WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as it seems to be discontinued. I'm thinking a higher quality 38mm 6R15. Otherwise I guess I have to go with the SARB033. Unless someone has a source for the 21s that they are willing to PM me!! ;-)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Depending on finances, and if you're not completely wedded to the 38 mm diameter part, then I'd be more inclined to opt for the SDGM003, which you'll need to import from Japan.
The design is a whole other level above the SARBs you're looking at.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that, and it looks great, but I think too big for me. 37 or 38 is ideal. Found one SARB021 at a Japan based website. I am contemplating buying but it is even more expensive than the nice SDGM003 you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I saw that, and it looks great, but I think too big for me. 37 or 38 is ideal. Found one SARB021 at a Japan based website. I am contemplating buying but it is even more expensive than the nice SDGM003 you mentioned.
Unless your arms are as thin as a pipe cleaner, then 40.5 mm will be fine – it may look a bit strange at first, but in a short space of time, you'll feel completely at ease with it.
The SDGM Brightz are a whole other level above SARB, even the exalted ones, and the only discontinued models that would give them a run for their money, is the SAGQ001/003 and (too a slightly lesser degree) the SDGC Limited Editions done in conjunction with Bacardi Japan.
There's a SAGQ003 on Yahoo auctions, which is a bit of a rare sight – so don't dilly dally over deciding which to go for.

I'd be very surprised if you struggled to sell it on, should it turn out not be the right one for you – so it might be worth the gamble to give it a shot and see.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Aesthetically, neither of those do for me what my SARB021 does, but they are beautiful.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless your arms are as thin as a pipe cleaner....
6.5" They are bigger than pipe cleaner, but smaller than a human wrist! :) Depending on bezel width, and dial size, even a 40 can look a little imposing on them. But I could pull it off if I decided that the finishing merited the change (money being about even) between the SDGM003 and the SARB021.

I'm really trying to research and understand what those differences are. I found this. Can anybody elaborate on what would be better about the overall SDGM vs SARB. I get that it is a higher line for Seiko, but without being able to hold them side by side, it's challenging to see anything in the photos to indicate that.

"....Aesthetically, the designs pulls heavily from Grand Seiko’s catalogue and, quite similarly, from the more affordable SARB line. The details and finishing, however, make up for the surcharge. In the case of the SDGM003, you get a gorgeous sunburst dial in a deep inky black, a sapphire crystal, and a much more refined case and bracelet. Also, the watch is layered in Diashield, a DLC-like coating developed by Seiko to protect cases from scratches....."

Thank you all for your input and assistance!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith......not everything can be or has to be rationalised – it can be as simple as one looking nicer than the other, so the extra cost is deemed acceptable.

SARBs are a great watch, but IMO, they are of their time – things have moved on since they were introduced, and consumer's expectations have increased too.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's very subjective. A watch can have finer fit and finish, but if the design doesn't work for you, then the "lesser" one becomes the better.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
It's very subjective. A watch can have finer fit and finish, but if the design doesn't work for you, then the "lesser" one becomes the better.
Very well stated, and very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts