WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

A friend of mine recommended me this website months ago and I've been lurking around ever since. You've all done a fantastic job in making me a watch-fanatic.

I'm looking for a watch to accompany me in many years of adventure and travel - under the sea and above the clouds.

Dive watches are great for my purpose because they're robust but most are missing the worldtime feature where I can easily switch to different time zones. Since there'll be instances where I'll have to wake up very early (to catch a bus or climb a mountain), a loud alarm is much preferred.

Extra features that would be nice to have but aren't deal breakers are:

- Slim profile and light (to avoid being a hindrance when I'm active)
- Displays current date (I tend to lose track of the date when travelling)
- Displays day of the week (same as above)
- Unique design without being too flashy at first glance (I don't want to attract too much attention)

I'm quite excited about getting a watch since I've been watch-free for over 5 years now.

Looking forward to drain my wallet! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't think you'll find a dive watch with all those features.

It honestly sounds like a G-Shock is your best option. Tough as nails. You may not like the style but it functionally checks off every box and will excel in areas the dive watch will not. If you want something thinner, I think the styling of the 5600 series is probably about as thin as you'll get.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using TapaTalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hello All,

A friend of mine recommended me this website months ago and I've been lurking around ever since. You've all done a fantastic job in making me a watch-fanatic.

I'm looking for a watch to accompany me in many years of adventure and travel - under the sea and above the clouds.

Dive watches are great for my purpose because they're robust but most are missing the worldtime feature where I can easily switch to different time zones. Since there'll be instances where I'll have to wake up very early (to catch a bus or climb a mountain), a loud alarm is much preferred.

Extra features that would be nice to have but aren't deal breakers are:

- Slim profile and light (to avoid being a hindrance when I'm active)
- Displays current date (I tend to lose track of the date when travelling)
- Displays day of the week (same as above)
- Unique design without being too flashy at first glance (I don't want to attract too much attention)

I'm quite excited about getting a watch since I've been watch-free for over 5 years now.

Looking forward to drain my wallet! Thanks in advance.
I think you should look at the Citizen classic Aqualand (just search with this three words in google) or look at this link:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f305/citizen-aqualand-classic-ii-jp2000-08e-review-237330.html

I
t has the analog dial for on time, and day/date; second time in the digital display. you can set hour and minutes independant to the analog time. Day/date changes with digital time, so choose that one for GMT (my choice)..

Bart

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd have to agree with Steve on this one...G-shock sounds like what you are looking for. I got my mudman with world time for $20 at goodwill. You can find them for $60ish...I never liked gshocks until I bought one...it's my mowing the lawn/dirty stuff watch - that's still capable of hitting the reef when I feel like taking a dive.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
As much as I love my auto's, a Timex Ironman can do all you ask for and cost less than $50 brand new - day, date, alarm, second time zone, etc, etc. I spend all of my time in the "affordables" range (that term has different meanings depending upon the person asked) and the best value I can find in dual time zone autos is Steinhart. I especially like their Vintage GMT as it is a homage to a little known Rolex, the 1655. This means it isn't too flashy.

The best auto mechanism option in this price range is probably the ETA 2893-2 which by itself is nearly $250 retail, so watches using this mechanism usually start around $500.

The other thing to note is, on autos, the typical way to show a second timezone is to repurpose the "day" mechanism to drive the forth hand. This means you'll get 24 hour time and the date, but not the day.

If I were you, I'd go for the G Shock or the Ironman and save the left over $400+ for gear. Both of those options will fill more requirements than any mechanical i can think of within your price range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are gorgeous looking watches, especially the SKX009! I've never considered going the modding route but I think I just might. 10watches seems pretty reputable. Any other good modders?

I'm looking for a watch that looks sophisticated enough to pair with a suit. The G-shocks and Ironmans won't do :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi, good to hear that we have succeeded in getting a watch back on your wrist after 5 years!

There are several reputable Seiko modders, you already mentioned 10watches (Jake B), you could also take a look at Yobokies, a very well known modder. I live in the Netherlands and we have......Monsterwatches.com. The owner, Rob, has modded several of my Monsters, always to the perfection I need.......:)

Welcome at Monsterwatches, crazy about Seiko watches

Eric

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those are gorgeous looking watches, especially the SKX009! I've never considered going the modding route but I think I just might. 10watches seems pretty reputable. Any other good modders?

I'm looking for a watch that looks sophisticated enough to pair with a suit. The G-shocks and Ironmans won't do :)
Definitely check out Jake B's work at DOT watchworks. Many forum members will vouch for his work, myself included. Home - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

·
Registered
801 Posts
What about the Bernhardt Globemaster - all of those features except day of the week - awesome watch! Second pic is not mine but can't remember where I got it - maybe from the seller when I bought mine -

eli diving 043.jpg Watch Pics 120909 056.jpg

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
As others have said G-shock. For under $150 on Amazon there are are several models that will do it with many other features including Tough Solar and Atomic adjustment. Pass on the Solar and Atomic and your well under $100. I have an a Atomic/solar Riseman that I love. Nothing else comes close. This always comes with me on Travel. GMTs are not world timers. I own quit a few watches and have a automatic world timer but the G-shock is the best plus if you get the atomic you can set all your other watches by it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh, I was expecting a lot more options to choose from! This will be a watch that I'll wear on all occasions, and I think I'll be a bit worried about wearing a G-Shock or Protrek to a formal outing - they look too much like toys to me.

So there aren't that many options for a dive watch, but what about a watch that has water resistance of 100M?

I've been eyeing the Suunto Core, but I tried it on a couple of days ago. The construction feels cheap and the look is a bit too modern and not dressy enough. That said, I'm still leaning towards it because of its impressive functionality!

Please let me know if you have any more recommendations for a watch. This time, it doesn't have to be a dive watch but with water resistance of 100M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts