be...(no offense to anyone!):)

So I voted fair.

Glimmer

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wish it were a bit cheaper. How about that?

I actually think it's fairly priced.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I believe that it should be about 25% cheaper than what it is.
Agreed. Omega is making a l-o-o-o-t of money on each Speedy sale, and it appears folks are more than happy to line up and hand over their surplus. More power to Omega's elbow - perhaps they should put the price up, not down!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts