WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-ho.

Noticed that there are basically two kinds of people - those who want to get stuff A for as low a price as possible no matter what as long as it is A, and then there are people who feel that buying a 5k$ watch for 999.99 will make them think of it as a 999.99 $ watch.

So, wanted to throw the question out here, do you value your watches based on their retail price or the price you paid for it? If you get a watch with, say, 50% discount, will it make you always think of it as a "discounter"? (Obviously, this doesn't include sentimental & gift watches, their value is entirely emotion-based)..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i love this kind of question.

yes. first, cost is not vs with value. in my marketing text book there's summarized theory that cost is a price [can be money, time, physocological, etc] that we pay to achieve benefit, not value. while quality stands for concrete measurement such as material, accuracy, enginnering, etc. and value measures prestige, brand recognition, and our experience as when we use the product.

quality can be/oftenly measured by scale, universal, objective, scientific, for example; accuracy, material hardness, crystal purity, product reliabilty under extreme condition. each scale represent one level, and different level clearly reveal different result. if i made 1-10 scale diamond clarity, which 1 worst and 10 best, you can argue 2 is more qualified than 3 because we can see the difference by observing, oftenly with naked eyes.

value can't be measured by scale, individual or at least particular group, subjective, unscientific, for example; brand perceived, prestige, brand experience. for example, me myself honestly state that i have far more experince and perceived with TAG brand despite Seiko. not because Seiko has lower quality, but because TAG gives their customer more clear and higher branding postion. they do that in a way such as assign ambassador. once again, it doesn't state any little thing about quality but value, but it's state brand experience, which differ individually.

so Yes, the price i pay is equal to the value i seek but NOt the quality i oftenly expect.

regards,
Ryan

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
My watches hold no monetary value to me. I don't see a 10k dollar watch purchased at 7k for either value. A watch to me is nothing more then a an accessory.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Value can and must exceed cost. But value to me in this hobby is the intangible, the joy each watch brings to the party which is my modest collection.

Its a bit pointless getting into discussions about economic utility. I just try to maximise my first statement.

But to the OPs question - If i pay $500 for a $1000 watch, to me its still a $1000 watch. Thats its replacement value if I drop it off the balcony whilst trying to paint the roof.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I don't think value is a big consideration when buying any luxury item. If you're into cars, you'll pay $50,000 or more for a "better" vehicle. If you're not, you'll wonder why some fool blew all that cash when a $15,000 car gets you where you're going just fine - and probably gets better gas mileage and costs less to insure. Spending $1000 or more on custom clubs is inane to somebody that doesn't golf. "Value" may not be exactly the correct term - it's more a matter of the item being worth your money, and that's individually subjective.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If I get, let's say, a $5000 watch for only $1000 then everytime I look at it on my wrist I will be reminded of what a great deal I got!

It will still be a $5000 watch to me, it will just make me happier knowing that I got it at 1/5th of it's actual price.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Assuming it's real and not stolen of course, getting a discount on a relatively expensive watch doesn't cheapen it in my opinion.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,082 Posts
Hey-ho.

Noticed that there are basically two kinds of people - those who want to get stuff A for as low a price as possible no matter what as long as it is A, and then there are people who feel that buying a 5k$ watch for 999.99 will make them think of it as a 999.99 $ watch.

So, wanted to throw the question out here, do you value your watches based on their retail price or the price you paid for it? If you get a watch with, say, 50% discount, will it make you always think of it as a "discounter"? (Obviously, this doesn't include sentimental & gift watches, their value is entirely emotion-based)..
I tend to look for the best price possible from a reputable dealer. As a consequence I pass up some really good deals from some dealers whose reputation is less than sterling.

However, once I have the watch the price I paid becomes much less important. Once in my hands I value a watch as something to be enjoyed, shared and worn. If I got a great deal on a Seiko 4S15 that discount would in no way diminish the value of that watch.

The historic price paid by me or anyone else for a watch bears little relationship to the current market price. What you paid at one time is irrelevant to what it might bring now. As others said Ebay is probably the best single indicator of the current real world value or watches and a lot of other goods.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well to me, I see watches with two prices: its real price and MSRP/suggested retail. By real price, I mean prices you would normally find on the internet. For example, a Seiko Monster is $400+ at an AD, but around $160 online. I do not value the watch as a $400 watch, but as a $160 watch. If I can get it cheaper than $160, I'd still value it as a $160 watch.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
The only caveat I'd have for the arguments here, would be the case of an artificially inflated MSRP designed to give the appearance of substantial discounts.

·
Registered
38,834 Posts
:think: Using that, a Lang & Heyne - Albert of Saxony runs about 75K MSRP,
that makes it a 30K watch on-line; where!? :-s
Well to me, I see watches with two prices: its real price and MSRP/suggested retail. By real price, I mean prices you would normally find on the internet. For example, a Seiko Monster is $400+ at an AD, but around $160 online. I do not value the watch as a $400 watch, but as a $160 watch. If I can get it cheaper than $160, I'd still value it as a $160 watch.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
:think: Using that, a Lang & Heyne - Albert of Saxony runs about 75K MSRP,
that makes it a 30K watch on-line; where!? :-s
I don't think he said, or even implied, that this is the case with all watchs. Only the watches that he's seen. Obviously some watches aren't going to be discounted anywhere.

·
Registered
38,834 Posts
That's the way it came across to me. Four years ago I saw a WIS type
try to haggle a discount from Marco Lang.
I don't think he said, or even implied, that this is the case with all watchs. Only the watches that he's seen. Obviously some watches aren't going to be discounted anywhere.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
That's the way it came across to me. Four years ago I saw a WIS type
try to haggle a discount from Marco Lang.
I don't know, it seems pretty obvious to me. By comparison, if I say that 'All car companies seem to be offering 0% down and 0% interest financing', it can be reasonably assumed that I'm not including Ferrari, Lamborghini or Bugatti in that list of 'all car companies'.

Haggling and online discounts aren't the same thing, either. I'm sure pleanty of wealthy people have gone into Ferrari dealerships and bargained with their sales people, I don't know if they were successful, but I'm sure it's been tried. Wealthy people tend to be wealthy for a couple of reasons, and fiscal conservatism is one of the big ones. But that's entirely different than seeing accross the board price cuts online for 25, 50, or even 75 percent.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I tend to value/enjoy a watch more if my cost is minimal for what I perceive it to be worth. In simple words, I tend to enjoy a purchase more if I feel I've gotten a true bargain.

What I perceive a watch to be worth is tied to many things. The retail price can be one, but not necessarily the most important especially for brands that routinely can be had for significant discount (>>30%) off retail. Complication, design, aesthetics, features, comfort, cost of comparable models from other brands are some of the other important factors.

I generally do not enjoy paying up for "brand recognition" very much. I will do it to an extent, but only when I know I'm getting an exceptional price for the exact piece I want. But overall I'm much less likely to value branding over one of the aforementioned factors.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey-ho.

Well, tricky one this. Since watches aren't usually a rational decision, the process up to actually buying it is part of the experience. I do try to rationalise it, as in, is it worth working xx hours for watch y. So if I know I worked say, 100 hours for a watch, it tends to be more valuable to me, than if I got it for 20 hours worth on eBay. Somehow going to an AD and buying it seems to add a certain something. I guess receiving a brown box with a 'HANDLE WITH CARE' sticker, just isn't as romantic.
The trader in me would resell the watch quite likely if I got an especially good deal and there's a profit in it.

·
Registered
38,834 Posts
To me, "I see watches" is a blanket statement. Perhaps a pole.
I don't know, it seems pretty obvious to me. By comparison, if I say that 'All car companies seem to be offering 0% down and 0% interest financing', it can be reasonably assumed that I'm not including Ferrari, Lamborghini or Bugatti in that list of 'all car companies'.

Haggling and online discounts aren't the same thing, either. I'm sure pleanty of wealthy people have gone into Ferrari dealerships and bargained with their sales people, I don't know if they were successful, but I'm sure it's been tried. Wealthy people tend to be wealthy for a couple of reasons, and fiscal conservatism is one of the big ones. But that's entirely different than seeing accross the board price cuts online for 25, 50, or even 75 percent.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hey-ho.

For me the value of a watch has nothing to do with either its list price or how much I paid for it. I value it for the pleasure and satisfaction it gives me, how well it is made and finished, how well it performs its functions.

I may pay over the odds for something because I really want it and believe I will value it enough to justify spending the money and even if eventually I decide to sell it and lose a large chunk of my shirt, I shan't feel badly about it if it pleased me enough to begin with.

I recently paid more for a watch than I could really afford and quickly found that it didn't give me the satisfaction I expected. I didn't value it enough to keep it and sold it for a good deal less than I'd paid. I didn't feel good about that one, but I guess something of the sort must happen to us all.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Guess it depends on your definition of retail price. I value my watches around the average street price for the watch, not the MSRP. If I buy a watch for less than the current street price I'm pleased, but I would still value it closer to the average price I could be expected to purchase it for.

For some brands the retail price and street price are going to be similar. Some brands just don't discount much. Even used prices may not be all the much lower than what they'd cost from a dealer. Other watches have sometimes wildly inflated MSRPs to make it seem that when you purchase them for 50%, 75% or 90% off you're getting a great deal. With those brands, I feel they're only worth what you're paying for them, not the MSRP. Actually, with brands like that I may think they're even worth less - no reputable manufacturer is going to play games like that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts